Testing new Froyo firmware, unlimited app space inside

General Gen8 Archos Tablet discussions
REAVER117
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Re: I am testing new Froyo firmware, unlimited app space ins

Post by REAVER117 »

rushmore wrote:
REAVER117 wrote:Charbax, what 'Firmware version' does the 'About device' page say for the latest Froyo build?
Firefly fan? :)
Ha ha, the Browncoats will rise again!
Farsquidge
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Farsquidge »

REAVER117 wrote:
rushmore wrote:
REAVER117 wrote:Charbax, what 'Firmware version' does the 'About device' page say for the latest Froyo build?
Ha ha, the Browncoats will rise again!
Not if the guys in suits and wearing blue gloves are around!! 8-[
605Wi, A5IMT, A5IT, A7o 8GB:2.4.82
MrGlenneke
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by MrGlenneke »

This makes me so happy! 220 mb for apps is just to low for me!
I know myself, I have a symbian device and I have a lot off apps and android got even more apps.
Now I am 100% sure that I will buy an Archos tablet!
snocrash
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by snocrash »

Charbax wrote:Cajl did the Quadrant benchmark thing on this new firmware:

Source: http://www.jbmm.fr/2010/11/18/froyo-et- ... -quadrant/
Have to say that I'm quite surprised by these scores, here's a text breakdown of what Cajl has listed and what I saw with the same benchmark on 2.1 on my A70, as well as my Droid thrown in for comparison.
Cajl 2.2: CPU(3120) Memory(1157) IO(1357) 2D(259) 3D(375) Total(1254)
My 2.1: CPU(614) Memory(1353) IO(1677) 2D(323) 3D(423) Total(878)
Droid: CPU(4663) Memory(1179) IO(607) 2D(240) 3D(348) Total(1407) Just for comparison running @ 1100Mhz on 2.2.1

I'm surprised given the 1Ghz processor in the A70, that it was only able to increase it's score by about 50%. I'm even more surprised to see that in all areas except the CPU, the Quadrant scores actually went down. I'm hoping this has more to do with apps that were open at the time, or manufacturing differences, then the firmware itself.
rushmore
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by rushmore »

Droid X and Incredible both were in the 900s with 2.1, so the 1200 level is in the lower range but still in range for 2.2. Tegra 2 though raises the bar, big time. I look forward to getting the 101 so I can compare them.

My guess is battery will be better with the 101.
Harfainx

Post by Harfainx »

Unfortunately, these numbers mean nothing for real life environment.

All that determines these scores are how the ROM is built, and it does almost nothing for the device itself.

Just look at the variety of scores that can be attained on an HTC EVO without overclocking. A sloppy ROM will net you ~900, while a sleek ROM with all the fat cut out and a custom kernel will get you ~1900+.

Both ROMs will perform almost identically though. Numbers mean nothing.
oic0
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by oic0 »

Wonder how you sign up for archos beta testing ;)
MarcusMarcus
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by MarcusMarcus »

Harfainx wrote:Unfortunately, these numbers mean nothing for real life environment.

All that determines these scores are how the ROM is built, and it does almost nothing for the device itself.

Just look at the variety of scores that can be attained on an HTC EVO without overclocking. A sloppy ROM will net you ~900, while a sleek ROM with all the fat cut out and a custom kernel will get you ~1900+.

Both ROMs will perform almost identically though. Numbers mean nothing.
I find myself agreeing and disagreeing with you. Yes, the ROM does have effect over how well the system operates, but to say that these numbers mean nothing is incorrect. I think a more correct thing is these numbers aren't everything.
It's like saying the number of horse power in my car's engine is nothing. The horse power is not everything, but working with all the aspects and design, it does play a part in the overall performance.
Archos 70S
Samsung GalaxyS WiFi 5.0
rushmore
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by rushmore »

Harf & Marc,

I think you are both correct. I used to doubt Quandrant (still do to some degree), since I have yet to see how they qualify parameters and what is the weight for the final aggregate score.

Still, I can tell there is some correlation for hardware, at least. Gtablet perfoms better than the Droid X and Inc for PSX and this fits the marginal difference in Quandrant scores (61% better with G). Smooth PSX gaming with Dead or Alive, Tekken 3, NBA 2001, March Madness 2000, NFL Blitz 2001 and Tobal 2. Those games are slow on the Inc and Droid X.

Jeepers! Archos "111" with 512mb ram and Tegra 2 :shock: That would be sweet, but I think that besides mainly some PSX games, the Archos 101 will be a better overall experience, since no modding needed and all the storage locations are working correctly :) Waiting for issues to be fixed on the G. XDA community provides a nice bridge though :)
evilPERSON2009
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by evilPERSON2009 »

^I am going to keep my A101 as long as it can do the follow adequately:
Internet with Flash support
Youtube
Google Earth
Remote Access
Media Steaming
Rom Emulating - Classic 2D stuff like Neo Geo, SNES, NES, and etc. I got my 2x5970x PC, PS3, 360 for all 3D eye candy game needs.

I am not expecting a powerhouse performance from this $284 tablet.
Bierfreund
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Bierfreund »

At the moment it can't do this, evilPERSON2009.

I sent my Archos back today (was the last day it was possible to return it).
I had and still have several Android devices. On all it was possible to get permanent root after a short period of time and on all (leaked) preliminary Froyo versions were available before the release. I'm a bit disappointed because there are a bunch of people out there that have the Beta Froyo versions and it's not available for interested people...
If would be a manufacturer I would make the Beta Froyo versions public (without warranty of course) and would make rooting as easy as possible... It makes the device interesting for more people!
Maybe I will order an Archos Tab again if Froyo and root is available, but if I have a look at the community and politics of Archos I think it's not the right choice for me
rushmore
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by rushmore »

evilPERSON2009 wrote:^I am going to keep my A101 as long as it can do the follow adequately:
Youtube
Google Earth
Remote Access
Media Steaming
Rom Emulating - Classic 2D stuff like Neo Geo, SNES, NES, and etc. I got my 2x5970x PC, PS3, 360 for all 3D eye candy game needs.

Any good NeoGeo apps?

All of your needs will be served well with the 101... when it gets 2.2, of course ;)
evilPERSON2009
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by evilPERSON2009 »

rushmore wrote:
evilPERSON2009 wrote:^I am going to keep my A101 as long as it can do the follow adequately:
Youtube
Google Earth
Remote Access
Media Steaming

Any good NeoGeo apps?

All of your needs will be served well with the 101... when it gets 2.2, of course ;)
Jarcade worked pretty well on my Droidx. You might what to try that app out. Games supported are not as extensive as MAME of PC yet.
Charbax
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Charbax »

I've been testing skype, angry birds, asphalt 5, full screen YouTube playback (double click on any flash video for full screen) I'll wait to figure if the best flash apk is just the general default one or if Archos should use a TI OMAP3630 optimized flash apk before I say too much about smoothness. I just watched about 2 hours of youtube 360p in full screen, ztreamed over my 3G mifi, very watchable but not 100% smooth. Again, let's hear from Archos or other experts how to get the best flash on Gen8 froyo before judging based on some torrented or rapidshared random flash apk that I'm testing. Seeking youtube is not super easy but sdoable and buffering seems short. I want 100% smooth 720p true full screen 100% hardware accelerated 2mbit/s youtube before I am satisfied. I want to try use it as my main PC this week end, with bluetooth keyboard and mouse and using hdmi to my 42" hdtv as main monitor. And actually, I have too, my main adsl seems down, I only can use my Archos on my mifi. Dolphin HD is probably desirable, setup seems to work ok, I need more testing, I definitely want this setup to replace a PC, Chrome for Android would be ideal.
ruqqq
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by ruqqq »

charbax can do me/us a favor? i want to see the output of 2 commands

1. uname -a
2. mount

hopefully you can help out. thanks in advance! can't wait for froyo.
sequitur
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by sequitur »

A few notes... First off congrats to rushmore for making design and test obsolete at Archos. I can't imagine they arrived at their decision on their own. /sarcasm off/ Seriously though I'm glad they did this however as I mentioned it was possible I should be the one to take credit. /satire off/

Actually for the record I credit Archos. They did it and for whatever reason it vindicates my trust they would produce a good product and do whatever they needed to do. nuff on that...

Quadrant scores are only part of the picture as mentioned. I have a Samsung Vibrant, so rushmore your speculation on that is sort of in the ball park but not quite on the mark. Samsung used an internal SD type memory and partitioned 2 GB for apps. This is why the "lag fix" has been popular on this phone. The VFAT file system is not nearly as efficient as other internal nand flash configurations. Typically people go to ext 2/3/4 solutions. BTW this is not just the T-Mo Vibrant but all Galaxy S phones. In mine I have a 14 GB user partition. Getting back to Quadrant, some lag fix scores with 1.2 GHz overclocking and cruft stripped out realized 2000-2800 scores. Team Whiskey had an experimental 1.6 GHz kernel that got something like 3800 while running Eclair, not Froyo! Cyanagens said Quadrant is not to be trusted here because how it works. As a final note on that I have a custom Froyo ROM on my Vibrant. It now scrolls through 400+ photos in the gallery as fast as you can fling it writing thumbnails on the fly almost as fast as it draws the screen. It's very impressive, never lags, never hangs and is easily half again faster for general use... Yet it has barely any different Quadrant score.

Finally, Charbax hasn't said exactly what is going on with this build, but Froyo does let you relocate programs to SD, which in the case of the Archos is safe as it has a fixed internal one. Maybe they tweaked it, maybe not. Somebody posted an A101 video here yesterday saying it was running Froyo. I saw no confirmation, but I did see the silky smooth operation like my phone after update. My A70 is better with Launcher Pro, but I would not be too happy if I didn't have the boost of Froyo to look forward too... Oh, and I just ordered FIOS internet at 35 Gbps which installs the 1st... so I'm thinking browsing the web will be a lot faster!
rushmore
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by rushmore »

sequitur wrote:A few notes... First off congrats to rushmore for making design and test obsolete at Archos. I can't imagine they arrived at their decision on their own. /sarcasm off/ Seriously though I'm glad they did this however as I mentioned it was possible I should be the one to take credit. /satire off/

Actually for the record I credit Archos. They did it and for whatever reason it vindicates my trust they would produce a good product and do whatever they needed to do. nuff on that...

Quadrant scores are only part of the picture as mentioned. I have a Samsung Vibrant, so rushmore your speculation on that is sort of in the ball park but not quite on the mark. Samsung used an internal SD type memory and partitioned 2 GB for apps. This is why the "lag fix" has been popular on this phone. The VFAT file system is not nearly as efficient as other internal nand flash configurations. Typically people go to ext 2/3/4 solutions. BTW this is not just the T-Mo Vibrant but all Galaxy S phones. In mine I have a 14 GB user partition. Getting back to Quadrant, some lag fix scores with 1.2 GHz overclocking and cruft stripped out realized 2000-2800 scores. Team Whiskey had an experimental 1.6 GHz kernel that got something like 3800 while running Eclair, not Froyo! Cyanagens said Quadrant is not to be trusted here because how it works. As a final note on that I have a custom Froyo ROM on my Vibrant. It now scrolls through 400+ photos in the gallery as fast as you can fling it writing thumbnails on the fly almost as fast as it draws the screen. It's very impressive, never lags, never hangs and is easily half again faster for general use... Yet it has barely any different Quadrant score.

Finally, Charbax hasn't said exactly what is going on with this build, but Froyo does let you relocate programs to SD, which in the case of the Archos is safe as it has a fixed internal one. Maybe they tweaked it, maybe not. Somebody posted an A101 video here yesterday saying it was running Froyo. I saw no confirmation, but I did see the silky smooth operation like my phone after update. My A70 is better with Launcher Pro, but I would not be too happy if I didn't have the boost of Froyo to look forward too... Oh, and I just ordered FIOS internet at 35 Gbps which installs the 1st... so I'm thinking browsing the web will be a lot faster!

Agreed.

On a side note, I see people mentioning 2100 or higher Q scores on the Gtablet, so I "assumed" it, but the highest I got was 1900 (lowest 1765 avg = 1830) with Tnt Lite 1.02. Maybe they are using the zPad rom with a newer kernel??

Q scores aside, the Archos 101 will be more than fine. It has the same chipset as the Droid X and that device handles everything I throw at it very well. Not sure if the 256mb ram will be a difference, but kind of doubt it. PSX games are the only real area I notice difference with 3630 and Tegra 2. Tegra 2 is a beast for PSX.
spawn
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by spawn »

sequitur wrote:
Finally, Charbax hasn't said exactly what is going on with this build, but Froyo does let you relocate programs to SD, which in the case of the Archos is safe as it has a fixed internal one. Maybe they tweaked it, maybe not.
Hmm, that raises a litle concern with me, because if Archos didnt specifically assigned the internal nand or parts of it (like 2gb) for app storage, but what Charbax is refering to are meerly the usual apps2sd function of froyo, then this is not going to help much on app storage, since that function still leaves somewhere between 30-80% of the app installed in the 225mb available system memory - not to mention lots of apps still do not allow the default apps2sd function

Man, I would really like to hear some official word from Archos on this subject

Received my Archos 70 yesterday, and Im really loving it - works really well even with the shortcomings of the current rombuild, imho the best tablet for the price currently

Froyo with better memorymanagement and with an Archos tweak of internal appstorage at min. 2gb then Im all set :)
SuperSteve
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by SuperSteve »

sequitur wrote:Oh, and I just ordered FIOS internet at 35 Gbps which installs the 1st... so I'm thinking browsing the web will be a lot faster!
Are you sure that is Gbps and not Mbps? I am just asking because I never heard of anything that fast. Where do you live?
I have Comcast 12-15 Mbps service.
butterflygirl
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by butterflygirl »

rushmore wrote:

LOVE that show!!!

Return to “General Archos Gen8: Archos 28, 32, 43, 70 and 101 Internet Tablets”