Gen 8 IT

General Gen8 Archos Tablet discussions
dgerb
Archos User
Archos User

Gen 8 IT

Post by dgerb »

Not sure this is in the correct part of the Archos forum, but, any idea when the Gen 8 IT's are coming out? I keep hearing sometime in the fall....well, the fall is fast approaching....any place to pre-order one?

Thanks.
AllenPapapetrou
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Re: Gen 8 IT

Post by AllenPapapetrou »

Aloha dgerb,

Acrhos press conference scheduled in Paris 30 Aug. We'll know more next Monday.

Allen
-An old geek 8)
5IT|A70S|A101
saravkrish
Archos User
Archos User

Post by saravkrish »

Frack! Can't wait for Aug 30th and better pics/video from IFA by the Big C. I will most likely be going on a very long flight next weekend and I'm wondering if I should just order an Archos 5 IT 500 GB from Amazon for that trip!

-Sarav
HW_90
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by HW_90 »

no.

wait for the Gen 8 7IT 750GB
map002
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by map002 »

It's up to you. Gen 7 is cheap ATM.

If you can live without the new features, then go ahead. If you really want or need the new stuff wait. But no one else knows that but you.

Michael
Archastic
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Archastic »

Or you could order the a5, and return it to amazon after the weekend hehe.
saravkrish
Archos User
Archos User

Post by saravkrish »

I already have all the A5IT accessories. I'm seriously considering getting a A5IT now and returning it if the new model is better and compatible with the A5IT accessories.

If the new model is not compatible with the accessories, I have almost made up my mind to get both the A5IT and the new 5" tablet. I also decided that in that case, one should be the highest capacity HDD and the other the highest capacity flash. That way, one would be portable and another can store a lot of movies but less portable. But I unable to decide if I should get the newer model as a HDD or the older A5IT as a HDD.

One of my main uses of Archos is for flights. But I like to carry a lot of movies and decide during the flight on which movie to watch. Another use is to stream movies to my TV. So, I'm not sure if the older A5IT would be sufficient for flights or if I would prefer the new one.

Any suggestion on which one should be the HDD model and which one should be the flash model? If I can decide this, I can order the A5IT from Amazon now. I'm also hoping that the prices in Amazon drop after the announcement.

-Sarav
map002
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by map002 »

I'd just make sure the one you are most likely to carry around with you is not the one with the HDD.

HDD units are more fragile, glitch out the GPS in Gen 7 and are harder on the battery.

And no word on accessory compatibility yet, of course. Next week should tell all.

Michael
Last edited by map002 on Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed typos
saravkrish
Archos User
Archos User

Post by saravkrish »

map002 wrote:I'd just make sure the one you are most likely to carry around with you is not the one with the SDD.
Did you mean to say HDD? I rarely took my Archos 605 around except when going on vacation (flight). So, I should have the most carried around unit to be a HDD model right?
map002 wrote:HDD units are more fragile, glitch out the GPS in mode 7 and are harder on the battery.
So GPS problem is specific to the HDD models? That's odd. Why? How much longer does the battery last for flash models?

Damn! I think I'm stuck in a decision loop. I want the most carried around unit to be a HDD, but those models are bulkier. Do you think the Gen8 would be more capable than the A5IT at playing videos? The A5IT is already so good. If not, then may be the A5IT can be the HDD unit. I can use it just for video during vacation and use the newer model flash unit for other Androidy things + a few videos.

-Sarav
map002
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by map002 »

Sorry, that was a typo. I meant to write that you shouldn't carry around an HDD-based model and that the GPS and battery life are problematic on Gen 7 HDD based models (although the GPS doesn't work all that well in Gen 7 even with the SSD).

Apologies for any confusion.

Michael

Return to “General Archos Gen8: Archos 28, 32, 43, 70 and 101 Internet Tablets”