Archos 43 Vision - SHDC file order

World's cheapest basic PMP device
mediman
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Archos 43 Vision - SHDC file order

Post by mediman »

¡Ola!

I bought the 43 at the local electronics store and I was really excited.
I dealt with the squishy touchscreen namely the "off by one" touch.

I bought a 16 gig microSDHC and this card is recognized, there is the same folder-structure as on the 43.

But when I stored some mp3s under MUSIC/artist/album/filename.mp3 they all got messed up.

At first: the are not included under the music library, to access them I have to select "Directory List"->"SDCard" and so on.
And then they are all sorted really strange. Not after filename (Tracknumber-Artist-Trackname.mp3), not after the id3 tag or
the id3v2 tag. An not reverse or something. Just plain unsorted after no recognizable algorithm.

This breaks audio-books big time.

Is there any hint, or has anyone recognized this behaviour? I tried formatting this card with a 2 gig partition only in aticipation that
the device can't deal with this much storage space. But alas, same fuckup.

regards, Sebastian
Archosian2020
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Re: Archos 43 Vision - SHDC file order

Post by Archosian2020 »

Hi, the 43 vision's music library only recognizes audio files on the internal storage and not on the external ones.
mediman
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by mediman »

Hi, the 43 vision's music library only recognizes audio files on the internal storage and not on the external ones.
I thought as much. Any idea about the "randomly assorted" sort order?
Is therea any hope for a firmware update? I wrote the same questions to the archos support, no answer yet.

Thanks a lot,
Sebastian
caoimhghin
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by caoimhghin »

To me the 43 Vision appears to store files in oldest -> newest date order, if you transfer any new files after the initial transfer they appear at the bottom of the list. Simply not good enough!

You will never receive a reply to any enquiry made via, their on-line support pages, a waste of space. I think they 'encourage' you to use their premium rate telephone number. This was my first and last Archos product just because of this.

I suspect this device will never receive any firmware updates, it's a shame really as apart from it's basic codec support for video/audio and its lamentable touch screen the sound and video quality is good considering the price.
marlbrook
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by marlbrook »

Just come across this topic.

I wanted to use the 43 Vision for Audio Books as well as video.

The 'mad' file sorting is intolerable, but I have found a workaround so that audio files are
displayed and played in alphabetical order.

I used a program called Attribute Magic which allows you to change the date modified and date created for all or selected files and folders.

No doubt there are other programs that do the same.

I set the attributes of all the files and folders to exactly the same date and time (this is possible as a batch command, each one does not have to be changed individually). I set this for Date created and Date modified.

This is important ... if you do this on the Archos itself, you must cut the files/folders, copy them to a PC, then re-copy them to the Archos.

Once this is done, the files will appear and play in alphabetical order.

The whole operation can be performed quite quickly, and it does mean the Archos can be used comfortably with audio books.

Return to “Archos 43 Vision”