I hate it

World's cheapest basic PMP device
Napapijri
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I hate it

Post by Napapijri »

I donÔÇÖt know what I was expecting. I've gone through six Archos devices (that never have lasted more than a year) and I always come back for more. And for 100Ôé¼ you really should expect nothing, however I am astonished how terrible this device is.

1. The touch screen is terrible. The Archos 5 wasn't great, but it is about a thousand times better than this one. ItÔÇÖs not responsive and itÔÇÖs not accurate. IÔÇÖve tried it all, using my fingers, using my nails and using special pens and it still isnÔÇÖt working well at all.

2. I can't transfer files using Windows 7. I don't know what I am doing wrong, I've tried it all, it doesn't work, so I had to drag out an old computer with Windows XP just to transfer a few files. Still waiting for answer from Archos support.

3. I listen to long radio shows (usually around 4 or 5 hours) and it is impossible to use the touch screen to get to a given part of the show. The first hour of the show works well, I can basicly get to wherever I want - but to get to the rest I have to use to fast forwarding button. I had to hold the button for ten minutes before I got to what I wanted to listen to.

I'm sorry if this anger is premature, I just unboxed the device this morning, but I just had to get my anger out somewhere!!
caoimhghin
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Re: I hate it

Post by caoimhghin »

2. I can't transfer files using Windows 7. I don't know what I am doing wrong, I've tried it all, it doesn't work, so I had to drag out an old computer with Windows XP just to transfer a few files. Still waiting for answer from Archos support.
I've had no problem transferring files with W7, the only downside is the Archos displays the files in date order, with no option to change to alphabetical!

Best of luck getting a reply from Archos, I've sent 3 requests for information and possible future firmware changes and not one reply, perhaps they want me to use their premium rate customer service phone line!

I've also noticed in their firmware download section that the Vison 43 is no longer listed, previously v1.10 firmware was listed, perhaps they have stopped support already.

This is my first and last Archos purchase, if a company cannot be bothered to give acceptable customer service then I cannot be bothered to purchase their products!
skater-andy
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by skater-andy »

i had no problems with it (its my brothers), though i feel its very basic! if anyone wants the icon -> http://skater-andy.deviantart.com/#/d2vvn84
Digital Fury
Archos User
Archos User

Post by Digital Fury »

After owning several Archos devices, I promised myself never to buy one again for various reasons (shoddy support, flaky hardware, broken promises made by their marketing department). I needed something cheap that could play almost anything (nothing complex like say MKVs) without much fuss, and that I could throw away (for less money) if it broke down like my Archos 5 did.

Hence the Vision 43, which I have put some of 3M's excellent velcro on its back, so I can move it around and slapped on my various home training equipment to watch/listen video/music.

Yes the screen is the worst one I have seen in a very long time, but still usable. The interface seems to have been designed by an intern, it's way more heavy than expected and it doesn't have hardware-based volume controls.

Not all is bad.

It pretty much plays everything within reasonable limits, the sound and built quality are actually fine, the MicroSD slot is useful.

Paid 114Ôé¼ for it (VAT and shipping included). If you don't want to convert your files and can live with its flaws, it's quite competitive price-wise.
staran
Archos User
Archos User

Post by staran »

I concur. It is a bad product.
robo707
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by robo707 »

I hate the Archos 43 Vision as well. The touch screen is very inaccurate and highly annoying as a result. I'm going to return my player from where I bought it, this afternoon. The shop said I could have my money back if I bring it back with the receipt. I've had so many other problems with other Archos models too, and customer services never seem to care.

Return to “Archos 43 Vision”