New Vid Conversion

7", $179 for 2GB, $186 for 8GB in the USA, 149Ôé¼ in Europe
gsteruk
Archos User
Archos User

Re: New Vid Conversion

Post by gsteruk »

@pumba - everyone

ive had a look at my code, and i think your problem is coming from an older settings file left over from a previous install - so with the version below, once you have uninstalled the old version, if you then delete the C:\Program Files\FreeComp folder before installing the new version - best if everyone does this. ive updated the installer to delete this folder completly on uninstallation, so you shouldnt have to do this in the future.

Hi all,

new version now available at:

http://www.mediafire.com/?i3xdphwqbisq2ya

In this version:

Added v1.02

*Improved Fast Encode profile (lower quality but a little quicker)
*Removed file split (over 1GB) option (until i find a faster alternative)
*Added mutli-threading support (should now see approx 50% increase in speed!)

To Be Investigated

*Progress bar to replace TREM (Time Remaining) at bottom of window
*Possible hard encode of subtitles

Cheers all, enjoy, let me know if theres any probs - this version seems stable on a few machines ive tried. The fast encode option should give you an approx 40% increase in speed (add this to the 50% increase from multi-threading and it should really fly now!).

Gster
geetee1
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by geetee1 »

hi Gster...installed v1.02, selected fast encode and loaded up a 175mb file, 21min long. converted, took 43min,s came back 162mb, in short v1.02 stable, work,s fine and picture quality more than adequate for what i want (fast encode) if a little slow though....good program.....graham
gsteruk
Archos User
Archos User

Post by gsteruk »

thanks graham, i totally agree it is slow, i will up a guide on what settings can be changed which will affect performance

new version available at :

http://www.mediafire.com/?9p9325z4h79d4pq

new in version v1.03

*maintenance version - bit more stable

thanks everyone, appreciate your interest and help

gster
gsteruk
Archos User
Archos User

Post by gsteruk »

Evening all,

Well thanks everyone for your feedback and help. Below is the final(ish) version of the vid converter app, some good enhancements and performance increases i think - thanks to everyones great feedback.

If there are any problems then of course let me know and ill do my best to get them fixed and uploaded as soon as i can. Baring that, i wont keep uploading new versions unless i spot something major.

This new version is somewhat larger (25mb now). This is because i have included avidemux - which does the file splitting.
New version 1.05 at:

http://www.mediafire.com/?ad05wv0epa5fazm

New In this Version:

*Enhancement to default profile - now runs approx 5fps faster, and more stable.
*Enhancement to FastEncode profile - expect an almost doubly fast encode here - at the price of some quality
*Re-introduced split file over 1GB (in fact it will split at 920MB to ensure it doesnt creep over the 1GB mark). File splitting will add approx 2 mins to an encode.
*Added approx file size label on Advanced Settings screen (at bottom). This will give you an idea before the encode starts of what the final output size will be and let you adjust the bitrate accordingly.

Not in this version but not forgotten:

*Hard encode subtitles
*Better progress bar

Ill keep working on these requests made, and let you all know if its possible or not.

A Note on performance:

There are many factors which will decide how long your encode takes. The default profile will give the best result, sacraficing speed. The largest factors which you may want to experiment with are:

*Scaler: - Lanczos is by far the best scaler, Bilinear is very acceptable but quite a bit faster
*Macroblock Decision - the default of 2 will give much better results, but is much slower. 0 is faster, and will give good results - but not in all circumstances. This will depend on your preferences. For a quick encode of a tv episode for example, this will be ideal.
*Blur/Sharpen strength- Setting this to 0 will disable this enhancement and give slightly more speed, with negative values giving a sharpen affect, and positive values giving a blur/soften affect. Small changes can make drastic changes to output.
*Use processing ÔÇô With this switched on you can expect smoother and cleaner results, again sacrificing speed. If you need to save some time, switch this off and judge the results. Its not always needed for a high quality input file.
And the most important thing ÔÇô which im sure everyone will know: if the input file is of poor quality ÔÇô then your final output will be too. The bitrate value should not in most cases exceed its default value. The default is taken from the actual bitrate of the input file. Making this bigger will make your file bigger, and take longer to process ÔÇô but will not improve your output at all.
If people like the app, i can continue to keep providing profiles, which you can download and save to ÔÇ£C:\Program Files\Vid Convert Gster UK\ProfilesÔÇØ (if thats where you installed it to). Also would be interesting if people would like to share their own profiles that work well.
Anyways, thats all folks ÔÇô again let me know if theres any problems, hope it works well for u all

Gster
superdave
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by superdave »

Thanks for the great program! I just downloaded the newest version so far its working great!
gsteruk
Archos User
Archos User

Post by gsteruk »

great superdave thanks for that! glad its working well. ive just noticed that it splits a file over 920MB into 2mb chunks - which is daft, that was for testing purposes and i forgot to change it lol ill remedy that today!

gster
gsteruk
Archos User
Archos User

Post by gsteruk »

Hey all

As in my previous message i noted i had left the app splitting files at 2mb, rather than the 920MB limit - this was an oversight left over from testing.

So heres the corrected version. Also while i was at it i thought i would add extra ensurance that files would always be in sych (audio with video). This isnt always possible, if a source file is damaged or inporperly encoded this may still happen, but in this build:

new version available at:

http://www.mediafire.com/?30xalyldm6l5qdl

New in version 1.06

*Audio and video conversions are now done seperatly then remuxed together (helps with synch). This shouldnt add any more time to the encode, but does create more intermediate files, these however are removed after the encode. The download file is a little larger again (30MB install) - this is because ffmpeg is now used to extract and remux audio and video.

Thanks all
gsteruk
Archos User
Archos User

Post by gsteruk »

apologies folks, prob with my mediafire account, deleted my uploads! get a new one up soon

cheers
gsteruk
Archos User
Archos User

Post by gsteruk »

apols for the previous link, was the wrong file and the account went weird, heres the link...

http://www.mediafire.com/?w4mdgznmg1f4r53

cheers

gster
explorateur
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by explorateur »

Hi Gster,

I'm brand new here, I just got my archos 7 HT and I'm looking around here tonight. I was hoping to find your converter as it sounds great. But the file is not there and I was hoping to find it somewhere.

thanks for your work on this and for any help you can give me,

Ex
gsteruk
Archos User
Archos User

Post by gsteruk »

hi explor, welcome!

the latest link you are looking for is:

http://www.mediafire.com/?gdv4b37sg9ydbm3

any probs or questions then just let me know, for the 7HT keep the container to avi or mp4, and good idea not to put your bitrate above the default(it wont increase quality but will increase your file size)

good luck, thanks for the interest, let me know what u think :D

gster
explorateur
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by explorateur »

Hey Gster,

thanx for the link, downloading now, I sure will let you know what I think.

keep up the good work

Ex
gsteruk
Archos User
Archos User

Post by gsteruk »

my mistake - i was forgetting the formats the 7HT supports, in the container section you can use all of the available options, avi, mkv and mp4. the mp4 will use aac audio, and may give a slightly smaller filesize, the mkv will help a little if you are having lip synch issues, the avi in most cases will be ok. each have benefits, best to play around :)

cheers

gster

Return to “Archos 7 Home Tablet”