Porting AOSP above 1.5 to A7HT

7", $179 for 2GB, $186 for 8GB in the USA, 149Ôé¼ in Europe
theplague
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Re: Porting AOSP above 1.5 to A7HT

Post by theplague »

So good news everyone. I got the WiFi working like 5 mins ago. So I uploaded the 1st pre-alpha of Froyo 2.2.1 image for the Archos 7HT device.

THIS IS A PRE-RELEASE

NOTE: This should not be used in production. But you can play around with it.

There are no soft Home/Back/Menu buttons implemented yet. BUT...

Touch the right corner of the status bar to enable or disable the functions.

* Home: Touch the status bar.
* Menu: Touch the status bar from left to right.
* Back: Touch the status bar from right to left.

in addition, WiFi works. I was able to use the browser. But sometimes the browser will crash because of Location Services. I wasn't able to get playback video working with youtube, but sounds worked

Well... I'll keep working at it. So here it is

http://www.openaos.org/wp-upload/ht/poc ... update.img

md5sum: a8cbef3139e94ccf70ba3cef61ac4694
specialb
Archos User
Archos User

Post by specialb »

Are you using the kernel from antoher rom or you managed to compile a kernel by yourself?
aka MaDMaLKaV everywhere else.
theplague
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by theplague »

Using the same kernel as the shipped one with 1.5. But the plan is to update the kernel to a newer version. Shouldn't be a problem since Archos made the source code available for the shipped kernel.
theplague
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by theplague »

We have a google code project up now

http://code.google.com/p/android-froyo-archos7ht/

Please report all issues with the initial froyo build on this site.

Thanks,

- theplague
fatherpanic
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by fatherpanic »

theplague wrote:So good news everyone. I got the WiFi working like 5 mins ago. So I uploaded the 1st pre-alpha of Froyo 2.2.1 image for the Archos 7HT device.

THIS IS A PRE-RELEASE

in addition, WiFi works. I was able to use the browser. But sometimes the browser will crash because of Location Services. I wasn't able to get playback video working with youtube, but sounds worked

Looks great, Browser works fine ! !!
Loaded in under 7min.
Had to use another wifi connection, wifi would not stay connected for more than 2seconds.
sebau1995
Archos User
Archos User

Post by sebau1995 »

Hope you can upgrade the kernel. I tried but i couldn't get the kernel.img to work, i only got the ZImage.
http://searchyoutube.wordpress.com/
specialb
Archos User
Archos User

Post by specialb »

People, what do you think about setting an IRC channel for meeting of devs and testers of the 2.x effort?
theplague
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by theplague »

I am hanging out in #archos7ht on freenode on my own for the moment. Please join me :)
whispers
Archos User
Archos User

Post by whispers »

Hi

i tried this The Pre release out as well and just reverted back to 027.

But i would like to know will 1.6 have the Archos Media Center just like on the 5IT.all i saw was audio on it so far.just a music player.
i have the 5IT and the 7HT but sometimes i want to stream movies to the 7HT from my own Library and its just nt happening on the 7HT.

I need the a Network player that actually works .i have tried just about everyhing frmo market and abslib,including using Astro and ES.
When i try to play a movie it tells me it is an invalid file i get that same message with the video streaming app.

As i said i am not using the 1.6 experimental Rom as i reverted back to the 027 and i would love to be able to stream my videos over to the 7HT.
Also i notice when i use browser on the 7HT and i want to open a movie.it does not ask me what do i wish to open it with like the 5IT does.

IS there a way i can change a files properties and associate it with the player of my choice?

Thank You
Dont fear the Reaper
AllenPapapetrou
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by AllenPapapetrou »

The Archos Media Center (AMC) is not written for this hardware, so unless Archos releases the source (which I doubt) we'll never run the AMC on the 7HT.

Allen
-An old geek 8)
5IT|A70S|A101
whispers
Archos User
Archos User

Post by whispers »

@ Allen

OK then thank you

i am still hoping i can find another solution for the Network Streams
Dont fear the Reaper
kornyone
Archos User
Archos User

Post by kornyone »

I have managed to get gapps working in 2.2.1, and rooted. With the addition of gapps, on top of Froyo. Keep in mind.. this thing is slow with this setup.

With Froyo, it appears Google is blocking some(most) applications from this device somehow. I have not determined if it's an issue with the SIM values (or lack there of), or if it's from the applications detecting the devices capabilities. I cannot find a workaround yet. Basically, about 1/3rd of my paid apps show up, and the home page displays the message:
"No matching content in Android Market"

I am able to successfully push 2.2 based apks through adb to it and they work. Also the apps which do show in the market work fine. gapps all work successfully, including Youtube low res somehow (though there's no sound and it pulls about 3fps).
kornyone
Archos User
Archos User

Post by kornyone »

I found a workaround to the market issue, we now have apps listed :)
janiki
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by janiki »

theplague wrote:So good news everyone. I got the WiFi working like 5 mins ago. So I uploaded the 1st pre-alpha of Froyo 2.2.1 image for the Archos 7HT device.

THIS IS A PRE-RELEASE

I can't believe how stable this is since it's "pre-alpha". I would be able to use this daily if only usb mounting and sd card recognition worked. Keep up the good work.
specialb
Archos User
Archos User

Post by specialb »

We seriously need to be able to make custom kernels if we hope to improve the speed on this. The CPU seems to be set to run far bellow its capacities in the stock kernel and we can seriously use some more mhz. Any idea on getting that $%&# archos released to compile into something will be appreciated.
gsteruk
Archos User
Archos User

Post by gsteruk »

hi all,

kudos to all involved here, truely inspiring stuff :-) one thing i curious about, i and a few others have noticed some pretty awful gradient banding on the 7HT, i did a few test images and it would appear the output certainly at times of the stock video player is close to only 256 colours. this is pretty awful, was just wondering if video playback is possible on the test builds yet, and if not - is it likely it could help this banding problem?

cheers all, keep up the good work!

gster
Hiruko
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Hiruko »

Hi all:

Anyone know when plague go to release a second beta for froyo??

i wanna flash the device, but if i cant use the SD card, i prefer to wait.

Ty
kornyone
Archos User
Archos User

Post by kornyone »

ThePlague has not been around in over a week. I have had the SDCard external mounting and access working for a week, but did not want to release a new image without making sure we are all on the same page.

I think I will put this out for the community. It has the previous changes I mentioned as well (JIT, Gapps, SD Card mounting/access).
Hiruko
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Hiruko »

kornyone wrote:ThePlague has not been around in over a week. I have had the SDCard external mounting and access working for a week, but did not want to release a new image without making sure we are all on the same page.

I think I will put this out for the community. It has the previous changes I mentioned as well (JIT, Gapps, SD Card mounting/access).

Great news !!, sd card and gaaps working
I Cant wait for the download
Ty
kornyone
Archos User
Archos User

Post by kornyone »

THIS IS NOT EVEN BETA. PLEASE BE AWARE

"Operation Turtle Froyo Delivery".
http://www.mediafire.com/?v7r0ghgkaqdbu6i

This release support some things not included in the previous releases. Out of the box, JIT is enabled (which increases some performance in Froyo), sdcard is accessible to the browser/music app/etc, as well as mounting via USB. Most importantly for some, GAPPS support exists in this image, in a very barebone manner. There is also a functioning Taskbar with soft buttons, due to ThePlague's awesome work.

It's also rooted :)

There are several issues with this image. Use at your own risk, and know how to use RKANDROID.

It's slow. Not as slow as the last image, but still slow. Don't expect gaming/video from this image, it's just not going to happen. Gallery3D included is pretty much unusable. DSP is not working. I have not tried any various Adobe Flash hacks, knowing this is 2.2 Froyo, but don't expect that either. It's not accelerated in any manner.

Google Apps takes a few hacks to get working, which is slightly annoying. But you will find this problem with -any- 2.2 tablet on the market right now.

Smaller issues:
* SetupWizard forces portrait mode during timezone setup.
* The default home page for the web browser will always crash the browser. To workaround this, search for something in the Google Search bar, and then load the settings to change your default home page.
* Limited App space. Someone want to hack this for us? :)
* Wifi can still be flaky.
* /flash is not accessible via USB Mounting or Application Access. This is a todo item. Android standard is /mnt/sdcard.
* more maybe? Feedback is appreciated.

HOW TO MAKE IT WORK:
Download the image, and use it like a standard update.img file.

It takes 30-90 seconds after the "Archos" boot screen to see Froyo load. Once loaded, the SetupWizard begins. Skip most of everything but the timezone. It will rotate to portrait mode, this is a known issue with gapps. Connect to a wireless network. Load the Market App. Login to Google.

Once done with this process, you will find almost all Applications are missing from the market. This is where the hack comes into play -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7l-nySib ... re=related
Go to Settings -> Applications -> Manage Applications. Choose All -> Market -> Clear Cache, then Force Stop. Once done, go back to Google Services Frameworks. Clear data, and Force Stop. Finally load Market back up, you should receive an error. This is good. Reboot the device, once to twice depending, and the market should show all the apps (refer to the youtube link).

This should be all to get going. I have QA'd the image and found these basic steps should get you up and going. This includes SD access to apps and USB Mounting.

Return to “Archos 7 Home Tablet”