USB ReadyBoost

Archos 9" tablet pc
stevember
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

USB ReadyBoost

Post by stevember »

Amazing difference, but shame need disconnect on boot up.
boysie123
Archos User
Archos User

Re: USB ReadyBoost

Post by boysie123 »

why need to disconect?
pacomac
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by pacomac »

Does the ReadyBoos really make that much difference? I've just ordered a compatible pen drive to try this myself as the A9 is really struggling with 1Gb. What type are you using, and how much of it are you using as ReadyBoost memory?
boysie123
Archos User
Archos User

Post by boysie123 »

yes it does and recommended to use 1.5x to 3x the amt of mem in the system

the reason why it works well is because 4k read and write is faster on a pen drive than on the hdd and thats what it will do alot of when not enough mem is available
Davel23
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Davel23 »

The 9's BIOS has a default boot sequence which puts the USB port before the hard drive, so if you reboot with the USB stick in the device it will attempt to boot from that and get stuck. I haven't tried it yet, but you should be able to modify the boot order to put USB after the hard drive which would rectify the problem.
boysie123
Archos User
Archos User

Post by boysie123 »

So, for me, sticking in a huge USB drive/stick sux the image and will at one point break the socket off the mobo so I hate the solution of a USB mem stick for readyboost.

That was untill I found this today:

Kawau World's Smallest MicroSD TransFlash TF SD/SDHC USB 2.0 Card Reader Keychain

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.25558

for $4 you get a MicroSDHC reader that only sticks out 4mm!! 4 bloody mm is perfect

Add a 16GB Class 6 MicroSD card

Transcend 16 GB Class 6 microSDHC Flash Memory Card with adapter TS16GUSDHC6

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Transcend-microSDHC-Memory-adapter-TS16GUSDHC6/dp/B001PLIG5Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1264088455&sr=8-1

And hey presto you have a perfect Readyboost solution strigh from the deapths of hell! :)

When mine arrives I will let you knwo how it all goes :)
4DThinker
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by 4DThinker »

I've still got Windows 7 Starter on my 9 and so far no USB sticks I try work for readyboost. I've tried three that work fine for readyboost on my desktop PC with 7 Home premium on it, but the 9 claims they won't work, even after formatting them on the 9. They work fine for storage though.

Is this a limit of the Starter version? Anyone know a trick for getting readyboost to work on it? As I said, I know the problem isn't with the USB sticks I've tried, as all work fine on my desktop.
boysie123
Archos User
Archos User

Post by boysie123 »

If you right cilck the drive in explorer you can select ready boost tab and click retest now. You might need ot do it afew times but eventually it will then allow you to use it as a ready boost drive.

Windows makes a small readyboost file on the drive and does a quick perf test with it. if the stats are marginal then it could fall either way. the thing is if its marginal then it may be its not going to give you the perf increase your looking for and you are better getting a fast stick.

I haven't received my kit yet on the above post but I will post some perf data once its here.
pacomac
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by pacomac »

Just remember guys that your data pen needs to be ReadyBoost compliant or Windows can't use it.

I've tried many different types and finally got one to work, although I've not seen any real boost in performance navigating the desktop and web pages, but I'm sure this will help out when it comes to more demanding tasks.

Can anyone post any performance figures to back up the claims that ReadyBoost really does speed things up?
4DThinker
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by 4DThinker »

The thumb drives I tried were all readyboost compliant and worked fine on my Win7 Premium desktop.
All claimed readyboost readiness on their packages. So far NONE have worked on my 9, even though I've restested each several times.

On my desktop, after allocating the recommended amount off a 4gb thumbdrive, performance during IE browsing sped up significantly. I notice the browser stopped caching to my hard drive and started using the thunb drive. pages loaded and redrew faster. It was all quieter as my hard drive would no longer thrash about.
maggiemaggie
Archos User
Archos User

Post by maggiemaggie »

boysie123 wrote:So, for me, sticking in a huge USB drive/stick sux the image and will at one point break the socket off the mobo so I hate the solution of a USB mem stick for readyboost.

That was untill I found this today:

Kawau World's Smallest MicroSD TransFlash TF SD/SDHC USB 2.0 Card Reader Keychain

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.25558

for $4 you get a MicroSDHC reader that only sticks out 4mm!! 4 bloody mm is perfect

Add a 16GB Class 6 MicroSD card

Transcend 16 GB Class 6 microSDHC Flash Memory Card with adapter TS16GUSDHC6

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Transcend-microSDHC-Memory-adapter-TS16GUSDHC6/dp/B001PLIG5Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1264088455&sr=8-1

And hey presto you have a perfect Readyboost solution strigh from the deapths of hell! :)

When mine arrives I will let you knwo how it all goes :)

Boysie123, I like your idea, did you receive these items yet? What do you have to report? Does this combination work??? If it does I am next in line to buy these items :P

Maggie
Davel23
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Davel23 »

I went ahead and bought the Micro SD card from the previous post, and a similar card reader. It took a couple of tries before Windows would accept it as a Readyboost compatible device, but it eventually did. In all honesty, I haven't really noticed a difference. It might be because I have Windows stripped down to the bare essentials and my A9 never even comes close to running out of system memory, but there you have it. Still, a little extra storage in such a small package is always nice.
boysie123
Archos User
Archos User

Post by boysie123 »

H iall,

My MicroSDHC card arrived today so I have been putting things through its pace.

Starting with crystal DiskMark 2.2
format FAT 32
4k Read was arround 3.5 to 4MB/s

NTFS
2.5MB/s

Ready boost requires 2.5MB/s min to use as Readyboost drive. So I woudl recommend FAT32.

I havent had much of a chance to test much but I setup 4GB (max on fat32) readyboost file.

General reaction is things are a littel more responsive but its only really once the device has been on a while and apps /dll prefrech has been loaded into the Readyboost file before you will notice much improvment.

I will test out further and report back.
maggiemaggie
Archos User
Archos User

Post by maggiemaggie »

boysie123 wrote:H iall,

My MicroSDHC card arrived today so I have been putting things through its pace.

Starting with crystal DiskMark 2.2
format FAT 32
4k Read was arround 3.5 to 4MB/s

NTFS
2.5MB/s

Ready boost requires 2.5MB/s min to use as Readyboost drive. So I woudl recommend FAT32.

I havent had much of a chance to test much but I setup 4GB (max on fat32) readyboost file.

General reaction is things are a littel more responsive but its only really once the device has been on a while and apps /dll prefrech has been loaded into the Readyboost file before you will notice much improvment.

I will test out further and report back.

Can't wait for some good news because my Archos 9 is performing really really slow now that I have Windows 7 Ultimate on it and the digitizer working. The on screen keyboard seems to react really slowly :(

Maggie
boysie123
Archos User
Archos User

Post by boysie123 »

Ok so I have done some more testing.

i loaded up One note 2010, Outlook 2010 and Word 2010

I also loaded IE and Explorer

Then loaded up Mediaplayer.

I then switch between apps and the result was flawless.

I closed IE and switched arround a bit more and reopened IE, result was again flawless with fast results and feeling for the responsiveness of the applications.

Outlook was consuming alot of the CPU during this time too so it coudl have been even better.

Im not sure there is much benerfit in having 4GB as MS recommends only upto 3 times the hardram

Never the less I have 16GB to play with and 10.9GB free after 4GB for Readyboost.

I played a 1080p clip from the MicroSD card too with out any problems

I recon when or if they sort out some windows 7 drivers for the USB2 controlers we might see a small perf increase again but im not sure it matters as it works fine how it is.

Hope this help people.

PS: I dont have AV installed as I found the over head on a low end CPU proc too much to deal with.

Boysie
ClarenceG
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by ClarenceG »

Boysie;

Are you running Windows7 Starter on your A9?

(Sorry if I missed that somewhere in one of your posts.)
A 605, TV+, A9
boysie123
Archos User
Archos User

Post by boysie123 »

Win7 Ult.
maggiemaggie
Archos User
Archos User

Post by maggiemaggie »

hey, so I've ordered from dealextreme the Kawau World's Smallest MicroSD TransFlash TF SD/SDHC USB 2.0 Card Reader Keychain http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.25558 and a Team Class6 microSD micro SD SDHC TF Memory Card 8GB 8G http://cgi.ebay.ca/Team-Class6-microSD-micro-SD-SDHC-TF-Memory-Card-8GB-8G_W0QQitemZ300394582862QQcmdZViewItemQQptZPCC_Drives_Storage_Internal?hash=item45f0e9934e

I'm waiting for everything to arrive and hopefully it will spead up my system's responsiveness like it has for everyone else! can't wait.

Btw, what is the USB port specification on the Archos 9? is it 1.1 or 2.0 ???

Thanks!

Maggie
boysie123
Archos User
Archos User

Post by boysie123 »

Crimson621
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Crimson621 »

This may have already been answered, but would ReadyBoost work if used through a USB hub?

Return to “Archos 9”