New ideas to implement

Archos 9" tablet pc
The_Blood_Raven
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Re: New ideas to implement

Post by The_Blood_Raven »

Many people with Viliv S5s (1.3 Ghz Atom and 1GB of RAM with same IGP, the GMA 500) run Windows 7 on it instead of XP, but it does not work perfectly because of immature windows 7 drivers.
Archos5Fan
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Archos5Fan »

I'm running Windows 7 RC1 on a Motion Computing LE1700 Tablet quite satisfactorily. 4GB RAM, 160GB HD. Intel has been pretty good at providing updates to their video drivers throughout this Windows 7 process.

I've Windows 7 drivers for sound, fingerprint recognition, Bluetooth, video, Wi-Fi etc. for the LE-1700. I'm not missing anything. I'm sure there's gaps in support for some drivers for some devices but they getting their stuff together.
TheUnknownCylon
Archos User
Archos User

Post by TheUnknownCylon »

I assume that there is no interbrowser installed by default, since Archos is an European branch and Microsoft delivers Windows 7E (without a web browser).

I still hope they will also release a linux version. Saves me some money when I buy this product. Linux does not need much hardware for fancy effects (KDE will be possible with full KWin effect?) I think I'm going to redesign some menu's. It's always nice to have some kind of a StarTrek computer in the wall, always showing the latest whether-reports etc.?
HellFury
Archos User
Archos User

Post by HellFury »

Although I love Windows and its usability and Windows 7 for everything it is, I must say that your ideas are cool. I've tried Ubuntu 8.0x and 9.04, but found it strange to work with. I don't want to go through the hassle of learning a complete new OS, together with a bit of OSX-logic i have to struggle through with my iPhone...
Archos5Fan
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Archos5Fan »

Linux would be cool if they have drivers for all of the hardware and have good handwriting recognition (if this is a true tablet PC). Handwriting recognition has been a traditional stumbling block for Linux on tablets. Windows Vista and 7 do an excellent job in this regard.
mviowa
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by mviowa »

The_Blood_Raven wrote:I suppose if the device has arrow keys in the interface then you could just do an old ctrl + arrow key. Also remember that this is windows not a closed OS, so someone could simply make an app.
I have made 2 apps... they aren't anything special but they work for me. I used SendKeys.Send in vb to emulate the default keyboard shortcuts; " CTRL + ALT + {UP}" for Normal and " CTRL + ALT + {LEFT}" for 90 deg rotation. They are hard coded into each app... I have just pinned them to my taskbar for easy access....works for me and I hope someone else may like them as well. Sorry about the lame icons...maybe someone could make some better looking ones.

http://www.4shared.com/file/fjBFigAE/Ro ... trait.html
http://www.4shared.com/file/iFV8nBHV/Ro ... scape.html

Return to “Archos 9”