New ideas to implement

Archos 9" tablet pc
HellFury
Archos User
Archos User

New ideas to implement

Post by HellFury »

Hey Guys,

I just thought up something that would be very cool if Archos would incorporate in the Archos 9.
Remember that 'groundbreaking' addition to the iPhone, that measures the way it's been held and keeps the programs play accordingly? Which means you would hold it portrait-wise and when turned 90 degrees, to landscape mode, the display also turns 90 degrees.
I thought it cool if Archos would implement the same tech, so you could browse the web, open up a .PDF-file and furn your Archos 9 so it would resemble more of a webbook. I made and altered some screenshots to show what i mean:
ImageImage
ImageImage

Notice how I've kept the taskbar the same height, so you would always have the exact same desktop space in either orientation. This 90 degrees turn could also be done with a button or button combination, but automatically would be cool and handy in some cases.

Tell me what you guys think of this idea, and share your own ideas that would make the Archos 9 an even piece of hardware than it already is (and that being said, pre launch ;))
The_Blood_Raven
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Re: New ideas to implement

Post by The_Blood_Raven »

I suppose if the device has arrow keys in the interface then you could just do an old ctrl + arrow key. Also remember that this is windows not a closed OS, so someone could simply make an app.
Charbax
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Charbax »

Problem with auto-tilt detection thing is it often triggers a turn in the interface even though you don't want it to turn, so if it's there it needs to be possible to de-activate it. I prefer a simple interface shortcut or a shortcut button combination to tilt the interface if needed.
The_Blood_Raven
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Charbax wrote:Problem with auto-tilt detection thing is it often triggers a turn in the interface even though you don't want it to turn, so if it's there it needs to be possible to de-activate it. I prefer a simple interface shortcut or a shortcut button combination to tilt the interface if needed.
I agree 100%, a button or shortcut would be much more convenient and effective.
HellFury
Archos User
Archos User

Post by HellFury »

Okay, i guess you are right about the irritation of the Archos 9 not able to decide what way to display the desktop when held 45degrees rotated ;)

Whole different question to you charbax, but do you happen to know what the button beneath the on screen keyboard button does? I could swear there's a button there, but don't know what it's for, and since i can't think of a useful function it would be a great key for this option, no?
Charbax
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Charbax »

I think there is a ctrl+alt+del button and a bring keyboard button.
swec
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by swec »

Charbax wrote:I think there is a ctrl+alt+del button.
Are you serious? :shock:

That's just funny because of Microsoft's OS, Archos dedicated a button for it. :p
605x2,TV+,5x2
The_Blood_Raven
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

ecsw wrote:

That's just funny because of Microsoft's OS, Archos dedicated a button for it. :p
In windows 7 as well as Vista, ctrl+alt+del brings up many focal system tools, not just task manager.
HellFury
Archos User
Archos User

Post by HellFury »

Blood raven is correct. System monitoring is easiest reached via the task manager.

Charbax, thanks for that information. They could maybe implement another feature for that button and make 'ctrl+alt+del' if you'd hold the both buttons pressed for 2 seconds. Or maybe also add a button on the other side, beneath the power button, there are a few button that are easy and are on almost all laptops:

- Media center (brand own media player) button.
- Enable / disable Wifi / Bluetooth

Problem with those buttons would be that you could press the on/off-button on purpose... But that's something the ergonomics team could think about ;) Or or or, maybe they could make the LED's button. So with the Bluetooth button enable/disable bluetooth, wireless button dito and the HDD usage indicator brings up the task manager.
CBers
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by CBers »

They could do with upping the processor in the A9 as well.

The Atom Intel Z515 1.2Ghz processor may not be up to the job.

Most netbooks these days use the Intel Atom N270 1.6Ghz processor.

And if they could squeeze 2Gb RAM on board, they may well have a winner !!
HellFury
Archos User
Archos User

Post by HellFury »

CPU does indeed sound as snappy as you'd expect from such a device, but I'll complain when I see it. I'm confident Archos makes the right desicion CPU-wise.

RAM, If i'm informed correctly is already maxed. The Chipset Atom work with can address 1GB at max, so 2GB, that's a wish you won't be seeing turned into a reality... If it would be possible, then I guess 1GB is enough for the market. Those who require more could add another SO-DIMM (I know that's not yet possible with Archos9, but I guess they should make that possible, along with HDD self-replacement). On the other side, if they would not make it replacable, it would be a lot more transparent to the CustomerSupport...
CBers
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by CBers »

I have 2Gb RAM in my netbook with an Intel Atom N270 1.6Ghz proccessor and it runs fine.

There are lots of people I know with 2Gb RAM in their netbooks.

Or are you talking about the Z515 processor ??
Last edited by CBers on Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
HellFury
Archos User
Archos User

Post by HellFury »

I see... Indeed, 2GB is chipset maximum address space. I'm still in favor of 1GB IF you can expand yourself.
ParsonBoyles
Archos User
Archos User

Post by ParsonBoyles »

ecsw wrote:

That's standard on Tablet PC's. I'm a tablet enthusiast, soI'm pretty excited about the Archos 9. Windows 7 is great for tablets.

I would like your idea of being able to customize the taskbar for rotations!
Team-Leader.com
The_Blood_Raven
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

CBers wrote:I have 2Gb RAM in my netbook with an Intel Atom N270 1.6Ghz proccessor and it runs fine.

There are lots of people I know with 2Gb RAM in their netbooks.

Or are you talking about the Z515 processor ??
The Archos 9 is using a MID chipset, Intel US15W, which is limited to 1GB of RAM.
CBers
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by CBers »

So it'll be an inferior netbook then ??
The_Blood_Raven
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

It is NOT a netbook, it is an MID. MIDs are more portable than netbooks because they are smaller which puts restrictions on the hardware.
HellFury
Archos User
Archos User

Post by HellFury »

Thank you bood raven, I'm not going craxy :)
CBers
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by CBers »

MID, UMPC, NETBOOK all a much of a muchness !!

Its still gonna struggle with Windows 7 and only 1Gb RAM with 1.2Ghz processor, but I'll shut up for now [-(
statsja
Archos User
Archos User

Post by statsja »

CBers wrote:MID, UMPC, NETBOOK all a much of a muchness !!

Its still gonna struggle with Windows 7 and only 1Gb RAM with 1.2Ghz processor, but I'll shut up for now [-(
Windows 7 is much better and less resource hungry than you think. Its the best Os Microsoft has made. Its much kinder to MID & UMPC's I 'm running it on a HP 2133 & its fine.

Return to “Archos 9”