No
40%
Undecided
31%

Total votes: 58
HellFury
Archos User
Archos User

Re: Do you plan on purchasing the Archos 9?

Post by HellFury »

@ Charbax

The big difference is that apple did not advertise or describe this function in the user manual.
Budwzr
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Budwzr »

In America, if a company were to do that, they would be prosecuted for fraud.
HellFury
Archos User
Archos User

Post by HellFury »

@Budwzr
I doubt that since Archos is an American Company (French, I know, but Archos Inc. is American), they seel in America, and they're guilty of said charges, but haven't been sued... America has some stupid cases, but they're all justifiable in their own way.
Charbax
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Charbax »

The_Blood_Raven wrote: It uses the same Flash Lite as the Archos.

Also I never said Tegra worked right now, just that it is a bad example because of the uniqueness of it's software problem.
Cowon most likely does NOT play flash videos like from youtube smoothly in full screen hardware accelerated. Supporting flash lite on its MIPS or ARM core is easy, like in the Archos browser, slowly animate flash stuff on websites using only the ARM processor using Flash Lite is one thing. Nokia does it also on the N series tablets. It's totally different to be able to use hardware acceleration on the DSP core eventually even on the OpenGL accelerating core, to take flash videos and stream them over the Internet at full framerates in full screen.
Budwzr
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Budwzr »

Not enough units sold here. KFC didn't see it coming either, thought they could "bait and switch" customers.
HellFury wrote:@Budwzr
I doubt that since Archos is an American Company (French, I know, but Archos Inc. is American), they seel in America, and they're guilty of said charges, but haven't been sued... America has some stupid cases, but they're all justifiable in their own way.
robtek70
Archos User
Archos User

Post by robtek70 »

I am looking at the Archos 9 with hope and anticipation after a recent purchase of the Archos 7 was a compleat let down. I want to be able to use it, among other things, as a portable hd movie player which can plays HD 720p/1080p MKV's files smoothly, (my 10" Samsung netbook played 720p perfectly but not 1080p) plus ALL other formats on the market. The Samsung is a little too big to carry with me all the time. It must have hdmi and optical sound out, a decent sized hard disk 320gb/500gb (the 80gb mentioned in the spec is a complete joke) also have a good battery life (my netbook lasts about 5 hours outputting 720p mkv's to my TV). If the Archos 9 can meet these specs (except maybe the hd size) then depending on the price I would consider buying one.
HellFury
Archos User
Archos User

Post by HellFury »

Be prepared for a let down... 1080p on a 1024x600 display? external, ok, but with no HDMI output? No optical sound either, except maybe with a proprietary dock... Hope for 120GB HDD, no more... Good battery life? Since when are Archos players good on the battery life side?
Charbax
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Charbax »

It could have HDMI and optical audio out through the high bandwith high power proprietary connector. It depends if Intel allows them to (HDMI out is forbidden on netbooks by Intel and Microsoft). The battery is swappable.
kramer28
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by kramer28 »

robtek70 wrote:I am looking at the Archos 9 with hope and anticipation after a recent purchase of the Archos 7 was a compleat let down. I want to be able to use it, among other things, as a portable hd movie player which can plays HD 720p/1080p MKV's files smoothly, (my 10" Samsung netbook played 720p perfectly but not 1080p) plus ALL other formats on the market. The Samsung is a little too big to carry with me all the time. It must have hdmi and optical sound out, a decent sized hard disk 320gb/500gb (the 80gb mentioned in the spec is a complete joke) also have a good battery life (my netbook lasts about 5 hours outputting 720p mkv's to my TV). If the Archos 9 can meet these specs (except maybe the hd size) then depending on the price I would consider buying one.
Hoping for the exact same thing! 720p/1080p MKV playback with at the very least 120gb hard drive.
Hysnuche
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Hysnuche »

There are some amazing features in Windows 7 that will enhance the Archos 9. There is one feature I am very curious about, the "Location and Other Sensors" option in Control Panel. It just seems to scream, "Use me." The only downside is that a 9" GPS unit might cover up the dashboard a little to much. But why not have such a lovely and full-size map to carry around in your backpack or briefcase while traveling.
accurian
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by accurian »

robtek70 wrote:I am looking at the Archos 9 with hope and anticipation after a recent purchase of the Archos 7 was a compleat let down. I want to be able to use it, among other things, as a portable hd movie player which can plays HD 720p/1080p MKV's files smoothly, (my 10" Samsung netbook played 720p perfectly but not 1080p) plus ALL other formats on the market. The Samsung is a little too big to carry with me all the time. It must have hdmi and optical sound out, a decent sized hard disk 320gb/500gb (the 80gb mentioned in the spec is a complete joke) also have a good battery life (my netbook lasts about 5 hours outputting 720p mkv's to my TV). If the Archos 9 can meet these specs (except maybe the hd size) then depending on the price I would consider buying one.
You should look at Lenovo IdeaPad S12. It has 1280 x 800 resolution screen, Nvidia Ion platform and plays 1080P smoothly. And it also has HDMI output. S12 is estimated to be sold for $499. In terms of battery life, S12 has 6-cell battery and runs about 6 hours.

Dell and HP are also planning netbooks based on Ion platform.

Of course, Archos 9 is much lighter compared to S12 (1.76lb vs 3.x lb)

Archos 9's market share doesn't look bright to me in light of so many netbooks.

Am I going yo buy Archos 9? At current price point, I will pick S12. But if US version Archos 9 is priced lower (with the TV tuner stripped), say $500, I might consider it.
kramer28
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by kramer28 »

accurian wrote:
You should look at Lenovo IdeaPad S12. It has 1280 x 800 resolution screen, Nvidia Ion platform and plays 1080P smoothly. And it also has HDMI output. S12 is estimated to be sold for $499. In terms of battery life, S12 has 6-cell battery and runs about 6 hours.

Dell and HP are also planning netbooks based on Ion platform.

Of course, Archos 9 is much lighter compared to S12 (1.76lb vs 3.x lb)

Archos 9's market share doesn't look bright to me in light of so many netbooks.

Am I going yo buy Archos 9? At current price point, I will pick S12. But if US version Archos 9 is priced lower (with the TV tuner stripped), say $500, I might consider it.
Specs sound awfully good. My only knock on netbooks, thus far, is that for me they are still not portable enough. Granted they are much smaller than laptops but not that close in size to pmp's (Archos 5, etc.). I mean even the Archos 9 is a bit of stretch when one factors in portability but it is still lighter and more portable (for daily music and video needs on subways for example) than any netbook offering right now. Hence I am very curious as to pricing and stability when it comes to the Archos 9.
accurian
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by accurian »

Other specs for Lenovo IdeaPad S12: Intel Atom N270 CPU, 12.1" screen with 1280 x 800 resolution, 1GB RAM (up to 2GB), 160GB hard drive. There are two versions of S12. The one with Nvidia Ion platform is $499 and the one with Intel GMA 945 graphics is $449.

Back to Archos 9. Its advantage over S12: thinner and lighter weight, thus better portability, and a newer and presumably better OS. Other than that, I really can't think of anything else. Some might argue that touch screen is an advantage, but that's a moot point. If I type a lot, I'd still prefer a real keyboard and S12 has a 100% full-size keyboard. On the other hand, S12 has so many advantages over Archos 9 such as: larger screen, better resolution, lower price, larger hard drive, better video card, 1080P capability, HDMI output, longer battery life.

Archos 9 is a flashy toy for sure and I'd love to have one. But for me, S12 is better in so many practical ways and it'll be my choice if I can only afford one. If I have the money, I'd love to have both.
Charbax
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Charbax »

accurian wrote:But if US version Archos 9 is priced lower (with the TV tuner stripped), say $500, I might consider it.
US price is $500.
Charbax
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Charbax »

accurian wrote:Lenovo IdeaPad S12
Archos makes the worlds best Netbooks if that's what you want. The Archos 10 Ubuntu comes with 500GB hard drive, 2GB ram, 6-cell battery for just about as much as a normal netbook ($375). You can then install a triple-boot system on it with Windows XP/7 and Hackintosh OSX as well. It could come in the Archos 10S thin form factor design as well.
kramer28
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by kramer28 »

Charbax wrote:
accurian wrote:But if US version Archos 9 is priced lower (with the TV tuner stripped), say $500, I might consider it.
US price is $500.
Still no firm release date Charbax?
Charbax
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Charbax »

September if Microsoft allows early Windows 7 products that auto-update themselves. Otherwise on Windows 7 release date.
swec
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by swec »

Charbax wrote:
US price is $500.

for sure? wow.... time to save up.... =D>
605x2,TV+,5x2
Archos5Fan
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Archos5Fan »

I want to be part of an "early adopter program" so that we can experiment with use and configuration and spread the word. If you go to the Archos website, it is the 9 that you see -- sell us some so we can get busy!
robtek70
Archos User
Archos User

Post by robtek70 »

Charbax wrote:
accurian wrote:Lenovo IdeaPad S12
Archos makes the worlds best Netbooks if that's what you want. The Archos 10 Ubuntu comes with 500GB hard drive, 2GB ram, 6-cell battery for just about as much as a normal netbook ($375). You can then install a triple-boot system on it with Windows XP/7 and Hackintosh OSX as well. It could come in the Archos 10S thin form factor design as well.
If the Ubuntu version of the Archos 10 (a rebadged Hasee MJ125) is the same hardware as the Windows version but with a larger hd and Linux then it is still an average performing netbook. To improve on it to any degree you would need, as mention above, to include the NVidia ION graphic chip set plus HDMI and optical out. Now if the Archos 9 included these items then I would definitely consider purchasing one.

Return to “Archos 9”