No
40%
Undecided
31%

Total votes: 58
Hadakajime
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Re: Do you plan on purchasing the Archos 9?

Post by Hadakajime »

rlauzon wrote: to run a buggy, insecure, poor-performing OS?
hey are we still talking about A9? it sounds like your describing gen4/5/6 OS's
HellFury
Archos User
Archos User

Post by HellFury »

I'm sure Archos 9 and Windows 7 will both be great products. Point is, and the point rlauzon is aiming at, is that software support / developtment have always been a bit lacky...
Charbax
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Charbax »

Any consumer electronics company not selling netbooks, when netbooks is just about the only market segment that is so quickly expanding, is clearly a moronic company. One could argue that companies like Apple and Sony do not want to contribute in precipitating their own demise, since Apple and Sony business models so far are based on designing so-called exclusive designs and make at least as much profit margins on each sold product as the whole end consumer cost of current netbooks ($400+).

Again, Archos embedded software is 10x more advanced than anything Apple or Sony engineers have released on any embedded product in terms of resolutions, bitrates, encoding and decoding complexities, different codec support, more advanced features support such as plug and play arclibrary generation on-the-fly based on ID3 tags and not based on some desktop based itunes like software doing all that processor intensive sorting of files. But you can also choose to keep ignoring that, as I see even knowledgable software developpers on this forum do, and only focus on things Archos have slight bugs in, like unreleased tvportation (when have you seen an iphone or psp encode and stream dvd quality over the unreliable consumer upload internet connections to another such device), you can complain all you want on actionscript3 not working in the browser (when has apple iphone even supported any type of flash content up to flash 9 with video support), and when will you consider Archos has released an awesome product based on industry leading ARM Cortex A8 about 11 months before any competitor was able to make it work such as in the latest iphone 3GS, the latest Palm Pre, the upcoming Toshiba smartphone and the next Nokia tablet n-900 (so far rumored having a crappy small screen).

Selling Intel and Microsoft based products is not a major strategy change for Archos, it's just a clever orchestrated side-project while the Archos Android probably still takes over 95% of Archos in-house R&D budget. Those "minipc" class of products are mostly just a bit of extra work for the marketing and sales departments, and at Archos, those mostly only work b2b directly towards convincing resellers, retail stores and HSDPA telecoms to stock the Archos branded products. And surely the influence on the excellent "minipc" class of Archos branded products will make it easier to find more consumer sales and marketing partners all from resellers, retail stores and HSDPA telecoms once the Android line of most revolutionary products come out.

Wrote this post super easily on my Archos 5 on screen keyboard over wifi.
HellFury
Archos User
Archos User

Post by HellFury »

I concur with most point you make Charbax, but the advanced software Archos makes was never asked for by the users! I own an Archos402 and an Archos5 and with both products heard people complain about the fact that the software is so closed.
If people could choose, Archos' GUI would just be a Media Player app on a complete Linux environment. If a company chooses to release such 'complex' software, they should release a working version on the release date of the product. My biggest complaint towards Archos weren't the small bugs with the Archos5, but the lack of posibilities that were described in the user manual! They promise, they even write the user manual as if the software is ready as can be and in the end deliver an incomplete product.

Now, you make a comparison with Apple (and Sony, but i don't know about Sony). But are you aware that Apple just released Software version 3.0? Which also can be used on the first iPhone! And to top that off, they even put abilities in the software that make the product an even better product.

I'm not trying to say in any way that Apple is the worse or better company, but it's obvious that they're doing some things better than Archos... 1. product support (said firmware) 2. product development (broken headphonesplug A5) 3. Customer support (all stories on this board)
Charbax
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Charbax »

Archos firmware updates provide again much more in terms of new features, again especially if you determine it by the pixels per second, bandwidth per second of such features as adding new codecs FLAC, Ogg Vorbis, On2 VP6, full DVD resolution in Flash videos, 720p playback of DivX6 and WMV9 over HDMI, Mpeg2 DVB-T playback and record over DVB-T tuner add-on, and I could go on. But no, I guess you only want to focus on the slight user interface updates that Apple releases for the iphone, the only major feature release being the app store which is populated by 99% iphone apps that nodoby needs and uses.
brdystyls
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by brdystyls »

Archos firmware updates provide again much more in terms of new features
None of which work and they don't fix the current issues. There thought process is; maybe if we keep adding so called "features" that don't work. The consumer won't notice the old bugs not being fixed.
But no, I guess you only want to focus on the slight user interface updates that Apple releases for the iphone, the only major feature release being the app store which is populated by 99% iphone apps that nobody needs and uses.
Why would Ipod fix whats not broken. Archos on the other hand add "features" that were advertised in the first place. Then the "features" still don't work.
Budwzr
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Budwzr »

Adobe added the new codecs to the Flash Lite player (like H.264), not Archos.
The GNU project provides all the multimedia tools, not Archos.

See flowchart below:

Opensource software is developed as a response, not as cutting edge + Archos uses all opensource multimedia software or licenses from outside vendors = Archos does not innovate, except for the hardware design.

It's all been a humongous farce!
The_Blood_Raven
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by The_Blood_Raven »

Archos' software is not as bad as some of you make it out to be. No it can not fulfill all of what it promised or even come close, but that's just because Archos promised way too much. Archos does have some innovations such as a custom OS that can handle the flash lite architecture, but certainly not drag and drop music selection as that has become standard among non-Apple based products. The problem with Archos is that they always try to take on too much with their OS' which doesn't work because they are a small company without the R&D or support funds that their competitors have (Apple, Creative Labs, and even Cowon).

I for one hope that they keep using Android in their products because it should save them a lot of money from R&D which will hopefully allow them to improve their product line-up and customer support. Also it would be nice to have an Archos product that is fully or atleast close to fully out of BETA on launch, though people have to start accepting the fact that it's not just Archos doing that but many companies and many products any more.
Charbax
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Charbax »

Trolls have nothing else to do than trolling.

Archos is so much ahead any other company in this space, it is just pathetic to hear such continued bashing on your part.

Archos supports h264 in Flash videos. Archos supports flash friggin videos, who else does at such beautiful full framerates and full screen, NOBODY else does it. Even Nvidia claiming they can playback full Flash on the Tegra chip, still are NOT showing it working in full framerates and full screen qualities.

GNU does NOT provide multimedia tools, that is just plain lying. All TI based multimedia tools are proprietary and licenced and implemented for the first time by Archos on this planet.

All Archos features work. Sure the browser might crash once in a while, perhaps once ever 4-5 hours of browsing with it using 3-4-5 tabs opened at the same time as I often do). But even Firefox and Google Chrome browsers crash on full desktop x86 environments, especially on Linux even Ubuntu x86, so demanding a perfect browser that doesn't ever crash, given all the crappy bloated websites out there, that is just brainless by design. All the codecs work on Archos better than on any other product on this market.

brdystyls, Budwzr, why don't you announce which companies you work for? I smell something fishy, like you have some deep grunt going on against all Archos products. You wouldn't be working for any competitor by any chance?
The_Blood_Raven
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Charbax wrote:Trolls have nothing else to do than trolling.
I suppose they would...
Charbax wrote:Archos supports h264 in Flash videos. Archos supports flash friggin videos, who else does at such beautiful full framerates and full screen, NOBODY else does it.
So Cowon is a nobody? That's harsh.
Charbax wrote:Even Nvidia claiming they can playback full Flash on the Tegra chip, still are NOT showing it working in full framerates and full screen qualities.
Whoa there, stay on topic. The Tegra chip has more processing power than any mobile CPU on the market and can certainly play flash video, its just the software needs to catch up because the flash video most be made into HUNDREDs of threads instead of just one, a poor comparison.
Charbax wrote:All Archos features work. Sure the browser might crash once in a while, perhaps once ever 4-5 hours of browsing with it using 3-4-5 tabs opened at the same time as I often do). But even Firefox and Google Chrome browsers crash on full desktop x86 environments, especially on Linux even Ubuntu x86, so demanding a perfect browser that doesn't ever crash, given all the crappy bloated websites out there, that is just brainless by design. All the codecs work on Archos better than on any other product on this market.
Basically this is correct, but there are a few things that never came to fruition. However, All the important things about the Archos 5 work now, atleast somewhat, but it has taken a good long time. I for one am not bashing the Archos 5 as I have come to accept it's failures and it's victories in equal measure. Though the browser does crash an awful lot, about once every 20-60 minutes. This doesn't really bother me too much consider the Cowon Q5W does the same exact thing and has an even longer reboot time. Hell I take the reboot time to wipe off finger prints, it is almost convenient... ok maybe not.
Last edited by The_Blood_Raven on Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brdystyls
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by brdystyls »

DNFTT
Budwzr
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Budwzr »

I own many Archos products, I have been a loyal customer for years, I have always tried to defend and promote Archos on this board and in everyday life. I have recommended Archos to friends and family up until now.

I sent you a PM about my battery dock issue to ask for your advice and guidance, and not bring this kind of stuff up on the board, but you never had the courtesy to respond.

To dismiss me as a Troll is ridiculous.
Last edited by Budwzr on Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
brdystyls
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by brdystyls »

He is trolling his own forum everyday. We need a new unbiased forum to go to.
Charbax
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Charbax »

Cowon playing flash videos smoothly in full screen from the internet? You must be joking.

Tegra today does NOT play flash videos from sites such as youtube smoothly. I trust they will fix it before releasing, since Adobe promised to make flash work accros ARM based products, but today it does NOT work. I tried and tested Tegra in Taipei, look for my exclusive videos, I made the worlds most popular Tegra and any other Computex videos.
HellFury
Archos User
Archos User

Post by HellFury »

@Charbax
Anybody who has a different opinion than you isn't immediately a troll! I understand you like Archos VERY much, and I like it too, but I'm just sick of buying products, for which the marketing says you can buy all sorts of peripherals, but you can't even use them half a year after the release of said product! But they do speak of them in the user manual!
The worst part is, that by the time they released the last peripheral, they also announce the successor...

Now, I think that the Archos5 is the best product on the market, in it's own market. It has it's downsides, but for sure its upsides. It comes down to the fact, the point where this thread went downhill, is that Archos needs to redefine not only it's business model, but also its software development model.
brdystyls
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by brdystyls »

@HellFury

=D>

Secondly, DNFTT
HellFury
Archos User
Archos User

Post by HellFury »

@ brdystyls
I don't really think abybody is trolling this forum, but it's just a different perspective on product placement en aftersales support.
Charbax
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Charbax »

It took Apple about a year and a half to add copy and paste support to the iphone. I don't mind at all that it takes Archos 5-6 months to release the DVB-T add-on and HD 720p DivX and WMV playback. Archos specifically said those would come later without giving specific dates when releasing the product.
Budwzr
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Budwzr »

What about the 3.5g dongle still advertised on Henri's video at frame 262? Where is it????? He's showcasing something that doesn't exist. Go look at frame 262.

Charbax wrote:It took Apple about a year and a half to add copy and paste support to the iphone. I don't mind at all that it takes Archos 5-6 months to release the DVB-T add-on and HD 720p DivX and WMV playback. Archos specifically said those would come later without giving specific dates when releasing the product.
The_Blood_Raven
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Charbax wrote:Cowon playing flash videos smoothly in full screen from the internet? You must be joking.

Tegra today does NOT play flash videos from sites such as youtube smoothly. I trust they will fix it before releasing, since Adobe promised to make flash work accros ARM based products, but today it does NOT work. I tried and tested Tegra in Taipei, look for my exclusive videos, I made the worlds most popular Tegra and any other Computex videos.
It uses the same Flash Lite as the Archos.

Also I never said Tegra worked right now, just that it is a bad example because of the uniqueness of it's software problem.

Return to “Archos 9”