unhip_crayon
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Do you plan on purchasing the Archos 9?

Post by unhip_crayon »

kb
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Re: Do you plan on purchasing the Archos 9?

Post by kb »

If I wanted something like this, I think I'd go for the Gigabyte offerings. Similar size, but with a keyboard. But I guess it depends on the price.
Archos5Fan
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Archos5Fan »

It depends: is the HDD upgradable, is the screen high quality/wide viewing angle, will this run Tablet PC software (built into Vista and 7) with handwriting recognition?
Idire
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Idire »

Disk space is too small.

Change it to 500gb, and i might be interested.
Archos 5, 250gb
rlauzon
Archos User
Archos User

Post by rlauzon »

Major fail on Archos' part.

9" netbooks are going for only $170. $633 (according to The Awesomer) for the Archos 9 doesn't cut it.

The Archos 9 comes pre-contaminated with Windows. Why should I pay a premium (usually about $100) to run a buggy, insecure, poor-performing OS?
swec
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by swec »

for the small laptop/tablet, battery life is the most important things for me.
I had Asus R2H, Sony UX280 but not impressed with the battery life and gave up.
my asus 1000He has 8 hours of battery life but it's a bit heavy (3lb) and even with previous netbook (Acer Aspire one), I have 5.5 hours easily.

If Archos 9 can pull this off with 5 hours+ battery life yet light weight, then I won't mind getting one to give it a try. :)
605x2,TV+,5x2
brdystyls
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by brdystyls »

I said no. For the price i could buy two Touchbook by Always Innovating.
Archos5Fan
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Archos5Fan »

This unscientific poll is kinda scary. Has Viliv stolen Archos' thunder?
swec
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by swec »

anything can be sold if the price is right. :) and no, I am not a Realtor agent. :p

Look at how much 605 was sold in the past 3 months.
It sells like hot cake because it's being clear out and it's average around $150 or less for 80GB.

btw, they completely took out 605/705 from Archos.com.
605x2,TV+,5x2
Charbax
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Charbax »

brdystyls wrote:I said no. For the price i could buy two Touchbook by Always Innovating.
Archos probably will sell cheaper Texas Instruments based laptops as well later.

Always Innovating actually isn't much cheaper, 399 vs 499 dollars.

In my opinion, a good ARM based laptop should not cost more than 200 dollars, that's the whole point about it.
CBers
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by CBers »

ecsw wrote:btw, they completely took out 605/705 from Archos.com.
There are no GEN4 or GEN5 units listed !!

Bang goes another firmware release everyone was hoping for !!
statsja
Archos User
Archos User

Post by statsja »

CBers wrote:
ecsw wrote:btw, they completely took out 605/705 from Archos.com.
There are no GEN4 or GEN5 units listed !!

Bang goes another firmware release everyone was hoping for !!
You can find some of the remains under the Store heading/tag
Budwzr
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Budwzr »

Archos will suffer for making this radical direction change. The morale in their firmware dev dept. has to be at an all-time low. Their best programmers probably are jamming monster.com with resumes as we speak.
Charbax
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Charbax »

Budwzr wrote:Archos will suffer for making this radical direction change. The morale in their firmware dev dept. has to be at an all-time low. Their best programmers probably are jamming monster.com with resumes as we speak.
Troll.

This isn't a radical direction change.

Selling netbooks is an easy side project for Archos to make more revenues while netbooks are popular.
HellFury
Archos User
Archos User

Post by HellFury »

Hey guys, please quit bashing Archos in this way.
First of all: If you were STILL hoping for a new firmware for the 5th generation Archos players, you are hoping for something that will never happen. Even the 6th (current) generation won't probably see a new firmware, since everything is working enough. Don't complain about the camera and such (I can understand you feel pissed that they were never really released), they were never released, and their aim is the new devices (archos 9, 13).

The R&D-dept. is probably head deep into the Win7-, Linux- & Android-programming scene. Product SUPPORT has probably shifted completely to product DEVELOPMENT. Can you blame them?
brdystyls
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by brdystyls »

@Budwzr

Do worry he been calling alot of people trolls lately.
Budwzr
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Budwzr »

He should watch his own videos. Archos declared publically that their new corporate strategy is through "partners", A partner is a corporate buzzword for "farm out" or outsource.

I watched Henry Crohno (or whatever his name is) lay it all out onstage in a powerpoint presentation. These types of public announcements (with Microsoft executives on hand to add credibility and prop him up in front of investors) are made to raise capital and allay investor's fears. Archos stock is probably taking a nose-dive, because of the recent succession of failures lately.

Croho anounced a new direction for Archos clearly due to concerns that their lineup is increasingly lacking in features most-wanted by users, leaving the impression that Archos is out of touch with current technology, technically unable to deliver it, and keeps trying to embellish a dead horse (the last three gens are essentially the same tired "features" in a new can).

Many "hi-tech" features are announced, like the tv-portation whatever, but never materialize. It's as if Archos has to create a false buzz just to get some units out the door. And then they can't deliver so they change the subject with another new Gen. It's getting embarrassing.

This is a common pitfall of these ironfisted CEO's that have a dream 20 years ago of a portable video player, and now that they accomplished it, technology has advanced the same 20 years and they don't know what to do, so they keep peddling the same old tech as new tech. Hey, we already have Samsung and LG doing that, Henri. Hello!

The A10 is on "fire sale" at Amazon for way under $300 out the door including shipping, but it is still featured on the Archos lineup page just to add fluff, and make it look like a big new wide line to investors. It might fool them, but us buyers already see the writing on the wall.
brdystyls wrote:@Budwzr

Do worry he been calling alot of people trolls lately.
Last edited by Budwzr on Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
brdystyls
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by brdystyls »

=D> Argeed
Budwzr
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Budwzr »

My post might get deleted, Charbax is Archos' chief fanboi.
The_Blood_Raven
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by The_Blood_Raven »

Charbax is not so bad. The way he describes things is loaded with bias, but his points tend to be somewhat well rounded.

I also do not think this is a radical direction change at all, I believe this is the right direction for Archos and is only natural given the recent problems they've had. Their hardware is always very good as well as the hardware support (in the U.S. a call will get you great customer service from my experiences), but their software is lagging and their support for that software is pretty damn bad to the point where they can not figure out how to catalog songs from pre-1970 by year. So what is the logical next step? Put Archos' impressive hardware together with already market soluble and proven software (android + windows).

This has more to do with Archos' quality and reputation and less about investors. The name Archos is mostly spread by mouth and the reputation of the last 2 generations is likely hurting their image and customer following very badly so they must reinvent themselves, even in a semi-minor way.

Return to “Archos 9”