Thinking of buying 5IT

Archos Android Tablet available now 8GB ($189), 16GB ($229), 32GB ($258), 160GB ($310), 500GB ($349)
Obsequium
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thinking of buying 5IT

Post by Obsequium »

Hi,

Hopefully this hasn’t been posted before – I tried searching but I’m a bit confused about OpenAOS , the firmware on the Archos 5 IT and basically its general capabilities. A lot of this information might be outdated too, so I thought I’d check my queries here.

Basically I want an mp3/media player with:
- Large capacity (>100gb)
- Long battery life
- Last.fm scrobbling (I listen to a lot of music and track gigs using last.fm, so this is pretty important).

Also desirable are WiFi support for Amazon Cloud mp3 player, Winamp wireless syncing and bluethooth support, but these are all secondary to the items above.

As far as I can tell, one way (the only way?) of doing this without spending a fortune on a big tablet (this needs to fit in my pocket) would be to buy an Archos 5 Internet Tablet.

Is it possible to root the device, flash a build of CyanogenMod (or another 2.2./2.3. build), get access to the Google Play app market, and therefore access the Last.fm scrobbler, Winamp and Amazon mp3?

I’ve got plenty of experience with rooting, updating firmware etc so if this requires a lot of tinkering under the hood of the player that’s fine. One thing that’s making me a bit nervous is the number of poor reviews on Amazon, especially focusing around freezing – is this an issue with the stock firmware/Android 1.6 OS (and therefore fixable by running an updated/custom firmware/OS) or is this a problem with the hardware?

Cheers.
Mikeypa
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Re: Thinking of buying 5IT

Post by Mikeypa »

is this a problem with the hardware?
All you have to do is read all the problems this 5IT has had since day one. Avoid this unit at all costs. And yes, I own one. I wouldn't give this thing to my worst enemy. If you need a small form factor and are willing to accept less storage (32GB) then go with a Samsung Galaxy Player 5.0. It's rock solid compared to a 5IT. The reviews say it all.

http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/mp3-pl ... AA-reviews
Cary L. Brown
Archos User
Archos User

Re: Thinking of buying 5IT

Post by Cary L. Brown »

Mikeypa wrote:
is this a problem with the hardware?
All you have to do is read all the problems this 5IT has had since day one. Avoid this unit at all costs. And yes, I own one. I wouldn't give this thing to my worst enemy. If you need a small form factor and are willing to accept less storage (32GB) then go with a Samsung Galaxy Player 5.0. It's rock solid compared to a 5IT. The reviews say it all.

http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/mp3-pl ... AA-reviews
Well, that's not really reasonable...

I'm writing this on my A5it right now. It gives me very few issues.

There are two main "issues" with the A5it. Both are related to error-handling.

First, the unit doesn't handle corupted media files well, and will often try to play them when it should identify them as "bad" files and refuse to play them. This will result in a lock-up sometimes.

Second, on some web pages (almost always ones with "active content" the browser doesn't know how to properly handle) the system will address the resultant error the only way it knows how... by flushing the memory and rebooting the Android OS (but not the entire device... the underlying Archos code stays alive and the hardware doesn't reset... just Android!).

Since my media files are fine, I never see the lockups. I DO see OS restarts fairly often, but only on a few sites.

KEY to avoiding corruption during file download is to ensure the device's hard drive does not oveheat during syncing. You can do this by not moving too many files at once, or you can do what I do and point a fan to blow air over the Archos while moving a lot of files at once.

The A5it remains the best "big storage" device yet made. The moment Samsung, or anyone else, gives us a more up to date device with this much storage, I'll upgrade. Sadly, for now, no one is making any device comparable to this device!

Return to “Archos 5 Internet Tablet with Android”