Your help needed PLZ: not hearing music

Archos Android Tablet available now 8GB ($189), 16GB ($229), 32GB ($258), 160GB ($310), 500GB ($349)
nightshadow
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Your help needed PLZ: not hearing music

Post by nightshadow »

Hi,
New here. I have a Archos 5, 8GB. Actually it's my husbands, but he is not technical at all. After 2 years he had it in his possession he handed it to me to 'look' at it, because he couldn't get any music on it. Well, that's the main purpuse of the tablet.
After diving in the deeper menu system I figured out how to transfer music from my pc to the Archos as my pc didn't recognise the Archos at first.
Ok, I got it working - for a week or so - but now the music is playing but with no sound. I don't have a clue what my husband did to mess up...

I'm about to smash the Archos to the wall :evil: . but in despair I hope someone here knows what to do.
What I already tried:
    checked soundsettings;
    In repair section:
    formatted personal data, didn't work
    removed systemdata and cache, didn't solve problem either
    Went back to standard configuration, formatting, no success

So now I don't have a clue what else I could do to solve the problem, but does anyone here can help? (ps, disgard any mistakes in spelling, my English isn't that good :oops: )
Last edited by nightshadow on Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jamie41
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Re: Your help needed PLZ: not hearing music

Post by jamie41 »

Boot into Recovery Menu, reformat device? Have a copy of your downloaded Firmware ready on your PC, and USB cable.
nightshadow
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by nightshadow »

Thanks for answerring me.
But I don't quite understand (I'm Dutch and not that good with pc's as everybody here, so I might not get the finer details).

Do you mean that I have to do the format thingie again? (as I stated before, my Archos has in Settings, About Device, Repair and Formatting, several options. I think I had them tried all, so also the formatting)
OR
Do you refer to a different manner of formatting? In that case I don't understand how to proceed. If so can you give me the steps to follow?

As a matter of fact, the crappy helpdesk of Archos already sent me a RMA for my previous problem (getting recognised by my pc), which was in the end a settings thing. So I neither can ask them about an other problem, nor can we sent the device back for repair (we can't find the purchase receipt).

Thanks in advance

Edit: forgot to mention that I did read all manuals I could find online.
eddie32818
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by eddie32818 »

Are you not getting sound from earbuds or from the speaker? Check this first and check volume level.

Good luck.
605wifi 160gb / 5it 500gb
nightshadow
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by nightshadow »

@Eddie32818: Neither.
No sound from headphones, no sound from speakers. (my husband first had the thought his earphones were dead, tried several different phones, nothing)
I already checked the volumesettings at Mediavolume (it is called this way when language is set to Dutch). It is at about 85 percent, but if I put it all out, it doesn't make any differenc.
I also put a check mark at Hearable Selection (again: language is set to Dutch) When I close down completely, I hear a kind of bleep sound.
So I assume the settings are not the problem here.
jamie41
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by jamie41 »

nightshadow wrote:Thanks for answerring me.
But I don't quite understand (I'm Dutch and not that good with pc's as everybody here, so I might not get the finer details).

Do you mean that I have to do the format thingie again? (as I stated before, my Archos has in Settings, About Device, Repair and Formatting, several options. I think I had them tried all, so also the formatting)
OR
Do you refer to a different manner of formatting? In that case I don't understand how to proceed. If so can you give me the steps to follow?

As a matter of fact, the crappy helpdesk of Archos already sent me a RMA for my previous problem (getting recognised by my pc), which was in the end a settings thing. So I neither can ask them about an other problem, nor can we sent the device back for repair (we can't find the purchase receipt).

Thanks in advance

Edit: forgot to mention that I did read all manuals I could find online.

I assume you're familiar with connecting your Archos 5IT to your PC using a USB cable, to transfer files?

If so, go to the Archos support website and download the FirmWare for your A5 onto your PC, and have your USB cable to hand.

With your Archos switched off, press AND HOLD FOR A LONG TIME the Volume Down button on your A5. Press then release the Power On button on your A5, while still keeping the Volume Down button pressed. Eventually, while still holding the Volume Down button pressed, a "Recovery" Menu will appear on a white screen.

On this screen, you navigate up and down the options by using the Vol up and down buttons, and select an option by pressing the Power On button. So, navigate to "Format Disk", then press the Power On button to select.

Follow the onscreen instructions. It will eventually tell you connect your Archos to a PC using a USB cable, and copy your FW (which you already downloaded onto your PC) onto your Archos. Follow the instructions.

Eventually you will have an "out of the box" Archos, but with the latest FW.

Before you customise your Archos, and install loads of apps, first test out your Music in the normal manner.
Cary L. Brown
Archos User
Archos User

Post by Cary L. Brown »

One addition to Jamie's (excellent) advice here...

When you do that, you delete everything on the device. EVERYTHING.

When you reformat and reinstall, you will not have an exact "out of the box" version of the Archos just yet. It'll be close, but not exact. In particular, all the demo media, wallpapers, etc, etc... will be missing.

A key resource for putting your device back into "as shipped" form is this website. I actually downloaded the complete subdirectory for both devices I own, by the way, so even if this disappears someday, I can still restore to "as shipped" condition.

ftp://support.archos.com/

Here's the subsection for this device:

ftp://support.archos.com/ARCHOS%205%20I ... %20Tablet/

In my case, using an FTP client (such as, for example, FileZilla), I made a full copy of this. While you CAN individually download all the files from within here, it's a lot easier to use something like Filezilla to get the full file collection, in the original "structure" no less.

This contains everything you have to add back in, in order to get your Archos back into working order. You can just copy that entire directory to the internal hard drive of your Archos, if you like... but most of it will need to be "installed" (in particular, the APK files, which are Android application installers) Other items need to be copied into (or "over?") existing directories on the A5IT hard drive.

That will give you all the wallpapers, media files, etc, which were originally installed. You WILL NOT HAVE THEM unless you do this.

(Or rather, it MAY... there seem to be less files in here than were on my device when I received it.

For instance, I had some videos of some guy surfing... "Ben Wilson" or someone like that... which can't be found here. But that's not a big deal, is it? Still, before wiping the entire Archos internal storage... you MIGHT want to copy off all your own media files and so forth, so you can restore them later if you wish!)

Oh, also from there, you'll possibly want to download the "nDrive Update" which applies to the Archos 5IT. This is the built-in GPS application (which is originally a "trial" you must buy if you want to keep). You don't really NEED to use nDrive, though... there are other options.

You'll also want to make sure you have the most recent version of AppLib. That can be found from the FTP site as well... but, unlike the rest of this stuff, can be found from the Archos website support page as well.
nightshadow
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by nightshadow »

& Jamey41 and mr.Brown, both of you thanks.
In the end succeeded with the format. My fingers were already aching, then I found out that I had to press + holding the volume button and after a minute or so pressing on button AND RELEASING the volume button. The releasing was the trick that did it. Gosh... Got the white screen etc, followed instructions, had all data already downloaden to my pc.....
So I was hopefully the music would play, but helas NO and now the mediaplayer cannot synchronise, asks me to plug in, which I had already done. Yes, I've got Mediaplayer 11. Back to settings. Utp settings on Mass Storage Device and not the second option. .... sigh. I will sleep on it and try again in the morning going all over again. Let you know about results.
Thanks, and good night.
Cary L. Brown
Archos User
Archos User

Post by Cary L. Brown »

In the end succeeded with the format. My fingers were already aching, then I found out that I had to press + holding the volume button and after a minute or so pressing on button AND RELEASING the volume button. The releasing was the trick that did it.
Now that's odd...

It doesn't take a minute... only a few seconds... on my device. Press and hold the volume-up button, and while pressing and holding that, press and hold the power button. It shouldn't take more than about three seconds to get the white screen you mention. No way it ought to be taking over a minute!

There are two possibilities. First, maybe you weren't fully holding the buttons? I'm sorry if that sounds crass... but it's one of only two possibilities.

The other possibility is that the device you have has been damaged in some way. I say "damaged" because even basic quality control would not permit a device with this serious of a defect to ship out the door. Maybe it got dropped, and the "buttons" on the internal PC board aren't lining up properly with the plastic bits which form the "buttons" anymore?

This also could have something to do with the playback-through-jack issue, I suppose... especially if the device got dropped, or yanked around, or whatever, while the headphone was attached. These various bits are held onto the board by solder joints, which serve both as physical attachment and electrical connection. Overstressing them can cause the solder joints to fracture... I've seen this sort of thing many times on many different devices.

So... that's a real possibility. Is there any reason to believe that the device might have been dropped, banged, slammed, etc, etc, at any point? Again, not trying to be sarcastic or smarmy, just trying to eliminate the most obvious potential problem.

Also, is this the Hard Disk version (thicker, heavier, and without an SD card slot) or is it the flash memory version (thinner and having the little card slot)? The two are almost entirely different internally. So it makes a difference...
Gosh... Got the white screen etc, followed instructions, had all data already downloaden to my pc.....
Let's be clear... you did do a complete format of the hard drive, and you did reinstall the Archos operating system onto the device, both? Which version of the OS did you install? 2.0.45 is the most recent one, of course...

What you may not realize is that the Archos system is not all in one place... ie, all on the hard drive/flash drive, or all in the PROM on the main PC board. It's sort of split between the two.

So... if you totally wiped the hard drive... did a clean reformat... you haven't actually reinstalled the OS yet, which exists in a programmable memory block on the main board, not on the hard drive.

As you were doing the format, it should have prompted you at some point to load the latest OS into the root of the hard drive. You'd be able to access the hard drive, through the USB cable, from your computer, and could drop the file right in there. Then, at boot time, the Archos would find this file and install it "automagically."

Did you do that as well, or did you JUST purge the hard drive?

As far as "Android" is concerned, the Android OS lives in the programmable memory on the board, and treats the the entire hard drive as a big "storage card." (this is part of why there is so limited an amount of "application space" in early Android devices... because all applications had to be installed in "main memory," not in "add-on memory.")

So, if you didn't reinstall the Archos-modified Android OS, it's largely the same as having purged a cell phone's "add-on memory card" without affecting the phone. Does that make sense?

So... did you reinstall the OS as well? That wasn't clear from your comment.

One thing I'm unclear about is this... does Android dump all its settings when this is done, or does it retain them? I'm not sure. I've always done "upgrade installs" rather than "clean wipes" of my A5IT. I've clean-wiped my A5IMT twice, but that device doesn't us Android, soo...
So I was hopefully the music would play, but helas NO and now the mediaplayer cannot synchronise, asks me to plug in, which I had already done.
Okay, to be clear... when does it "ask you to plug in," and what, SPECIFICALLY, is it saying?
Yes, I've got Mediaplayer 11. Back to settings. Utp settings on Mass Storage Device and not the second option. .... sigh. I will sleep on it and try again in the morning going all over again. Let you know about results.
Thanks, and good night.
Okay, this is unclear... do you EVER GET ANY SOUND OF ANY KIND through this device? Anything from the speaker? Any "clicks" (assuming you've set that) when you touch the screen? Any sound of any kind at any time, through any means?

I had something happen on my older A5IMT once. I'd just figured out how to open the case, and then put it back together. The problem was, I got no sound of any kind at any time. Turns out, my "volume button" had a bit of wire trapped between it and the on-board button. Meaning... the "DOWN VOLUME" was actually being pressed, at all times. If volume is always at the lowest setting... you won't hear anything. It may seem obvious, but it wasn't.

Try playing something, and look at the "volume level meter" on the screen. While playing a song or a video using the Archos Media player application (I can't talk to any "third party" players you might try, mind you!), try to use the screen (rather than the buttons) to "dial it up." Is it supposedly playing at full volume, and you still can't hear it? (you know how to get the volume meter, right? Just tap on the playback screen, and it should be on the right hand side of the screen... you can drag it, or just look at it.)

I know this may seem insulting if you're technically savvy... but it's not. You have to eliminate every possibility, explicitly, before you can ignore it... that's fundamental to all "root cause analysis."
nightshadow
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by nightshadow »

Hi Gary etc. Brown,
Thanks for your very long and detailed reply. You took the time and effort, so I will try to do the same. (but I lost my former reply due to freezing IE)

1: to my knowledge the device never fall down or so, but I can't be 100% sure because it was used by my husband, although he stated that nothing special happened... I'm only the 'technical helpdesk' here, meaning that I know some more as he does and having more patience.
I know this is a pity (ahum) in the sense that I cann't eliminate this possibility.

2. About the actual format: I've tried this several times, but it only works if I hold the volume button quite long, but maybe a whole minute isn't necessairy. I cann't discuss if I'm pressing hard enough or so, maybe so, maybe not, but in the end it worked and that's what matters.

3. I have the version with a SD card slot (I think, I don't have any comparison here) Will send a pic.

4. I have version 2.0.45 and in order to describe the process I formatted again and took some pics. Somewhere in the process I had to drag folders to the Archos drive K. I hope it's clear now what I did.

5. This is what the Archos is containing now:

6. The only sound I get is when I'm shutting down completely or connecting the USB cable: it gives a bleep-sound. I don't hear tapping sounds and I had turned this setting on. So I guess that's really bad...

7. Almost forgot to mention: after formatting and reinstalling suddenly in MediaPlayer the Archoss was recognised and it could be synchronised. It's really nice to have your favorite music, but well, the 'hearing issue' isn't solved yet.

I hope I mentioned all important things now & hopefully you see a solution (other than sent the device back, I couldn't find the original receipt of purchase so I think this isn't an option)

Thanks in advance
Cary L. Brown
Archos User
Archos User

Post by Cary L. Brown »

So, it looks like you did everything correctly... I would have assumed that, but it does seem to be the case that sometimes you can't assume that sort of thing. So, I wanted to be certain.

The device you have is the flash-memory based device, as I assumed was the case. Good to know.

I have one more suggestion to try... IF YOU ARE ABLE. Do you have any of the various "dock" devices which are (or rather, "were?") available for the Archos Gen 5 and 6 devices?

The various options are, as far as I'm aware, the following:

1) The Archos Mini Dock.

2) The Archos Battery Dock.

3) The Archos HDMI Dock.

4) The Archos DVR Station.

If you don't have one, do you know anyone who might have one? I realize, the answer is likely "no" to any of those, but I wanted to ask.

The reason I ask is that each of those has a means of a secondary audio output, unrelated to either the speaker in the device, or to the headphone jack in the device. The first two have an "octopus cable" which provides a composite video, S-video, and right and left audio channels. The third can output digital audio via HDMI. And the fourth can output audio either by left/right RCA jacks, by HDMI, or by SPDIF digital (through an RCA jack, not through optical), and video by component, composite, S-video, or HDMI.

I woudl not expect you to have one, but if you have one, or can find one in the possession of a friend, it would be very helpful as part of the diagnosis.

Again, I hate to seem insulting... I'm sure you've checked this... but are you certain that the volume is not just turned down, or muted? (I'm 99.9% sure that it's not going to be the case, but I've known people who worried over a device for a week, until discovering that they'd forgotten to plug in the power cord, for example!)

There are very limited sound settings in the Archos 5IT, as I know you've discovered. Basically, you have an audio volume setting, an option to choose whether or not you get a 'click" when hitting the screen (I like it, but I know people who don't), and an option to set up the "equalizer" (which doesn't work when using the built-in speaker, of course).

The volume control for this, obviously you've figured out. But the fact that you have to hold it as long as you do is VERY interesting... it infers that this control could be malfunctioning in some way. I strongly recommend you confirm whether or not this might be a mechanical problem related to this control.

So, the one question I asked, and which you didn't explicitly answer... are you sure that the volume is turned up and is STAYING UP? That is... if you go into a song, through the Archos Media application, and start playing... then click the screen, you should see the volume meter/adjustment slider on the right edge of the screen. You can drag this up and down, or you can press the "buttons" above or below the vertical bar, and you can adjust the volume that way.

I ask that because this is EXACTLY what I saw when my "down volume" button was being pressed by the wire caught between the plastic button and the circuit-board-mounted actual control. I mean... the thing would "beep" during startup-shutdown events (which are not subject to the software volume control) but I was dead silent for everything else. Of course, that was on my A5IMT, not the A5IT... (I have both)... so I'm not sure if that would happen with the unit you have.

The weird thing is that you DO hear a "storage disconnect beep." That tells me that the speaker must actually be OK.

I think you said you'd tried all of the "Repair and formatting tools." Is that true? That is... everything from "Clear temporary files and system cache" down to "full reinitialization," in sequence?

A "full reinitialization" will reset everything in the OS to "factory standard" default settings, and should eliminate any software "misconfigurations" which might have been retained after re-installing the OS (I DO think that the OS settings are retained when the OS is updated or reinstalled).

If you do that, after having already done a full flash-drive reformat (as you've clearly already done)... ig you're certain that the volume control is set to an appropriate level and is staying there, not dropping due to a switch problem... and the problem persists, it's almost certainly a hardware problem with the headphone jack. That's actually something you can find discussed in another thread on here: viewtopic.php?f=47&t=65270

A broken headphone jack might FOOL the unit into thinking that a headphone is inserted, even when one isn't... but would not permit sound to leave through the jack (again, due to the jack being broken). But you WOULD get the "shutdown beep."

This could be anything from a bit of conductive material being jammed into the headphone jack (a relatively simple fix, albeit one which requires some fineness to fix), to a jack which is broken away from the PC board (also relatively simple to fix, but requiring a bit more prep-work to manage)... to an actual BROKEN connector (ie, conductive elements inside the connector having been bent, broken, or deformed in some fashion).

If you can get access to a dock of some sort, test to see if the audio output through that works. If it does... you'll know you have a hardware problem, and almost certainly it's the headphone jack. If it doesn't... and if you've checked to ensure that your "volume" setting is not dropping down to the bottom of the setting range... then it's very, very likely that you have a problem with your headphone jack having junk in it, being broken away from the circuit board, or being broken internally.

If it's a software thing, the "full reinitialization" along with the drive reformat should clear it up. If it's not, it's certainly a hardware thing. If the volume won't stay up, it's related to the volume switch. If it's constant, and you get the "shutdown unmounting beep" but nothing else.. it's the headphone jack, no question.

Archos can repair things like this, but they'll charge a HUGE amount to do the repair. When my hard drive on my A5IMT started to fail, the told me that they could replace it... but the cost was more than the original cost of the device! I found a guy on Ebay who was able to help me out (he also, as I've learned, posts here... which is how I found this site!) . This cost me less than 1/3 of what Archos wanted to charge me for the same service. (Archos doesn't want you to keep your current equipment, they want to sell you NEW equipment, after all.)

You might be better off finding a local shop... or even, as I've done, repairing it yourself (if you feel competent to do so).

There are guides to disassembly of an Archos player... you can find some info here, and also on another site here: http://archos.g3nius.org

There may be others as well. Also, you'll want to search "Youtube" for some useful videos.

I'd take that approach, personally, but I have the right tools and skills. If you don't... or just don't have the inclination to try... you can take it to a local electronics repair shop, point out what I've just told you, and tell them what I've told you as well. Instead of the couple of hundred I suspect Archos would charge you, they can likely fix a headphone jack issue for less than $50 US (maybe a LOT less). The hardest bit is getting the case apart, honestly.

My unit is a hard drive unit, so I can't give you direct guidance on repair of a flash drive unit. Though, I'm sure that the internals (especially the circuit board) are likely identical in virtually every major way.

In the end, if none of the above work... and if you can't find a local electronics repair shop you trust... you'll want to try these guys.

http://archosrepairs.com/repair-archos/ ... /1509.html

While I have not personally done business with them, they seem knowledgeable and I have not heard anything negative about them. And they're quite a bit less pricey than sending something back to Archos is going to be.

I hope this helps.
nightshadow
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by nightshadow »

Hi Gary L. Brown,
Again you wrote me a long detailed reply. Thank you for that.

No need to make excuses, I'm in no way insulted. In fact I understand that you have to be sure assumptions are correct. That said I go on answerring.
Do you have any of the various "dock" devices which are (or rather, "were?") available for the Archos Gen 5 and 6 devices?
Helas no, and I don't have any friends, family that have a Archos tablet.

Again, I hate to seem insulting... I'm sure you've checked this... but are you certain that the volume is not just turned down, or muted? (I'm 99.9% sure that it's not going to be the case, but I've known people who worried over a device for a week, until discovering that they'd forgotten to plug in the power cord, for example!)
I checked and double checked this, in fact it was the first item I checked, because well..... I have made some simular mistakes with all kind of devices as power cord unplugged and such.
I also checked if volume would stay on the same level and stayed on. This was the case, so I stripe down this possibility.

The volume control for this, obviously you've figured out. But the fact that you have to hold it as long as you do is VERY interesting... it infers that this control could be malfunctioning in some way. I strongly recommend you confirm whether or not this might be a mechanical problem related to this control.

I think so too, and all is coming to the point the conclusion must be a hardware problem. Even if I cann't check with a docking system.

The weird thing is that you DO hear a "storage disconnect beep." That tells me that the speaker must actually be OK.
I agree on this one, but wasn't sure because I don't know anything about how this device is composed in hardware.

think you said you'd tried all of the "Repair and formatting tools." Is that true? That is... everything from "Clear temporary files and system cache" down to "full reinitialization," in sequence?

A "full reinitialization" will reset everything in the OS to "factory standard" default settings, and should eliminate any software "misconfigurations" which might have been retained after re-installing the OS (I DO think that the OS settings are retained when the OS is updated or reinstalled).

If you do that, after having already done a full flash-drive reformat (as you've clearly already done)... ig you're certain that the volume control is set to an appropriate level and is staying there, not dropping due to a switch problem... and the problem persists, it's almost certainly a hardware problem with the headphone jack. That's actually something you can find discussed in another thread on here: viewtopic.php?f=47&t=65270
I'm glad I have now some kind of diagnosis of what's wrong and I looked on the 'wiki pages' how to open the Archos (real interesting!) and to handle earjack issues. The bit with the solding is pretty much above my abilities, although I can do solding on silver rings etc. But no experimenting here.

In the end, if none of the above work... and if you can't find a local electronics repair shop you trust... you'll want to try these guys .http://archosrepairs.com/repair-archos/ ... /1509.html
I have asked them to give me a price for repairing. I will decide when I have their proposition.

So really, really thank you for helping me with the diagnosis. I'm pretty sure this is the issue here. Also I find the way you handle this is ... very nice. I've been on other forums (other subjects) were the people were very harsh when you didn't had as much experience as them. So again: Thank you. =D>
eddie32818
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by eddie32818 »

Seems like there's one other thing you can try. If there is a problem with a faulty earphone jack and a faulty internal speaker, then try pairing your 5it with a Bluetooth headset to see if you can at least play music this way. If you can verify the volume buttons move the volume slider bar (up , down) then you may get away with using Bluetooth, until you can get it repaired. I've been using a Samsung HS3000 stereo Bluetooth headset with my 5it and it works very well.

You mentioned the device is 2 years old, so it's likely the original factory warranty has expired, unfortunately.

Lastly, if you bought the GPS car kit, you may be able to get it to play in your car over the FM radio, a feature available only when you connect the supplied dc charger from the cig lighter directly to your Archos 5it player.

Good luck.
nightshadow
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by nightshadow »

@Eddie32818:
Thanks for your advice, but I don't have a bluetooth headset. For the moment I'm thinking about the costs of repair. Just got an email from them. (them is ArchosRepairs.com) For the record: they charge 38 Euro and for ensured sending I have to pay about 8 to 10 euro. So about 50 Euro.
As my husband (who is the owner) bought himself a new cellphone (smartphone) that also can play music, he doesn't need the Archos anymore. I can have it, but when I'm gonna use this? I have a Ipod I'm perfectly happy with, my pc and in about half a year I can have a smartphone too. So ....... I don't no if I'm gonna have it repaired.

@ Everbody here: thanks for your patience and advice, you too Eddie. I think about everything is said (written). The only thing left - which might be a matter of taste -, I don't see the advantage of Archos tablets to f.e. a Samsung Galaxy. (or an Ipad for that matter). I think that will be another discussion.

Again thanks to all!
eddie32818
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by eddie32818 »

nightshadow wrote:@Eddie32818:
Thanks for your advice, but I don't have a bluetooth headset. For the moment I'm thinking about the costs of repair. Just got an email from them. (them is ArchosRepairs.com) For the record: they charge 38 Euro and for ensured sending I have to pay about 8 to 10 euro. So about 50 Euro.
As my husband (who is the owner) bought himself a new cellphone (smartphone) that also can play music, he doesn't need the Archos anymore. I can have it, but when I'm gonna use this? I have a Ipod I'm perfectly happy with, my pc and in about half a year I can have a smartphone too. So ....... I don't no if I'm gonna have it repaired.

@ Everbody here: thanks for your patience and advice, you too Eddie. I think about everything is said (written). The only thing left - which might be a matter of taste -, I don't see the advantage of Archos tablets to f.e. a Samsung Galaxy. (or apad for that matter). I think that will be another discussion.

Again thanks to all!

Are you sure you've checked your "power widget" or "useful switchers" (what mine has) to check the Silent Mode setting?

Hope you get it fixed, soon.
Cary L. Brown
Archos User
Archos User

Post by Cary L. Brown »

You're very welcome... I try to "do unto others as I'd have them do unto me," and if I can help someone, why shouldn't I?

The advantage of this over a Samsung Galaxy Tab... well, for a smaller size unit like yours, probably not too much. I'm a bit surprised that they're talking about 50 Euros (about 61 US dollars) for this... but that's still far, far less than Archos would charge for the same service.

The main reason I still stick, loyally, with my own Archos devices is because no current device has anything remotely like this amount of storage, in this form-factor. If there were a 500GB 5" tablet, running more current hardware and OS... regardless of who made it... I'd be inclined to replace the Archos with that.

The thing is... NOBODY (not even Archos) is making anything like that now. Very, very disappointing. My 500GB unit is about half full... movies, music, PDF books, "Amazon Audible" audio books, games (finally got a WORKING version of DooM on mine!), a GPS (a backup for my Garmin device, but it's nice to have!) and so forth. And it's only half full!

That's why I still loyally hang onto my Archos.

Now... if you don't want a lot of internal storage... and your Archos was a smaller size unit to begin with... I don't see any real advantage to sticking with the Archos device, or the Archos brand, right now.

So... the question you need to ask yourself is this: (a) Do I have a need for this device? Or... perhaps... do I know someone else who'd like it, once working?

50 Euro... $61 US... is not a trivial amount, but still quite a bit less than the cost of a new device with similar functionality. That's roughly what a little "Sansa Clip" with 8GB would cost, today, and it can't play video or do many of the things that Archos can do.

If you don't need it, want it, etc... you might want to think about getting it fixed and giving it as a present to someone you know, who doesn't have anything like this... that's what I'd likely do.

If you decide to just dispose of it, I recommend seeing if there's anyone here who might want to buy it (for parts if for no other reason). Some Archos parts are VERY hard to come by... and the screen, alone, is worth more than the "repair cost" you've been quoted.

(My original cost for my 500GB device was about $550 US... or about $450 in Euros at the current exchange rate. So this price seems very reasonable for a large device like I have.)
nightshadow
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by nightshadow »

@ eddie32818:
Are you sure you've checked your "power widget" or "useful switchers" (what mine has) to check the Silent Mode setting?

Puzzled here, :? power widget, usefull switchers, silent mode settings??? :?: :?: Were are these to be found? So, no, I haven't checked obviously.
Remember that untill last week I have never played around with the Archos, I'm a complete noob here. (husband bought it as sort of Ipod, didn't get it to work and forgot about it for nearly 2 years and then gave it to me to 'look' at it).

@ Gary L. Brown:
If you don't need it, want it, etc... you might want to think about getting it fixed and giving it as a present to someone you know, who doesn't have anything like this... that's what I'd likely do.
What a lovely idea!

If you decide to just dispose of it, I recommend seeing if there's anyone here who might want to buy it (for parts if for no other reason). Some Archos parts are VERY hard to come by... and the screen, alone, is worth more than the "repair cost" you've been quoted.
That's also a possibility, not as nice as the one you named first, but I'll keep it in mind.

But maybe, in a few months my eldest son will be able to repair it, the way you referred to on some sort of wiki page. (I have bookmarked it, but forgot the name)
He is going to start doing ICT school (here I don't know how to name it) and this kind of stuff he will be learning to do.

About your preference to Archos: I thought so myself as I noticed the large amount of GB. That's certainly a point that counts.

Return to “Archos 5 Internet Tablet with Android”