A5 500GB Locking Up

Archos Android Tablet available now 8GB ($189), 16GB ($229), 32GB ($258), 160GB ($310), 500GB ($349)
JR4
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

A5 500GB Locking Up

Post by JR4 »

Bought my unit about 2 years ago... more or less gave up on it after awhile due to problems with it when syncing with MediaMonkey, number of songs limitations, etc. Have used it on and off but not much. Decided to spend some more time with it and see what I can do. But I've noticed recently that it would randomly lock up during music playback - with no "pattern" to it... locks up after 5 songs, 12 songs, 20 songs... and locks up on different songs. Spent time with "Live Chat" customer support today.., ended up with a do a reformat and a reinstall of 2.0.45. So I dumped about 100 or so songs on it and tried it. Wanna guess what happened during playback of the 5th or 6th song? And then after resetting it and trying again, during the 8th song? Then after yet another reset, during the 10th or so song? Yeah... you got it!! Locked up tighter than a drum! This is unbelievable. Oh, and customer support wanted to set up an RMA... since I am out of warranty, it will be $245. Ummmm, noooo thanx!! I came across a couple of "lock up" posts this weekend, but nothing that would seem to help. Still looking but figured I would post this to see what I can come up with from the userbase. Thank you very much in advance!

.jim.
Agj_h
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Re: A5 500GB Locking Up

Post by Agj_h »

Issue is probably with corrupt file (unless it's hardware related). Seen some instances on this forum where same symptoms caused by a corrupt file. As a suggestion - remove the music again and replace just a small portion. See what happens.
Andrew
500gb a5a
G9 80 16gb 4.0.28
eddie32818
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by eddie32818 »

JR4 wrote:Bought my unit about 2 years ago... more or less gave up on it after awhile due to problems with it when syncing with MediaMonkey, number of songs limitations, etc. Have used it on and off but not much. Decided to spend some more time with it and see what I can do. But I've noticed recently that it would randomly lock up during music playback - with no "pattern" to it... locks up after 5 songs, 12 songs, 20 songs... and locks up on different songs. Spent time with "Live Chat" customer support today.., ended up with a do a reformat and a reinstall of 2.0.45. So I dumped about 100 or so songs on it and tried it. Wanna guess what happened during playback of the 5th or 6th song? And then after resetting it and trying again, during the 8th song? Then after yet another reset, during the 10th or so song? Yeah... you got it!! Locked up tighter than a drum! This is unbelievable. Oh, and customer support wanted to set up an RMA... since I am out of warranty, it will be $245. Ummmm, noooo thanx!! I came across a couple of "lock up" posts this weekend, but nothing that would seem to help. Still looking but figured I would post this to see what I can come up with from the userbase. Thank you very much in advance!

.jim.
If by lockups, you meant non responsive touch screen,
then did you try disabling the LCD display timeout?

I had problems during playback, especially when I could not come out of the LCD timeout (touch screen stopped working). I ended up installing an app called Wake Locks, which I enabled the setting that ran the CPU, always ON. With this and the Archos LCD timeout set to one minute, I got rid of those annoying lockups during playback. Only drawback is the WakeLock setting to CPU full ON is a battery killer, if forget to shut either the setting or the Archos OFF, after you finish listening to music.

**** edit ****

Sorry, it's actually called Wake Timer and here is a link to the APK file here:
http://www.androidpit.com/en/android/ma ... /WakeTimer
605wifi 160gb / 5it 500gb
JR4
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by JR4 »

Thanx for the replies! :)

Andrew - it's not the files. They are fine - I have been doing what you suggested: just putting a "small" amount of files on there - and all songs that I know are good - they play fine on the laptop, etc. And sometimes will play fine on the A5 and at other times lock up. As I said, there is no pattern (obvious to me, anyways) to the lockups.

Eddie - I will try the wake lock app... once I can figure what else has gone wrong. When I try to run AppsLib now, it says:
"You should set your default date to 20 June 2010, else you cannot use AppsLib."

I downloaded Google Play Store app on laptop, dropped it in downloads folder on the A5, and tried to run install it but that tells me:
"Parse Error: There is a problem parsing the package."

ARRRRGGGHHHHHHHH!!! Methinks I may load all my music onto the 3 iPods I have and carry them around!!! LOL!!!
JR4
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by JR4 »

So I went set my time and date to June 20, 2010 and can now access the market... still trying to figure out what the scoop is there. But I did get my hands on Wake Timer. I set it for CPU on and screen off. And what do ya know??? It's been playing for an hour now... and has only used about 10% of my battery. So, so far , so good... but I still wonder what the problem is with the A5 that we need an app like this to prevent a problem that should not exist. Oh, well... keep on digging. :)

Any other thoughts, ideas, suggestions, etc. are more than welcome

THANX AGAIN!!
eddie32818
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by eddie32818 »

JR4 wrote:Any other thoughts, ideas, suggestions, etc. are more than welcome
Glad you got it solved with this work-around. I find it better to power off the Archos completely when I finish with it so that the Waketimer program doesn't kill the battery. Learned this after leaving in on, forgetting that it does not go into standby while the CPU is full on.

This problem (non responsive touch screen during playback, while in LCD timeout mode) seems to be a bug that won't be fixed, as Archos has stopped all firmware development on gen7 stuff.

Still, despite the hoops I gotta go though, I still like the gadget!
605wifi 160gb / 5it 500gb
Cary L. Brown
Archos User
Archos User

Post by Cary L. Brown »

JR4 wrote:So I went set my time and date to June 20, 2010 and can now access the market... still trying to figure out what the scoop is there. But I did get my hands on Wake Timer. I set it for CPU on and screen off. And what do ya know??? It's been playing for an hour now... and has only used about 10% of my battery. So, so far , so good... but I still wonder what the problem is with the A5 that we need an app like this to prevent a problem that should not exist. Oh, well... keep on digging. :)

Any other thoughts, ideas, suggestions, etc. are more than welcome

THANX AGAIN!!
Now, that's interesting.

Have you gone into the "settings" menu on your device and looked at the "what's using my battery" function? Does it show the screen as the biggest power-draw? Mine always does. And second, on my power-draw list, is always the wireless mode.

So... I leave mine on the dimmest screen setting, unless I'm using it in-car (and powered)... that helps power draw a fair amount. I also have it set up to auto-turn-off the display after a few minutes of use, unless I'm doing 'net browsing. (You can also turn off the display by pressing the power button for a short period... not so long as to bring up the "shut it down" menu, of course.

And if I'm not using my networking, I turn it off, always. (I'm using the screen widget to do this, so it's just a matter of tapping the right on-screen button to turn these things on and off).

Having the screen always on, and on the brightest setting, AND having networking running (even when you're not using it) is, by far, the biggest power-hog on MY A5IT, and I suspect its the same on yours.

Sure sounds that way, from what you just said, anyway.
JR4
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by JR4 »

I will check soon. Right now I am on a mission to find out if there is still a problem with the ARCLibrary limitation or if it has been fixed. Once I hit about 30,000-35,000 songs, all bets are off.... :( Search for more info in my previous posts, whinch include traffic between myself and Archos technical support - of TWO years ago.... LOL!!

Or look here:
http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.p ... 81#p249581

A snippet:
Archos Support wrote:
It is actually a limitation with the Linux based portion of the Operating System.

So I need to find a better Droid-based music player that will work off of the files placed in the A5 filesystem, as opposed to using the ARCLibrary.

Then it's off to find an easy way to sync. I used MediaMonkey as I like the features better than iTunes. But when it syncs, it basically copies all selected files, instead of checking to see if there are any changes and only copying out the changes (unless I am really missing the boat in using MM somehow). :)
Cary L. Brown
Archos User
Archos User

Post by Cary L. Brown »

The library size limitation is based upon the size of the index database entry. The only way to "fix" that would be to totally re-write the database code... something I don't believe they're likely to do, and possibly something they're not able to do (ie, it might be something that's part of the Android OS, rather than the Archos OS, section?).

The library size limitation is not going to go away anytime soon. The "Open" team (see another forum on this site) might have solved that, but Archos isn't ever going to... not on this device, anyway.
jamie41
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by jamie41 »

JR4 wrote:I will check soon. Right now I am on a mission to find out if there is still a problem with the ARCLibrary limitation or if it has been fixed. Once I hit about 30,000-35,000 songs, all bets are off.... :( Search for more info in my previous posts, whinch include traffic between myself and Archos technical support - of TWO years ago.... LOL!!

Or look here:
http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.p ... 81#p249581

A snippet:
Archos Support wrote:
It is actually a limitation with the Linux based portion of the Operating System.

So I need to find a better Droid-based music player that will work off of the files placed in the A5 filesystem, as opposed to using the ARCLibrary.

Then it's off to find an easy way to sync. I used MediaMonkey as I like the features better than iTunes. But when it syncs, it basically copies all selected files, instead of checking to see if there are any changes and only copying out the changes (unless I am really missing the boat in using MM somehow). :)
Use this music player http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=52515
rfs
Archos User
Archos User

Post by rfs »

With the last firmware update Archos almost doubled the database size to 65K - see the post on the 1.9.34/2.0.45 update. I am running 1.9.34 and have 62187 titles in my music library.
A5A 500GB owner
Cary L. Brown
Archos User
Archos User

Post by Cary L. Brown »

Back to the topic of lock-ups...

My unit occasionally does this and more frequently will just reset itself. This most often happens when web-browsing. The reboot is how the archos device responds to receiving "illegal instructions" it seems. If the Archos doesn't recognize the illegal instruction, it may just... HANG.

This always happens one the same media files (usually corrupted files) or on websites with a lot of "active content" trying to run programs without your knowledge or interaction.

Return to “Archos 5 Internet Tablet with Android”