Is it possible to back up playlists?

Archos Android Tablet available now 8GB ($189), 16GB ($229), 32GB ($258), 160GB ($310), 500GB ($349)
D3MeNTia
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Is it possible to back up playlists?

Post by D3MeNTia »

Ive created a playlist with my favourite songs. Theres about 600 songs on it and I painfully had to go through every album picking out the tracks. Took hours. Is there a way to back this up so I dont have to go through this again?

The obvious solution is to copy all the tracks to a single folder and play that folder but that means if I play an album and there is a track from that folder in it the track will be listed twice in the album so this is no use.

If I try and copy the playlist file anywhere else it doesnt copy the playlist attached to the file. I even tried opening the playlist file with notepad to see if theres a text code as part of the file that I could copy but there was nothing.

Ideally I want a copy of the playlist external to my Archos so if I have to reset it i dont have to pick through all the songs again. Anyone know a solution?

Cheers
Cary L. Brown
Archos User
Archos User

Re: Is it possible to back up playlists?

Post by Cary L. Brown »

A playlist is just a file you create. If you've played around much with your Archos, you'll have noticed that there's a file browser application pre-installed. This is EXTREMELY useful, and you should have seen it by now.

Use this to look at the contents of your system hard drive (whether you have the flash or the physical hard drive version, it will be treated much the same).

You will find a folder named "playlists" at the root level of the hard drive. Inside of that folder, you'll find all playlists on your device. These are simply files.

You can back up the playlist file to another location on your device, make a copy of one (renaming it of course), or transfer that playlist file out to an external device, through any of a large number of methods, but most typically through the USB cable to your PC.

I've never seen a 600+ song "playlist" before... but if that's what you want, by all means, back it up!

I've done this before and it's worked very well. I'm not sure what you mean when you say that it won't copy.
D3MeNTia
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Re: Is it possible to back up playlists?

Post by D3MeNTia »

I tried using the archos' file manager instead of going through windows to copy the playlist and it still didnt work. When I copy a playlist it just copies the file without the actual playlist. When I open the copy it has no tracks attached to it, its just a blank playlist, same problem as before. When you did it did you then try and open the copied playlists and did they work?

Is there more than 1 type of playlist then? Ive created 1 that doesnt copy but is there another way to create a playlist that does? I connected the archos to my computer, opened it with windows, right clicked on a track then hit create playlist. It created a new playlist in the same folder with just that track listed, then I moved the playlist to the playlist folder, renamed it and added all the tracks I wanted. But this type (.PLA extn) doesnt like being copied. Is there a better way to create playlists that you can copy?

Return to “Archos 5 Internet Tablet with Android”