Getting auxiliary output from external speakers

Archos Android Tablet available now 8GB ($189), 16GB ($229), 32GB ($258), 160GB ($310), 500GB ($349)
dhalgren99
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Getting auxiliary output from external speakers

Post by dhalgren99 »

I recently purchased an Archos 48 tablet 500GB. It works fine and I can get sound through the internal speakers but when I plug it into external speakers I don't get any sound at all. I saw the problem with the HDMI minidock (and don't have it plugged in) but when I plug an auxiliary cable into the device to connect to external speakers (I've tried two different kinds) the sound goes away and the equalizer settings only list the various types ("classic", "live", "etc") without any options to change the output. When I take the auxiliary cable out, the sound comes right back via the internal speaker. I have the latest firmware 2.0.45, if that helps. Do I have to mess with some other settings to get it to play through another speaker?
Agj_h
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Re: Getting auxiliary output from external speakers

Post by Agj_h »

So, you mean you are plugging a standard 3.5mm cable from the headphone socket of the 48 to the input of amplified speakers?
Andrew
500gb a5a
G9 80 16gb 4.0.28
jamie41
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by jamie41 »

Have you thought about bluetooth speakers? That's what I use.
dhalgren99
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by dhalgren99 »

Agj_H:
Yes, I've tried so far on a set of external speakers (plugging it into the input) and my CD player after setting it to receive auxiliary input. I do get sound via the headphones so I know it works at least.

Jamie41:
Is that a better option? I want to bring it into work and I already have a set of external speakers that I used for my iPod there but if that's more reliable I'd consider it. Any particular brand or model I should look into?

Thanks for the replies!
jamie41
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by jamie41 »

This is the one I use http://www.amazon.co.uk/B-Tube-Portable ... B000RY6TT0

It's not a major sound system, it's portable. But it works beautifully for me.

It also has an inbuilt microphone, so can be used as a hands free. And it has a 3.5mm input socket for use with non bluetooth devices.

Alternatively, as a cable connected solution at home, I have a 440W stereo "stage" speaker (custom designed for an electronic keyboard), to which I can attach any device via a 3.5mm male to 3.5mm male cable, using the Archos headphone socket. This gives a major sound, which is far too loud for a house.
Cary L. Brown
Archos User
Archos User

Post by Cary L. Brown »

"No sound" is a sort of vague comment... does this mean "very quiet" or does it mean "absolutely nothing?"

Any standard stereo plug should work just fine with an Archos 5IT. If it doesn't work... try another set of speakers. If you're getting sound from headphones, the issue is almost certainly with the speaker (or the speaker cable!) you're using.

In my own case, I have a set of iHome speakers, which I absolutely love. I put my Archos onto a battery-dock or mini-dock, plug the iHome speaker's "USB POWER" cord into the USB port on the dock, plug the speaker stereo plug into the Archos stereo jack, and it's like having a full stereo system. I LOVE the sound I get from these little iHome speakers... by far the best at this size range I've ever seen!

http://www.ihomeaudio.com/iHM79BC/

There are two drawbacks I've found to these, however...

1) Twice, I've personally seen the right-channel speaker in one of these speaker sets stop working after being put through an airport "magnetometer" station. If you travel with them, don't carry them in your carry-on, put them into your checked baggage. Not sure what it is that failed, but at least I know iHome knows about the issue, and (hopefully) has addressed it with a design revision.

2) These use a small rechargable battery. Eventually, as with all batteries, this will stop taking a charge. The device can be disassembled and reassembled easily enough, if you have fine tools, and a new battery can be installed, but it's not a trivial operation... roughly akin to replacing the battery in an Archos, except there are two speakers, so you'll need two of the little batteries.

Those two drawbacks aren't enough to make me not recommend these, though. They're GREAT, and perfectly paired to my Archos.. or, for that matter, to my netbook. In either case, they give me great sound through the provided "headphone jack."

I suspect that your problem is not with the Archos, but with the speaker set you're trying to use. The Archos headphone jack is only there to work with headphones, so if you use external speakers, they need to be designed specifically to work on a headphone jack (as opposed to a "line out" jack or a "speaker" jack, like, say, most computer sound cards have).

Return to “Archos 5 Internet Tablet with Android”