Finally a battery replacement for the A5 with android

Archos Android Tablet available now 8GB ($189), 16GB ($229), 32GB ($258), 160GB ($310), 500GB ($349)
zandoli
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Re: Finally a battery replacement for the A5 with android

Post by zandoli »

I paid the HazMat fee but was refunded. BatterySpace advised via email:

This is refund transaction ID for your HZ fee. On your order, This is the single cell, this is ok to ship out without HZ fee.

Thank you!

Cheyenne Cheung

so single cells are exempt!
I shipped to an address in the US so I do not know policy for international shipping.
8+32GB A101S-V5(T1) OMAP4460 ES1.1
rokky
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by rokky »

Interesting about the HazMat fees: do they apply to devices that contain the batteries?
zandoli
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by zandoli »

rokky wrote:Interesting about the HazMat fees: do they apply to devices that contain the batteries?

I do not think so because the battery is already contained properly in that device.

I received the replacement battery and solder equipment yesterday.

I will be using this week and next to watch youtube tutorials and practice soldering on an old motherboard before replacing battery. lol

Fingers crossed.
zcream
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by zcream »

The battery seems to be a standard 2c 3.7v 2800mah. Has anyone tried another one off ebay ?
Here is the chinese supplier
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/38400 ... 00mAh.html

Here is the item on amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Polymer-Li-Ion-Ce ... B0058PQY7A
zandoli
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by zandoli »

Battery replacement complete.
It shows that it is charging and I have booted up successfully.

I'm thinking that the task went well.
It took me about 2 hrs.
I am still a noob.

De-soldering took quite some time because I do not have a solder vacuum and used a wick instead. I am really thinking the vacuum would have been quicker and worked better.

I removed the charging PCB fully, but in hindsight I think just removing the battery connectors and then soldering that of the new battery would have worked well.

I had to remove three rubber pads on the top edge of A5IT, and also pull down the side flap of battery (side which was closer to the motherboard) under the motherboard, to make the battery fit properly.

I lost my solder 'cherry' and I feel really good!
pray59
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by pray59 »

I'm going to order one up for spare, and bookmark this thread for when mine goes out. I use it a lot for running trains at the club, so I cycle the battery about 2 times a week. Thanks for the tips!

-Robert
zandoli
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by zandoli »

My A5IT was about 18 months of almost everyday use and charging.

Hope this thread helps you and others.
niceguy
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by niceguy »

Nice to know I helped out, can someone help me unlock HD playback.
catsailor
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by catsailor »

I was having similar problems, shortened battery cycle, warm to touch, bulge (which I first noticed as being difficult to install in the windshield mount), then I found this forum/subject...yeah!!! So I checked the link for the replacement battery, and the other link for the method to open the case, and measured my battery to confirm fit before buying. The 4358 is specified as 86mm x 50.5mm x 6mm, not including the length of the tabs (add 10 mm, though I suppose they could be trimmed) and PP membrane (add another 2.5 mm), (for total length of 98.5 mm). The battery in my 16 GB flash A5A is only 83mm x 46 mm x 6mm with the charge/discharge protection PCB occupying another 5mm of length (for a total of 88mm). It appears that niceguy has a hard drive model, which may have more room than the flash drive models. Or is the battery smaller than the spec sheet says? I found another battery, same source, Item 4355, http://www.batteryspace.com/polymerli-i ... thpcb.aspx, which appears to be the 4358 with protection PCB already installed, (and is about $2 cheaper). It is said to be only 85mm x 50mm x 6mm. If the 85mm includes the PCB, the length would fit, but no way to fit that width in mine. Can anyone confirm the dimensions of the 4358 or 4355, and that it will fit in a flash drive model? If not, has anyone found one that will fit in the flash drive model?
Another thing: It appears that the protection PCB included with the 4355 has only two connection points to the device in which it is installed, but the A5A appears to have three, so I'm not sure their PCB wold work properly with the A5A. Does anyone know?
Thirdly, while attempting to close my A5A up after working on it, the 'on/off' button apparently slid into it's 'pressed' position and the actual 'on/off' switch got hung up on the button and was snapped off. It is very tiny and a surface mount device, which I have not worked with. Looks difficult to put back together. I found a local battery store (Interstate) which says they may be able to repair it. So be careful.
Finally, when I first opened the case, there was a little metal box, about 12mm x 10.5mm x 2mm, one of the larger sides open, loose inside an other wise empty space of about 30mm x 25mm x 4 mm, under the lower right corner of the screen. It appears that it may have been attached to a sticky piece of plastic/tape. Does anyone know what that is, and how and to what it should be attached?
minefield
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by minefield »

has anybody got the same issue as i do ?
after 2yrs+ of using, i am assuming that my A5IT's battery has dying eventually (it always quickly discharge, from 100% to a level of stable juice approx. at 50% in less than 15 mins. ) so i decided to bought a new battery as mentioned here.
i swap my old battery with the new one, with a help by an electronic repairman. but then we found out that the overcharge protector PCB didn't work (no current charge came out from it, although the battery runs fine), so i decide to not using it and just install the new battery. it works well, but apparently when i try to charge it, instead of charging the battery just DISCHARGE itself and drain the juice out.
so today i bought it to the new repairman and try to install the overcharge protector to the new battery. the result still the same, i can't use the protector pcb, no current charge came out from it, but then we found out that the old battery of mine still in great condition (i assume the overcharge protector itself that broken then). so i reinstall the old battery, try it out with protector pcb first. still no luck, the pcb can not transfer the juice (strange because it works before with the old one). so i tried to install it directly as i did before with my new one.
and then the issue came back, instead of charging it, the charging process eventually just discharge itself. now i got two battery ran out of juice without a possibility to charge it :((
anybody can tell me what's wrong with this ? did i miss the step, or maybe somebody can figure it out ? any help would be appreciated *so confuse
PeterS
Archos User
Archos User

Post by PeterS »

Just went to order that battery - $70 odd shipping for UK! Need to find a UK supplier.
niceguy
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by niceguy »

minefield wrote:has anybody got the same issue as i do ?
after 2yrs+ of using, i am assuming that my A5IT's battery has dying eventually (it always quickly discharge, from 100% to a level of stable juice approx. at 50% in less than 15 mins. ) so i decided to bought a new battery as mentioned here.
i swap my old battery with the new one, with a help by an electronic repairman. but then we found out that the overcharge protector PCB didn't work (no current charge came out from it, although the battery runs fine), so i decide to not using it and just install the new battery. it works well, but apparently when i try to charge it, instead of charging the battery just DISCHARGE itself and drain the juice out.
so today i bought it to the new repairman and try to install the overcharge protector to the new battery. the result still the same, i can't use the protector pcb, no current charge came out from it, but then we found out that the old battery of mine still in great condition (i assume the overcharge protector itself that broken then). so i reinstall the old battery, try it out with protector pcb first. still no luck, the pcb can not transfer the juice (strange because it works before with the old one). so i tried to install it directly as i did before with my new one.
and then the issue came back, instead of charging it, the charging process eventually just discharge itself. now i got two battery ran out of juice without a possibility to charge it :((
anybody can tell me what's wrong with this ? did i miss the step, or maybe somebody can figure it out ? any help would be appreciated *so confuse

I am sure you or who ever you got to do the battery change damaged the battery pcb. If it is damaged your only solution is to buy the battery I pointed everyone to and this replacement pcb http://www.all-battery.com/protectionci ... pcb1s.aspx or http://www.batteryspace.com/PCB-for-3.7 ... limit.aspx

If adapting these replacements is beyond you than you are screwed, buy a archos 48 and part the old one out.

Seriously guys a little help with unlocking the hd plugin
PeterS
Archos User
Archos User

Post by PeterS »

Or if you're in the UK - HMV are knocking out Archos 101's (8Gb) for £129! That's what I've done - not sure if I like the bigger size yet.

Update - it says 8gb on the box but it's the 16gb version!
Last edited by PeterS on Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
TomCat39
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by TomCat39 »

niceguy wrote:Seriously guys a little help with unlocking the hd plugin

There is no help for the HD plugin, they are sold to device serial numbers. Someone elses plugin will not install on your device.

You have to buy it like everyone else has.
audionutmike
Archos User
Archos User

Post by audionutmike »

Just got my battery in, but compared to the original it is too fat. If I cut the edge of the foil from the new one and remove the rubber bumpers from the unit it might just fit. Did anybody else run across this? BTW mine is the 32gb.

Thanks
zandoli
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by zandoli »

I had to remove three rubber pads on the top edge of A5IT, and also pull down the side flap of battery (side which was closer to the motherboard) under the motherboard, to make the battery fit properly.
audionutmike
Archos User
Archos User

Post by audionutmike »

Thanks zandoli, I like to overlook the small details! LOL I got it exchanged in about 20 mins and working great. Charges, trickle charges and doesn't get hot enough to fry eggs.
zandoli
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by zandoli »

It was actually my first solder project.
Turned out well I must say. :lol:
audionutmike
Archos User
Archos User

Post by audionutmike »

so having spent a few days with my new battery I must say, this thing dies super fast. I actually have less up time with my new battery than I did with my old one. the only good thing is it doesn't turn the A5 or the charger hot when charging, but I'm disappointed in the battery life. Anybody else experiencing this?
audionutmike
Archos User
Archos User

Post by audionutmike »

So for the 2nd day in a row my A5's battery was below 15% after being fully charged before going to bed. I just opened it up and the battery appears to be swelling and has liquid under the foil pack. Bummer. Just email about getting a replacement. Will see what happens.

Return to “Archos 5 Internet Tablet with Android”