Archos and DVR snap-on

Archos Android Tablet available now 8GB ($189), 16GB ($229), 32GB ($258), 160GB ($310), 500GB ($349)
deekay
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Archos and DVR snap-on

Post by deekay »

Hi,

I┬┤ve read most of this section of the forum, but was unable to find an answer to my question:

Does the DVR Snap-on (stated as: Archos 5, Archos 5G, Archos 7) work with the 5TI? Some say it does, but I have no proof of that so far. And since I have negative expirience with Archos accesories compatibility, I┬┤d rather ask first.

It┬┤s this one:

And the picture of old Archos 5 with linux is on the cover.

The Snap-on brings a Analog Video Coax and stereo audio inputs, enabling the archos to record from external video source (in my case, Dogcam 520 bullet camera, for car stunts, bikers etc.). This function is worth every problem with this device, since any video recorder of this size, is about 300 euro and up and it can┬┤t do anything else.

I had the 406 with an different aftermarket Snap on (the original was discontinued) and the damn thing did not record color from the POV bullet camera.

Thanks for any advice
Sorry if there┬┤sany duplicity caused by this thread

Yours
D.K.
Archos 5 IT, 16GB, DVR snap on
paulus3476
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Re: Archos and DVR snap-on

Post by paulus3476 »

Yes, it works perfectly
deekay
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by deekay »

Thanks very much for clearing this matter for me ;)
SWDT
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by SWDT »

May aswell continue this topic - I've connected my DVR Snap On to the TV and I'm still getting the little Archos/TV error pic when I go to record, the one when the cable isn't connected.

I assume you put the red, white and yellow leads into the TV, a long time since I used this.
enthalpy
Archos User
Archos User

Post by enthalpy »

I'll try to answer, even though I don't have the snap-on (I have the bigger one, the DVR dock).

You put the red/white/yellow cables into the TV to watch what you have already recorded.

To make a recording, you have to connect the cables to a video source. That might be a TV, if it has video-out. Usually though, the video source would be your cable TV box.
A5A 16GB,BT kbd,DVRdock..A101 RMA'd
cotily03
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by cotily03 »

Does the AC have to be plugged in for this to work?
Also, does the screen show what is being recorded?

Wondering if I could hook a rearview camera up in my vehicle with this dock and the camera show up on the screen...

Thoughts???
deekay
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by deekay »

No, it can be powered by the archos battery without a problem and yes it does show what┬┤s being recorded.
As for the parking camera: I assume that it┬┤ll work. It should work with any kind of camera that has standard coaxial output (parking cameras, POV cameras, TV, VCR, still cameras, video cameras etc.)
Just connect them together. That┬┤s it :)

But I wouldn┬┤t recomend the archos as a rerview camera for pure practical resons:
-You have to connect everything everytime you sit in the car (I┬┤m quite annoyed when I have to take the radio front panel off, I can┬┤t imagine fidling with the archos...)
-I woudn┬┤t leave Archos in the car, someone with a brick could quite like it :D
-You can┬┤t automatize the process of activating the camera
Although, having a multimedia device like that ina car would be nice, but it┬┤s better if it┬┤s integrated.

IMO, rearview cameras have a very unrealistic view, since they have to be very wide-angled. This means, your perception of distance is absolutely different. And this was the same on both cars I drove (well, no too many had rear view cameras, only the Lexus RX400 and Mercedes ML).
What I┬┤m saying is that what looks like 1 meter on the camera is 10cm in real. My aunt managed to back into her husband┬┤s car, even with (or maybe due to) a rear view camera. And it┬┤s not nice, seeing a towbar relief on the front of your 911 :D

If you still want the display, I┬┤d pick something from here:
http://www.buyincoins.com/search--parking----1.html

It┬┤s a chineese store, their prices are unbelievably low and the shipping is free (although the shipping can take up to 3 weeks)
cotily03
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by cotily03 »

Thanks VERY much the prompt and thorough post.
The backup would be just a bonus... Would only use on occasion...
Main use would be multimedia in vehicle and GPS on occasion. Looks like the GPS issues have been mainly ironed out.
Found these units on sale for $129 so trying to see if it will do what I want it to do before I buy it.
I have a 10" android tablet and am using to modding them so I may go ahead and try it...
whats the worst that could happen? My daughter gets another toy!
deekay
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by deekay »

In that case, good luck an have fun ;)
I┬┤m also just starting to expirience this device and it┬┤s also my first android device.
So far ok, but one thing that┬┤s really starting to get on my nerves is the 138MB app space limit. That┬┤s just stupid... on a 16GB device. I know it┬┤s android┬┤s fault, but why a friggin dinosaur Symbian can do better in this matter? :(
cotily03
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by cotily03 »

When you say 138MB app space, does that mean I won't be able to get my navigon andriod app on this device? It is a huge file...
Thanks
deekay
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by deekay »

You will be able to use your navigation (don┬┤t know about the Navigon though; NDRIVE is ok, COPILOT is ok -that┬┤s what I use, CYGIC is ok, but haven┬┤t heard about anybody with Navigon yet). It┬┤s only space for application itself. Not the maps and other data that aplications store. But for example, I can┬┤t install Angry birds and Raging thunder 2 lite at once, because at the moment, I only have 14MB of free app memory (it┬┤s a seperate partition, that you can┬┤t access directly, or make it bigger). You can (and should) install some application that can show you free space on that partition (FreeSpace fpr example). You can install it from Android market. If you don┬┤t yet have android market enabled yet, check this thread: http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=29833
Space for storage (video, music, flash games...) is only restricted by your internal memory and SD card size.
I┬┤ve read about some ways to make the app partition bigger, but unfortunately, there┬┤s no way to do that on Android 1.6, only on the newer ones. You can put a new version of android on archos, but you will lose warranty and most probably loose the video recording capability...which is the MAIN function of the archos for me. So catch 22 really :)

BTW, if you have trouble getting the signal on the GPS for the first time, check this thread out: http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=53871
jamie41
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by jamie41 »

cotily03 wrote:When you say 138MB app space, does that mean I won't be able to get my navigon andriod app on this device? It is a huge file...
Thanks
You need to define "huge". One thing to note, is that you may need, temporarily for installation, about double the size of the application, while the app is being installed. This is common.

Return to “Archos 5 Internet Tablet with Android”