Accessing Archos 5 Files

Archos Android Tablet available now 8GB ($189), 16GB ($229), 32GB ($258), 160GB ($310), 500GB ($349)
DrivenInsaneByArchos
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Accessing Archos 5 Files

Post by DrivenInsaneByArchos »

Recently, I have dropped my Archos 5 Internet Tablet, thus cracking the LCD screen. Now, I was wondering if there was a way to access the files, due to the only fact that the screen displays cracks and white lights. It still turns on with ease, though there is zero display. There is no internal damage, just the screen itself. I have learned my lesson to go with better and durable products the next time I shop for a multimedia device with WiFi and an Android market. Nevertheless, I need help accessing the files via some form of access. There are critical information contained on this device, along with memorable photos and rare music you won't usually find on iTunes and Youtube. Help please, there has to be some kind of way! Thanks!
Psycogeek
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Re: Accessing Archos 5 Files

Post by Psycogeek »

well it is not a capactive screen, so the "digitiser" on the top of the screen would still take input commands unless the breakage is such that it would flex the "touch Screen"
so just like before you could connect the computer in the last connection mode you were in, and guess where the mount button is located.

in the same sence you could hook up one of the docks, connect to the tv, and guess where the "switch now" button is.

if the broken screen is pushing on the top layers where the digitiser is, the location of the touches might be off by miles, or already touching , because of the broken one pushing up against it. if it is already touching, then you would have to open the case up enough to get the digitiser pannel free of the lcd pannel, then the digitiser will start taking touch again.
- Sig -
Neubie, help me Obiwan!
enthalpy
Archos User
Archos User

Post by enthalpy »

There are several ways to access the files. My preferred way is to connect a USB cable from my Linux computer. The A5A automounts, I browse the files. From your description, I assume the USB connector still works.

Do you have Linux? Do you have a Windows computer? If you only have Windows you need the ext3 file system driver.
A5A 16GB,BT kbd,DVRdock..A101 RMA'd
DrivenInsaneByArchos
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by DrivenInsaneByArchos »

@psyco: The screen does NOT respond whatsoever.
@enthalpy: I have at least 6 Windows computers I have access to. No Linux :/..

Return to “Archos 5 Internet Tablet with Android”