Archos 2.0.38 & 2.0.45 fw with system r/w & apps2sd

Archos Android Tablet available now 8GB ($189), 16GB ($229), 32GB ($258), 160GB ($310), 500GB ($349)
drellisdee
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Archos 2.0.38 & 2.0.45 fw with system r/w & apps2sd

Post by drellisdee »

I am very disapointed with archos dropping support of the a5it without a froyo update. Now that its a end-of-life model I'm going to upload a modified 2.0.38 fw. I have used the openaos froyo version and and quite impressed by it however I miss the avos stuff from it.

Included in this fw:
Openaos kernel base and intramfs base so will be compatible with angstrom, openaos froyo, & archos donut. (thanks openaos)

Requires openoas multi-root boot

Changes to kernel:
Included support for ext4 fs
Ported aufs fs into kernel
Selected all other available cpu governers.

Changes to fw 2.0.38
Added full chainsdd su & superuser.apk on /system
Added darktremor apps2sd (this is optional and requires a sdcard with an ext3 second primary partition)
/System is full read and write using aufs filesystem
Changes to init.rc to support the above and avos_helper.sh to support proper shutdown of aufs.

Notes on aufs
aufs is a unionfs type filesystem (google aufs2 for more info)
/mnt/system is used by archos /dev/block/sda2 for archos proprietary stuff.
I have system overlay mounted to /mnt/system/sysrw using aufs. This will allow changes to /system to be persistant.
All changes & modifications to /system files will actually be in /mnt/system/sysrw and files deleted from /system will have a whiteout marker placed on them in aufs and to get them back simply delete the file from /mnt/system/sysrw and it will revert to the one on the real /system on the cramfs.

I have a flash archos 5it but the aufs /system should work on both flash and hard drive archos.

Notes on darktremor apps2sd:
This is optional and will only be used if a second primary ext3 filesystem is found on the sdcard. (sorry hard drive users)

Easiest way to format micro sdcard is to use a usb card reader and under linux using g-parted (live boot cd is fine).

1. 1st backup contents of sdcard (better safe than sorry).
2. use g-parted to shrink the fat32 partition to have 512mb remaining free space at the end.
3. create a new PRIMARY ext3 partition in the newly created 512mb free space.

Note had a user state he had issues with gapps and market downloads. I recommend setting up gapps and getting market working on stock archos fw prior to flashing this and you shouldn't have any trouble with it.

To install
1. Download the archos5it_apps2sd_system_rw.tar.gz and extract.
2. Copy the Zimage & intramfs.cpio.gz to the root of the archos's main storage and the entire update folder into the openaos folder.
3. Unmount the device cleanly.
4. Power off
5. Boot device holding power + vol down
6. Select developer menu and flash kernel and intramfs
7. Reboot and select archos and enjoy (will take several minutes to reboot).

version 2 Updated post with download from a few posts below to fix bootloops some devices got.

/archos5it_aufs_system_apps2sd.tar.gz
md5sum is a6a9f989147c4ca51dbc8ba57f86dfb5
Last edited by drellisdee on Thu May 12, 2011 12:52 pm, edited 4 times in total.
li8w8
Archos User
Archos User

Re: Archos 2.0.38 fw with system r/w & apps2sd

Post by li8w8 »

im about to test it
but i cant get archos in bootmenu

adding it to menu.lst manualy doesnt help either.

any solution (bootmenu is showing up!)
drellisdee
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by drellisdee »

Ok follow the guide here replacing those ie. Zimage, initramfs, and android.cramfs.secure with ones downloaded. I wrote guide assuming dual or triple boot with stock archos fw already setup. Upon the inital directions the first time you update the archos fw it will create the archos menu entry. You will need the /cramfs & /system folder from an unpacked aos fw. Just swap the android.cramfs.secure with mine after installing kernel and initramfs of course.

http://dev.openaos.org/wiki/SettingUpMultiRootGen7
wewewi
Archos User
Archos User

Post by wewewi »

Hmm..

Do I need to say it looks a bit too amazing to be true? Who the **** are you anyway? Never saw you hanging around OpenAOS...

Let me set the record straight;

You're using a filesystem I never heard of (not that I'm supposed to know everything) to mount a modified /system. -- Ok, that sounds kinda like Shotokan's root.

But, yours seems to be stable enough for everyday use. No need to toggle the trick on/off. -- All thanks to this union filesystem? well, ok...

Then, this allows us to use root along with multi-boot? While the Ubifs that was used up to this date by OpenAOS didnt supported it.. - Geeez, man ..that would be NEAT.

And I have a Hdd-unit, but your apps2sd description and instructions makes sense...

I'm totally buying it.. lets say on paper, but since you are kinda unknown around here, I would have appreciated some form of video proof...
I mean.. My mother always told me not to trust kernel updates from people I dont know!! ^^

--And she sure did a shitty job; I just tried on my 500gb unit; doenst work. Black screen, system process ForceClose and then Bootloop.

But, WE ARE WAITING FOR YOU ON OPEN AOS CHAT!! dm8tbr would be VERY interested in your sources;

Anytime you want!!!
li8w8
Archos User
Archos User

Post by li8w8 »

i got it to run =)

and its amazing!

working superuser requess

working bluetooth filetransfair and oc!

but i cant get apps2sd to work with my ssd model!

(8gb)

do i need to format the internal space instead of sdcard?) (archos mounts sdcard as a folder on internal storage!)
li8w8
Archos User
Archos User

Post by li8w8 »

i cant get google apps to work (as i cant sign in!) connection cant be established but wifi is up and running (can browse from a5it!)
li8w8
Archos User
Archos User

Post by li8w8 »

got gapps to work

but now even after reflash no download in market or applanet is working everyone is failing (before 1%)!
coppolla
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by coppolla »

use this command to get it app2sd working
http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_i ... 6790833326
but why we cant get it working in hdd without sdcard
drellisdee
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by drellisdee »

I'll try some fine tuning/testing in the next few days. I'll push aufs kernel source to my github tonight. And as far as who I am I'm used to working on msm based processors this is my 1st omap venture. My other name I'm known under is getitnowmarketing. A few things I've done in android world would be:
1. Made custom recoveries for Lg Ally, Lg Optimus One, Lg Optimus T, Lg Optimus S, Optimus V, Optimus M, Lg Vortex, Htc Incredible
2. Using Phh's patch for msm7201a as a base overclocked the msm7627 and msm7227 processor and also passed patch to palm pixi guys.
3. Built a working aosp Froyo pretty much months solo before official release from LG for LG ally.

I plan to help on honeycomb when sources drop.

My githubs are https://github.com/getitnowmarketing & https://github.com/allydev

Aufs commit is here https://github.com/getitnowmarketing/ar ... 4b491c0b50

You guys having trouble with market downloads try clearing the download cache at /mnt/system/cache

When I did it I did not clear data from the orginal archos fw. Data on ubifs is exactly the same as stock archos and I already had market & gapps installed and working.
Last edited by drellisdee on Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coppolla
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by coppolla »

do you have any projects for archos in the futur?????
your work is interesting and you can make it very interesting =D> =D>
just try to add swap and overclock archos if you building another build :idea: :idea:
:D
li8w8
Archos User
Archos User

Post by li8w8 »

now reverting to stock firmware =) apps2sd commands didnt help theys gave installed apps back (gr8 feature) but not ability to download sth!)

hope everythign works fine after begining from stock!

=)

can you include oc to 1ghz? -> 200mhz should be no problem today!
drellisdee
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by drellisdee »

coppolla wrote:do you have any projects for archos in the futur?????
your work is interesting and you can make it very interesting =D> =D>
just try to add swap and overclock archos if you building another build :idea: :idea:
:D
I looked at adding an overclock but I'm not very familar with omap processors. I figured out how to overclock the omap 3430 which we have on 2.6.29 + kernels but am unsure how to do it on our 2.6.27 kernel as the vdd setup is different.

To help me with HDD archos 5it can someone pastebin me the output of "df" & "mount" from adb shell please?
pcpal
Archos User
Archos User

Post by pcpal »

drellisdee wrote:I have used the openaos froyo version and and quite impressed by it however I miss the avos stuff from it.
Dose this mean that the Archos media player is not here?
Exactly what does this do? Does it alter the Froyo or the 2.0.38 on my multi-boot system?
li8w8
Archos User
Archos User

Post by li8w8 »

its a modified archos firmware
running donut (1.6)

you only need openaos multiboot to get extracted firmware to your device ;) we cant recompile till now ;)

you have full archos mediacenter in this firmware and full support everything is up and running ;)

except market downloads for me ;)

i recommend trying this!
sephhi
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by sephhi »

Ugh... now my archos is a brick. It keeps flashing between the android boot screen and the openaos screen. I tried re-flashing and that did not help. any ideas?
li8w8
Archos User
Archos User

Post by li8w8 »

go to reocvery mode

(holding vol - while pressing power button!)

and then format you disk ;)
when requested put official fw on a5it! and it'll remove openaos firmware should work again ;)

maybe becuase you have hddmodel(do you?)

did you have sdcard pluged in in a5it?
sephhi
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by sephhi »

I have the sd model. And yes I did have the sdcard in. So, I'll lose all my data then but this should work right?
sephhi
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by sephhi »

Is it possible that devo's root hack causes a problem? re-installing the stock firmware still boot loops so I'll try the format option next. Recovered...I managed to backup my data and the format option did the trick for me. Now, from the top lol.
wewewi
Archos User
Archos User

Post by wewewi »

Is it possible that devo's root hack causes a problem?
In fact devo's root (aka rootnow aka archosroot) doesnt work with openAOS multiboot facility. (ubifs not supported)

The trick is; this modified firmware includes a REAL root!! ^^

Just set up the multiboot, then update with with modified firmware. Simple as that.
drellisdee
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by drellisdee »

Use this one I fixed a small error that caused bootloops on some devices.

/archos5it_aufs_system_apps2sd.tar.gz
md5sum is a6a9f989147c4ca51dbc8ba57f86dfb5

To help me debug I need some info from archos users who no not have nand and do not use ubifs. To check from adb shell run the command 'mount' no quotes. If you dont have adb you can do it from terminal emulator on phone. Please run it on an archos fw.

Output will look something like:

Code: Select all

rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
ubi0:system on /mnt/nand_system type ubifs (rw)
/dev/loop0 on / type cramfs (ro)
tmpfs on /dev type tmpfs (rw,mode=755)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,mode=600)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs (rw,noatime)
ubi0:system on /mnt/nand_system type ubifs (rw,noatime)
ubi1:data on /data type ubifs (rw,noatime)
/dev/block/sda2 on /mnt/system type ext3 (rw,noatime,errors=continue,data=ordered)
none on /system type aufs (rw,si=640659b7)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
/dev/block//vold/8:1 on /storage type ext3 (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,noatime,nodiratime,fmode=0666,dmode=0777,errors=continue,data=ordered)
/dev/block//vold/179:1 on /storage/sdcard type vfat (rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,uid=1000,gid=1015,fmask=0000,dmask=0000,allow_utime=0022,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,utf8)
/dev/block/mmcblk0p2 on /system/sd type ext3 (rw,noatime,nodiratime,errors=continue,data=ordered)
tmpfs on /mnt/bitmaps type tmpfs (rw,size=1073741824k)
/dev/block/loop1 on /bitmap type cramfs (ro)
I need users who do not have the lines for system and data on filesystem type ubifs. Those users please report model and HDD size of your archos.
Last edited by drellisdee on Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Archos 5 Internet Tablet with Android”