Archos 5 Android multi-boot: Boot Menu

Archos Android Tablet available now 8GB ($189), 16GB ($229), 32GB ($258), 160GB ($310), 500GB ($349)
jimobrien
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Archos 5 Android multi-boot: Boot Menu

Post by jimobrien »

Hi ArchosFans,

There is not a lot of good threads on the multi-boot Menu setup on archosfans.com and IÔÇÖd like to start a thread helping out people like me with some knowledge, but canÔÇÖt quite get it working the way I want it.

I am new to posting in forums but I'm eager to learn. I have limited experience with ubuntu and linux in general. I am a college student but I have good knowledge of how this all works. I have installed the Archos Developer Driver on my Archos before, but I recently changed back to the original firmware and I'm now having problems like random restarts and freezing.

I have a Archos 5 Android 7502 160GB version and I am looking for information on what exactly the bootloader is and how it works.

If I'm not mistaken the Developer Edition Firmware provides a Boot Menu aka ÔÇ£bootloaderÔÇØ which can be edited in windows or linux through the menu.lst file.

Basically, I want to be able to have the Developer Edition Firmware installed with the Menu.lst set up so that I can boot into either Angstrom, the original firmware (firmware_archos5.aos), the alpha 5 froyo from openAOS (froyo_alpha5.img), or a .img file of another linux distro for testing.

I have started some of the code as follows:

Code: Select all

Donut 1.6|/dev/sda1|/firmware_archos5.aos|/init|0
FroYo|/dev/sda1|/openaos-froyo-alpha5a_20110119.img|/init|0
Angstrom Linux|/dev/sda1|/rootfs.img|/sbin/init|1
Ubuntu Netbook Test|/dev/sda1|/ubuntu-9.04-netbook-remix-i386.img|/init|1
Am I doing this right?

Should I root before doing the multi-boot setup? Or will it root itself?

Web Sources:

Easy ROOT:
http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=30884

OpenAOS wiki for setting up multi boot:
http://dev.openaos.org/wiki/SettingUpMultiRootGen7

More details on editing menu.lst:
http://dev.openaos.org/wiki/Android:%20 ... r%20device
wewewi
Archos User
Archos User

Re: Archos 5 Android multi-boot: Boot Menu

Post by wewewi »

Hi,

Nice to see someone with brains around here. Refreshing.

You got it right about the SDE/Bootloader thing. Most people doesnt and never will. It qualifies you for a comprehensive answer. = )

Code: Select all

Ubuntu Netbook Test|/dev/sda1|/ubuntu-9.04-netbook-remix-i386.img|/init|1
This code should be ok, though I have to admit I'm not 100% sure about that last /init|1 bit.
It calls for a specific framebuffer use, but I cant remember if it was intended only for this particular Angstrom distribution.
..So obviously my advice would be to try the other if the first one you try doesnt work.
-- Oh, and maybe it's useless, but I would keep a single word for the name.

That said, Ubuntu probably wont work "as is". Dont know if you optimized your img in any way, but you can get an idea of what Archos tweaked on the Angstrom standard distribution to get it working on A5IT on their site in the SDE section.

On the Root N multi-boot front, as far as I tested...

Rootnow DOESNT work with multi-boot. (Shocking, I know)

I had rootnow before SettingUpMultiRootGen7, but not anymore..

If I try to re-install it, I get a "not compatible with ubifs" message.
-Confirmed by many people on the french forum ArchosLounge.-
I think its a sub-filesystem they use under FroYo to get secured storage space, for the market and that kind of things.

Tried a temporary root with Zimage. Doesnt work.
As far as I know, root is a total no-go once you set multi-boot.

Mainstream installation process is not a concern at all at this time; we have no use of non-dev users who have difficulties to set this up.

Regards
Last edited by wewewi on Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jimobrien
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by jimobrien »

I have installed the developer edition firmware successfully and have a now booting: Android 1.6, Android 2.2, and Angstrom.

I have one question for the developers. How can I tell if a linux distro might have a chance of being compatible with the Archos? Would FreeBSD be capable? How do I know? Does it have to have a certain kernal version?
wewewi
Archos User
Archos User

Post by wewewi »

Since Im the closest thing to a dev around here these days, I'm going to put it plain and simple;

If you dont know what youre doing, NO OTHER LINUX DISTRIBUTION will EVER work on the A5IT.

If you were hoping to get -any- OS working by simply changing a few strings here and there, forget about it!

Oh, and if it wasnt obvious enough, no one here has the skills/time/will to work on this.

bye
pray59
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by pray59 »

I was under the impression only 1 OS in the boot menu can initialize after the timeout, so I set my Donut line to end with |/init|1, and after several seconds it automatically boots to the original OS.
What i am not sure of is, is it because of the line ending with |/init|1 or because Donut is my first line in the Menu.lst file that it boot if I don't select in the time limit. I have both Froyo and Angstrom ending |/init|0.

I'm confused because I see 2 lines ending in |/init|1 on your boot menu?
wewewi
Archos User
Archos User

Post by wewewi »

Stay confused then.

I JUST explained what the /init|1-0 thing is;
jimobrien
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by jimobrien »

anything that is android based needs to have a |0 on the end.

anything that is linux based, such as Angstrom, need to have a |1 on the end.
jimobrien
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by jimobrien »

It is my understanding now thanks to wewewi that other linux distros will NOT work because the drivers for the hardware on the archos 5 need to be adapted for the distro to work on the device.

I know I'm somewhat of a novice, but I think I deserve a better title. I'm not as computer illiterate as some users. At least I did my research before asking questions without knowledge.
jimobrien
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by jimobrien »

Now that we know linux distros wont work without the drivers being adapted. How do we start the process of adapting the drivers for the device?

Say I want to port Gingerbread 2.3 to the archos. I would download the gingerbread 2.3 source code, and the source code for the archos 5 Gen 7 from the archos website. Then, what program and procedure would be required to start the adapting of the drivers? Would I use ADB bridge? and what program should I use to adapt the drivers?

I know this is a very difficult process and requires trial and error, but I just want to try and understand the process. I hope to help develop 2.3 Gingerbread or 3.0 Honeycomb when the source code is released.
li8w8
Archos User
Archos User

Post by li8w8 »

wewewi wrote:Since Im the closest thing to a dev around here these days, I'm going to put it plain and simple;

If you dont know what youre doing, NO OTHER LINUX DISTRIBUTION will EVER work on the A5IT.

If you were hoping to get -any- OS working by simply changing a few strings here and there, forget about it!

Oh, and if it wasnt obvious enough, no one here has the skills/time/will to work on this.

bye
then explain the meego image (alpha) and this: ubuntu (alpha)

http://www.openaos.org/archives/697

;) i'm sure ubuntu can be done if people work further on it!
jimobrien
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by jimobrien »

I have posted a thread on the XDA developers forum to try to find help with developing a 2.3 Gingerbread ROM for the Archos.

I have sent a message to the user Nicktime, trying to enlist his help in finding out the process required for adapting the drivers to a ROM.

I know it will take time and patience (and maybe money), but I'm willing to help any way I can.

I am interested in helping in the development of Froyo 2.2, Gingerbread 2.3, OR Ubuntu w/ linux kernal 2.6.35 for the Archos 5 IT 160GB.

Return to “Archos 5 Internet Tablet with Android”