Request to test a specific application

Archos Android Tablet available now 8GB ($189), 16GB ($229), 32GB ($258), 160GB ($310), 500GB ($349)
Lastand1st
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Request to test a specific application

Post by Lastand1st »

Hi,
i am currently considering buying a Archos 5, mainly because i want to use it in a car.
Would anyone be so kind to test the App "Torque" from the market. (It is a OBDII Scanner for Car diagnosis)

It is really important for me whether this app works and will influence my purchase decision :)

Thank you very much,
Last
TobyK
Archos User
Archos User

Re: Request to test a specific application

Post by TobyK »

I have used Torque before and it works fine! The layout gets muddled a little, but since you can drag the widgets around, it is not a problem. The extra screen space makes it a pleasure to use. I have a bluetooth obd key, it works well.
@tobykurien
Lastand1st
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Lastand1st »

Thank you very much.
Cheers
mac_postman
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by mac_postman »

Would one of you please tell me how to get and load torque on my Archos 5?

I tried to get it from google apps but they make it so hard.

One of you mentioned the market. Is that an Archos site?

Thank you.
jamie41
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by jamie41 »

mac_postman wrote:Would one of you please tell me how to get and load torque on my Archos 5?

I tried to get it from google apps but they make it so hard.

One of you mentioned the market. Is that an Archos site?

Thank you.
The Google Market says that it requires only Android 1.5, so it should load to your A5 with no difficulty. In what way does the Google Market make it so hard to get it?
mac_postman
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by mac_postman »

I can't seem to download it.

I logged into Google.
I find the application.
I click on the download button it pops up a window that seems to do nothing.
It says something about another type of account that I need.

But I can't figure out how to create it.

So the market that the other newby spoke of is the Google Market?

I was hoping for a simple, login, find app, download, install...... have fun with it.

Tthank you.
jamie41
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by jamie41 »

mac_postman wrote:I can't seem to download it.

I logged into Google.
I find the application.
I click on the download button it pops up a window that seems to do nothing.
It says something about another type of account that I need.

But I can't figure out how to create it.

So the market that the other newby spoke of is the Google Market?

I was hoping for a simple, login, find app, download, install...... have fun with it.

Tthank you.
Yes, "the Market" is shorthand for the (previously named) "Google Market", now called "Google Play".

You start by opening a Google account, and placing a credit card on file to enable you to purchase stuff, just like iTunes or any other online "market".

You install the Google Market app on your Archos device. When you first use the app, you will be asked for your Google account details, so you will need to be online to allow Google to verify your details for your device.

Then, when you run the app on your device, you will see listed, apps which are suitable for your version of Android. You should download and install something (anything) using the app. This will "kickstart" your online account.

Soon after you've installed an app from the Google Market app on your device, you can start going to the Google Play website, login via your Google account, and you will see listed the app you installed via your Archos.

Then, finally, you can browse the other apps in the Google Play website, and, when you tell the website you want to download the app, it will tell you which of your Android devices are capable of running the app, and to which the app can be downloaded. If Google Play thinks your device is not suitable for the app, the install option will be greyed out. If it thinks your device is suitable to run the app, it will "queue" the app for doiwnloading and installing the app to your device, the next time you go online on your Archos.

And that's it really.

I'm afraid not everything in life is a "... simple login, .... etc". Sometimes you just have to take the time to learn how to do it right.

Have fun with it .....

:)
mac_postman
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by mac_postman »

It's just a pain trying to doi it with Opera. The screens don't line up quit right. I'll create an account on my other computer then try the Archos 5.

Before i do this, Is there a replacement OS for this thing?

Thanks for the help.

Return to “Archos 5 Internet Tablet with Android”