WPA2-Enterprise and Proxy Access

Archos Android Tablet available now 8GB ($189), 16GB ($229), 32GB ($258), 160GB ($310), 500GB ($349)
cumulonix
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

WPA2-Enterprise and Proxy Access

Post by cumulonix »

I got my archos 5 internet tablet (16GB) a few days ago, and upgraded to the latest firmware (2.0.38, android 1.6). I spend a lot of time in my university where the wi-fi is WPA-2 enterprise (I need a login/passwd to even connect to the wireless network). To access the internet, I should also enter the proxy server IP address (no authentication required here) on the browser.
I am sure many other schools in the US and elsewhere have WPA2-Enterprise and a proxy server. Is there someone who has resolved this issue for their archos?
sephhi
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Re: WPA2-Enterprise and Proxy Access

Post by sephhi »

You can use wifi advanced config editor. It's in the market.
cumulonix
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by cumulonix »

sephhi wrote:You can use wifi advanced config editor. It's in the market.
Perfect.
Ok, here is what I did.
1) install (search in the market for) wifi advanced config editor. Its free.
2) wifi advanced config editor will not do a wifi scan for you. so, manually add the enterprise network - lets call it wpa2e- using android provided wifi interface. (settings - wireless controls - wifi settings - Add wi-fi network). Enter the correct ssid (in our case, its 'wpa2e"), security = WPA-EAP, and save it without a password.
3) open wifi advanced config editor and configure wpa2e. you might need some help from your wireless administrator.
voila! you should be connected. (wifi will say connected to wpa2e)

This does not work for configuring proxy. I am yet to figure out a solution for that. Will edit this post after I get that working.
SWDT
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by SWDT »

I have the same issue with Work networks etc were I need to enter the proxy and ports manually, there doesn't seem to be a way of doing this, I've checked high and low.
microglycerine
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by microglycerine »

Hi!

What do I need to do to get android market application on my Archos 5? The only app I got on it to install other apps are something called AppsLib...

Thanks!
enthalpy
Archos User
Archos User

Post by enthalpy »

microglycerine, this is a FAQ.

Look here:
http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=29833

The title of the discussion may not show your firmware number, but the instructions apply.
A5A 16GB,BT kbd,DVRdock..A101 RMA'd
microglycerine
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by microglycerine »

Thanks for the info. I read about it. I'm not sure I want to install google marketplace anymore because I don't know if NDrive will continue to work after I done the install and I did'nt see anyone talking about that in the forum.

Could I download the apk file of the "wifi advanced config editor" (which I already did; found that on this site http://www.freewarelovers.com/android) and install this application on my Archos 5 without installing google marketplace? Could it cause some kind of a problem? What do you think?

Thanks again.

Jeff
jw98029
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by jw98029 »

A partial solution for the proxy issue is to use Opera Mobile to configure a proxy for browsing only - see for instance http://androidproxy.blogspot.com/
enthalpy
Archos User
Archos User

Post by enthalpy »

microglycerine wrote: Could I download the apk file of the "wifi advanced config editor" (which I already did; found that on this site http://www.freewarelovers.com/android) and install this application on my Archos 5 without installing google marketplace? Could it cause some kind of a problem? What do you think?
Thanks again.
Jeff
If you have the apk, yes. Put it on your A5A, tap on it to install it.
A5A 16GB,BT kbd,DVRdock..A101 RMA'd

Return to “Archos 5 Internet Tablet with Android”