A2dp solves tons of issues in one fell swoop

Archos Android Tablet available now 8GB ($189), 16GB ($229), 32GB ($258), 160GB ($310), 500GB ($349)
TobyK
Archos User
Archos User

A2dp solves tons of issues in one fell swoop

Post by TobyK »

Just a heads-up. I got myself a Nokia BH-505 bluetooth stereo headset today, and I've realised how amazing audio-over-bluetooth can be:

- No more tangled wires. You can gym with Archos in your pocket or in your gym bag near you.
- Volume issue solved! Set Archos to max volume after pairing and connecting and you will have more than adequate volume on your headset, which has it's own volume control.
- Sound quality! My biggest issue was enhancing the bass for the ear buds (since they inherently lack bass), so I use custom EQ settings that help, for the most part. With this headset, it has it's own built-in bass boost, so I have great sound quality!
- It also seems to have headphone cross-feed which makes the sound more natural, hence reducing fatigue when listening for long periods
- Ability to skip a song by pressing a button on the headset (forwards or back). Without waking up the Archos!
- Ability to pause the song by pressing a button. Without waking up the Archos!
- Archos can charge on the dock while I walk around the house listening to music off it
- If an e-mail comes through, the notification actually plays on the headset instead of the speaker. This also doesn't mess up any EQ settings (unlike when using headphones). The sound going to your headset is untainted by the EQ.

The only downside I can see so far is that the battery drains faster on the Archos due to the constant bluetooth streaming.

I am now going to try to get myself a car head unit that supports A2DP, AVRCP, and HFP bluetooth profiles, which will then replicate all this functionality in my car! So far I found the Sony MEX-BT3700U (or newer). This will solve my current problem that I cannot skip tracks/pause/etc if I play music from the Archos to the head unit via an FM transmitter/aux-in, while driving. Plus if you stream from your phone, when a call comes through, the music will pause, you answer the call and start speaking.
@tobykurien
Tyler27
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Re: A2dp solves tons of issues in one fell swoop

Post by Tyler27 »

yup seems about right, i have a pair of Motorola S-9 HD and they are amazing, battery is the only sucky part
Tyler
A5A 500gb
paulus3476
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by paulus3476 »

I can certainly confirm the sony mex range are excellent - got one in each of my cars , music , gps and hands free calling are all dealt with simply .
butterflygirl
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by butterflygirl »

I have some Sony bluetooth earbuds and I love them. Best part is ability to skip and control volume without having to touch the Archos.
GroupB
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by GroupB »

I order 2 day ago a Sony DRBT21GB Stereo A2DP Bluetooth Headset. Im waiting on the post , those are also AVRCP ( remote control ) , HSP and HFP. I read around that A2DP and AVRCP should work with the archos but I dont know of the HSP or HFP work with it. I try a couple motorola heatset before without luck... I hope its work with Mangler or ventriloID ( I wait a year for those 2 program, with my friend we heavy vent user) If the headset work and they upgrade the ventrilo with voice dectection I will be very very please.
ixtroisy
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by ixtroisy »

Nice thread. I was thinking to get something like that for while.
Any recommendations on stereo bluetooth head sets and ear buds that have been tested with the A5IT? (comfort, sound quality, playback duration, folding ability, ease of use and ergonomy...)
hauk
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by hauk »

Glad it's working out for you. One niggle though: sound quality is not equivalent to boosting bass. Sound quality will obviously better through wired headphones than over bluetooth.

The controls must be nice though.
TobyK
Archos User
Archos User

Post by TobyK »

While I agree that sound quality does not equal bass boost (nor sound volume) alone, I would have to say that this particular Nokia headset gives me better sound quality overall (but not by much) than my wired Sennheisser earbuds connected directly. It does lack a bit of treble tho and there is no ability to EQ the sound.

The point I'm making is that it is possible to get better sound by streaming the music to a good quality headset. The headset will have it's own audio circuitry, which bypasses any issues with Archos (like EQ resetting, low volume or distortion on high-volume recordings, etc), but the caveat here is that you may end up with a headset that introduces even more problems or worse sound quality, which is entirely likely.
@tobykurien
butterflygirl
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by butterflygirl »

ixtroisy wrote:Nice thread. I was thinking to get something like that for while.
Any recommendations on stereo bluetooth head sets and ear buds that have been tested with the A5IT? (comfort, sound quality, playback duration, folding ability, ease of use and ergonomy...)

I have these and they have worked quite well for me. I am not an audiophile, but the sound quality seems good to me. They work with the A5IT and allow me to play, pause and skip through music and control the volume. Only issue I have had is that I can't use them to pause the audible app (for audible.com audiobooks). If I do, then it starts the Android stock music player. I haven't had any issues using them with the Archos music app. There is a tiny bit of BT lag on video.

They also work well on my iPod Touch now after upgrading to IOS4.1. I can finally play, pause and skip music with them. There doesn't seem to be any BT lag on videos with the iPod Touch.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-DRBT100CX-BL ... 635&sr=8-1
Drevil
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Drevil »

I got rid of mine because when watching a movie with them the sound was about a second out of sync

Music was great but I don't use my archos for much else than movies
archos 5 250gb

Return to “Archos 5 Internet Tablet with Android”