wil andriod 2.2 (froyo) ever get an offical relase on archos

Archos Android Tablet available now 8GB ($189), 16GB ($229), 32GB ($258), 160GB ($310), 500GB ($349)
smcauley600
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

wil andriod 2.2 (froyo) ever get an offical relase on archos

Post by smcauley600 »

hello i just want to know is andriod 2.2 (froyo) ever gonna get an offical relase on archos 5 are we not getting it due to hardware because to be honest it feels like there screwing us over if you can put it on a small phone i see no reason why we can't get it on the archos 5
gschier
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Re: wil andriod 2.2 (froyo) ever get an offical relase on ar

Post by gschier »

you have so much to learn young grasshopper
32GB A5A Owner
map002
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by map002 »

They're most likely going to 'screw you over' then. Sorry.

Michael
nasimdejai
Archos User
Archos User

Post by nasimdejai »

just forget about this device getting 2.2,that's never going to happen. We are going be stuck with 1.6 forever,if we are lucky,we get 1 or 2 updates and that'll be it. They are focussing on the new Gen 8 tablets which I'm never ever going to spend my money on cos The A5IT has been a complete let down for me.so my friend,start thinking about getting a different android capable device that'll give u hope of OS updates.
map002
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by map002 »

It is in the process of getting Android 2.2 as we speak. It's just not getting it from Archos.

Michael
macr0t0r
Archos User
Archos User

Post by macr0t0r »

If I may ask...is it really that big of a deal? We get animated backgrounds (annoying), tethering (useless in our case), and improved Java speed (Archos is already pretty speedy). Admittedly, saving apps to the SD card would be nice, but I can survive.

Except for a few programs, most of the Google Market stuff is good for Android 1.6 and up anyways. I suppose I'm easy to please, but I don't see 2.2 as a "must have." Considering there are devices still being sold with Android 1.5 on them (really? why?), I'm pretty glad that Archos at least gave us 1.6 with hardware acceleration.

Truth be told, the biggest problems are lack of multi-touch (resistive screen) and a lack of hardware buttons and camera. I can see why Archos needs to concentrate on releasing new hardware rather than slow themselves down with a device that will continue to have software compatibility issues due to it's hardware limitations.

- Jim
- Jim (A5 8GB)
edbakker
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by edbakker »

Hi,

In an earlier post is mentioned that Froyo will come to Archos 5 "as we speak" but not by Archos..... Is there any progress in this? Or should I consider selling my good functioning A5?

Thanks.
:-)

Ed
map002
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by map002 »

You can look at the OpenAOS blog for more info on their 2.2 project. It's coming along.

But if running Android 2.2 on an Android tablet is the most important thing for you, considering the HW limitations of the A5A and the way it hampers it's performance as an outright Android tablet, you might want to look at one of the other full-featured Android tablets coming up in the fall. Most of them won't do multi-codec HD media well, but if that's not important to you, you'll have a wide selection to choose from.

Michael
Crlrhxphn
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Crlrhxphn »

macr0t0r wrote:If I may ask...is it really that big of a deal? We get animated backgrounds (annoying), tethering (useless in our case), and improved Java speed (Archos is already pretty speedy). Admittedly, saving apps to the SD card would be nice, but I can survive.

Except for a few programs, most of the Google Market stuff is good for Android 1.6 and up anyways. I suppose I'm easy to please, but I don't see 2.2 as a "must have." Considering there are devices still being sold with Android 1.5 on them (really? why?), I'm pretty glad that Archos at least gave us 1.6 with hardware acceleration.

Truth be told, the biggest problems are lack of multi-touch (resistive screen) and a lack of hardware buttons and camera. I can see why Archos needs to concentrate on releasing new hardware rather than slow themselves down with a device that will continue to have software compatibility issues due to it's hardware limitations.

- Jim
Most of what your mentioning is just personal opinions. And it is not just a few incompatible apps with most of the products being released having at least 2.1 and with them getting updated more and more programs are getting locked out to us including some of the best games. This is not a phone. We have to pay for Archos products instead of having part of the cost subsidized by a phone contract that we most likely would be paying for cell service anyway, so people who buy the Archos more than likely wont be getting one every year or even every other year. Most people get a new phone every year or two, so there will be no reason for Google app makers to support 1.5 or 1.6 in a couple of months leaving us unable to use the the new apps. Not to mention that most of the phones and tablets are released by a few companies, like Samsung. Once they are able to update one Galaxy x phone they will be able to update them all across all carriers. Plus 2.2 is supposed to give us flash which would be a great addition to a Portable video player with it we would be able to access Hulu and many other similar sites.

I am not saying they have to give us 2.2. but they did promise us 2.0 when they released this product last October. It has almost been a year, by now we should have at least 2.1,

The lack of multitouch sucks. I never had an iphone before I bought this so I didn't know I would miss it. I don't care about hardware buttons and a camera that is not the type of device this is. It is for watching the most video formats and having the most storage. To be honest I don't want the next archos to have hardware buttons and a camera unless they manage to put in a 80gb flash drive at the same time. Otherwise there would be no reason to continue to buy archos products.
edbakker
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by edbakker »

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your swift reply! I must say I am satisfied with the A5 as is except for the fact fhat that I'd hate the feeling to be stuck with 1.6 and not.getting anymore Android updates. Eg.memory management improvements in Froyo, too many apps automatically starting up each time not being able to empty startup items, etc.

I sometimes feel a bit like having bought another windows pc....... My Apple products don't have these glitches....

And no, my A5 is not rooted as I prefer to keep it in it's original state really. Don't have the knowledge needed for rooting etc....

Rgrds,
Ed
map002
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by map002 »

Crlrhxphn wrote:I am not saying they have to give us 2.2. but they did promise us 2.0 when they released this product last October.
They did? Url or attribution?

Michael
map002
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by map002 »

edbakker wrote:I sometimes feel a bit like having bought another windows pc....... My Apple products don't have these glitches....
You're always going to have that feeling, for the same reason you feel that about Mac vs. Linux or Windows PCs.

Apple writes their OSes (OS X or iOS) specifically for a very few hardware configurations that they themselves designed and produce. Android, like Linux (or the M$ OSes) has to run on tens of thousands of possible HW configurations.

So OSX and iOS can run like they were written just for that PC or that tablet because they were.

Of course Android (and Linux) has a lot of other really great things about it that can make it a very worthwhile trade-off for some folks, but it is a trade-off.

(Apologies to the religious. Pretend you never read that. Jobs is evil, Apple is bad. Google is god and Android is his prophet, really.)

Where Android devices are concerned, the best you can do is try to find a device that covers as many of the things Android expects to be on a device as you can.

For about a year, for tablets, that was the A5A, as incomplete as it was. That is now changing dramatically and I look forward to seeing how things will shake out in the next few months and to see if the larger Gen 8 products will have what it takes to compete.

Michael
davep1
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by davep1 »

map002 wrote:
Crlrhxphn wrote:I am not saying they have to give us 2.2. but they did promise us 2.0 when they released this product last October.
They did? Url or attribution?

Michael
The press release http://www.archos.com/corporate/press/p ... 915_en.pdf didn't even promise an upgrade from Cupcake to Donut, much less Eclair or FroYo. Eclair hadn't been released by Google when the A5IT was announced.
OldGdgtGuy 8gA5
edbakker
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by edbakker »

Hello Michael,

Thanks again for your information. You're quite right about the explanations you give.
But..... as Archos sells these tablets, not being smartphones or anything, I expect to be able to enjoy Android / Archos 5 for more then a short period, meaning that I do expect them to follow up on Android versions. Otherwise there will be the moment my apps are all 'only-compatible-with' eg Froyo etc. Like this I can only use my A5 for the standard things onboard and not the more up-to-date apps....

My A5 is working ok now, as long as I 'clean out of memory' all apps that started up automatically giving me back my RAM I need... I understand Froyo has much better memory management all together out of the box.

Archos is really busy with their (I believe) 5 new tablets they come up with in Sept; this makes me fear my A5 will soon be obsolete so to speak!

I'm looking forward to the new Samsung Tab coming out in September as well! In the meantime I will continue using my A5 giving me pleasure all along. The things possible like watching movies, listening music etc etc (list is too long to mention) are really swell on the A5!

Rgrds,

Ed
macr0t0r
Archos User
Archos User

Post by macr0t0r »

Crlrhxphn wrote: Plus 2.2 is supposed to give us flash which would be a great addition to a Portable video player with it we would be able to access Hulu and many other similar sites.
As you said, it's a personal preference of mine. However, the desire for "real" Flash is certainly valid. I'm sure in about 3 or so months when touch-optimized sites become common that I'll certainly start to miss that feature.
- Jim
- Jim (A5 8GB)
map002
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by map002 »

Sorry, hadn't noticed this until now. Hulu blocks Flash for Android, and other TV streaming sites are also either blocking or planning on blocking Flash for Android.

I understand that some people seem to legitimately want Flash for Android, but Hulu is not a reason to want it.

Michael
Tyler27
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Tyler27 »

im sure that the people at OpenAOS will have 2.2 working and ready before archos does, but i think the archos is just fine with 1.6, im happy with it, still does everything i bought it for and the psx emulator is a nice touch, once the N64 emulator is released and if it works on 1.6 my archos will be perfect
Tyler
A5A 500gb
sequitur
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by sequitur »

There are a number of good points here. The mention of the preference for hardware buttons and camera being a preference I think is more than that. Archos has this on the small versions already announced. You don't need hardware buttons, it is just a more organic experience with them, speaking as someone who has several Android devices. Likewise cameras are cheap and offer a lot of very cool features.

As for memory management and goodies, root your device and see what is possible already. Check out the open development. Now let's get real. I think the cool one is the 32 GB version. (I just replaced a hard drive in my old 250 GB non Android version and now I need to do a battery too, so for another $100 I should have a 500 GB media player that is decent) Since it was introduced the 32 GB unit has fallen $100 on Amazon. Watch what happens in six months. When I got my gen 6 I sold my gen 5 and was very disappointed in how much I got for it. So I kept my gen 6 when I got gen 7. My gen 7 will be at best a gift to someone who can't afford a tablet.

The point is the gen 7 device will be useful for apps, media and web browsing for a long time and will be able to run the latest software just as the old T-Mobile G1 is. Frankly I'd rather have a Vibrant than a G1, and I do. By the time gingerbread rolls out you will want a device designed to take advantage of it instead of trying to shoehorn it into a device that was built before it was possible to know the specs and features of the new OS.
rfs
Archos User
Archos User

Post by rfs »

My Apple products don't have these glitches....
I own a 160 GB iPod Classic, and it's firmware is pretty glitchy, and hasn't been updated for several years.

Also, iTunes for Windows is one gigantic glitch.

So Apple isn't perfect.

- Bob
A5A 500GB owner
edbakker
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by edbakker »

Since I don't have to use WinXP anymore (once a month via my BC?) I'm one happy guy alright!
No more irritations....
:-)

Finally I've got a "pc" (=iMac & Macbook & iPod with IOS 4.02 & Archos 5) which do what they were designed for.....
Such a relief alright!

Rgrds,

Ed

Return to “Archos 5 Internet Tablet with Android”