Calling all those who have repaired screens!!

Archos Android Tablet available now 8GB ($189), 16GB ($229), 32GB ($258), 160GB ($310), 500GB ($349)
duoex
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Calling all those who have repaired screens!!

Post by duoex »

Hello once again. I'm looking for anyone who have experience with replacing archos screens (touch & non-touch). I have 2 Archos 5 Androids, one with a broken screen and one with a working screen. My objective is to put the working screen into the other archos so i can retrieve my apps from the broken one. Can ANYONE write me a verbal explanation or video as to HOW to dissmantle the archos and replace the screen? Thanks for all of your help and i appreciate your kindness.

Thanks again and waiting on your replies!

- Duoex
Just_Gerald
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Re: Calling all those who have repaired screens!!

Post by Just_Gerald »

personally if it is just a matter of pulling apps off your old one, I would just get a dock (battery one would be my preferance) and use it to hookup to a tv so you can see your archos and then you can pull what you want off using a backup utility(like astro). You may also need to use a mouse if your touchscreen itself is damaged.
much easier and safer then changing screens, and you will have a dock to do many other things with.
duoex
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by duoex »

That sounds like an excellent idea. I have a dock, but I'm unsure as to how I'l be able to use a mouse for the touchscreen. Anyways, thanks for the suggestion.

Keep them coming!
gschier
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by gschier »

If you used google market to install your apps you can just reinstall the same ones (even the ones you bought) on your working Archos 5
32GB A5A Owner
duoex
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by duoex »

I tried when i used the same account on my newer archos, but apparently only the paid apps you can save on your account.
Just_Gerald
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Just_Gerald »

duoex wrote:That sounds like an excellent idea. I have a dock, but I'm unsure as to how I'l be able to use a mouse for the touchscreen. Anyways, thanks for the suggestion.

Keep them coming!
just plug any usb mouse into the USB on the dock, presto chango, you now have a mouse cursor
duoex
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by duoex »

Wow. No comment but thanks.
sweetypie
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by sweetypie »

Would you mind letting us know how you get on?

I used to do this regularly, but I hadn't done it for ages, until yesterday, when I tried it with my battery dock. I've installed several FW updates since I last did it. It was a disaster. The arrow wouldn't cover the whole screen. The more I used it, the less screen it would cover. It was unusable.

I didn't post anything about it, because I thought I'd do some proper tests with my DVR station before I mentioned it.

Watch this space.

Return to “Archos 5 Internet Tablet with Android”