The New Hotmail and Default Browser

Archos Android Tablet available now 8GB ($189), 16GB ($229), 32GB ($258), 160GB ($310), 500GB ($349)
wpeace
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

The New Hotmail and Default Browser

Post by wpeace »

Is it just me, but has anyone had problems accessing Hotmail since their upgrade with the default browser in the Archos 5?

Opera seems to at least be able to get beyond the login screen, but is pretty unusable. Prior to the upgrade I had no problem with my A5 but now all I get is a blank page when trying to login.
_______
Wesley
sweetypie
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Re: The New Hotmail and Default Browser

Post by sweetypie »

No it's not just you. The new Windows Live login page just shows blank in the standard browser.

EDIT: Sorry, should have added - X-Scope Browser is the one to use if you want to do this in a browser.
NixEre
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by NixEre »

AH. Not just me then - and I haven't upgraded my Archos for some time as why fix what ain't broke ...
Nic
A5ITwA-500GB & AV700-250GB
gschier
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by gschier »

NixEre wrote:AH. Not just me then - and I haven't upgraded my Archos for some time as why fix what ain't broke ...
He/she means that Hotmail was the one who had the update. They changed their whole system around.

I also use Hotmail and am completely satisfied with connecting it to the default Email App. That way it's faster and you get notifications when you receive new emails :)
32GB A5A Owner
NixEre
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by NixEre »

I have tried both. With the e-mail app I get the headers fine, my trash has trouble ( and it is amazing how much of my good stuff goes there due to the 500 user limit in Hotmail ) but the messages do not always open, and I frequently get the error message that Andoid has to close the app. I also cannot access all my Hotmail folders - maybe that's my settings wrong. However that was why I found the browser version more reliable. Still, I guess MSoft will fix it if they know that all Androids are affected. ;-)
Nic
NixEre
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by NixEre »

Ahhh - the universal MSoft response on the HotMail help site to Android :

For customers experiencing issues with the new version of Hotmail, we are actively working to resolve the problems that have been reported.

So we can relax , can't we ???-)
Nic
sweetypie
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by sweetypie »

In the meantime I can thoroughly recommend K-9 as an email client - free from the Market.

I've used it since last year. Has all the features missing from the standard email client, incl batch processing.
Gabriel1964
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Gabriel1964 »

sweetypie wrote:In the meantime I can thoroughly recommend K-9 as an email client - free from the Market.

I've used it since last year. Has all the features missing from the standard email client, incl batch processing.
+1 for K9 - I love it
wpeace
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by wpeace »

NixEre wrote:Ahhh - the universal MSoft response on the HotMail help site to Android :

For customers experiencing issues with the new version of Hotmail, we are actively working to resolve the problems that have been reported.

I saw that, but did you notice the date on that post?

Time for me to really do some digging.
_______
Wesley
wpeace
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by wpeace »

sweetypie wrote:In the meantime I can thoroughly recommend K-9 as an email client - free from the Market.

I've got plenty of clients I use, but found using the browser on the A5T was ideal as I could clean my Inbox and respond to mail pretty quickly. I've not had as clean an experience with other clients unless I'm at my desktop. Even the A9 running IE9 is not as clean an experience as the A5 has been.
_______
Wesley
NixEre
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by NixEre »

wpeace wrote:
NixEre wrote:Ahhh - the universal MSoft response on the HotMail help site to Android :

I saw that, but did you notice the date on that post?

Time for me to really do some digging.
Sadly yes, it was a standard auto reply. But at least the problem is logged.
Nic
map002
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by map002 »

Of course there's a simple fix. Use only Genuine MicrosoftTM Products! ;)

Michael
sweetypie
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by sweetypie »

wpeace wrote: I've got plenty of clients I use, but found using the browser on the A5T was ideal as I could clean my Inbox and respond to mail pretty quickly.
!!!Ramble Alert!!

My attitude to clients / browsers and my PC / Archos / mobile phone is this.

I have a whole email filing system which lives in my (main) laptop within Microsoft Outlook. This store of my emails, contacts, and calendar, in a .pst file, has been around for over 10 years, and has moved from computer to computer through time.

I read my emails in all sorts of places, using clients / browsers as I go. In every client, I have it set to leave a copy on the server except on my main laptop. The main laptop does the file management. I have years worth of stored emailed receipts, software licence numbers, yada yada...

I have several hotmail accounts. One is a "main" account, and goes back before the inception of the hotmail account, to the creation of the first Microsoft subscription, dialup accounts. This was when MSN didn't mean an Instant Messenger - msn.com, then microsoft.com, was the first Microsoft email domain. This was created in competition to Compuserve, the only option in those days for browsing and email.

Remember that, in Windows 95, Internet Explore and Outlook Express were not included as part of Windows - that came with Windows 98. So too did the big court case, and battle with Netscape.

I also have several pop3 accounts, including my main one from my ISP - also very old, and some accounts on my own domain.

Now that hotmail, in the current guise of "Live" mail has gone pop3 (with security) I use Outlook on my main laptop to manage my main "Live" (hotmail) account, my main ISP's pop3 account, and my main Own Domain account. I use "Windows Live Mail" client to manage my "junk" hotmail accounts, and I use "Windows Live Desktop Mail" (the latest incarnation of Outlook Express) to delete the large quantities of junk which arrives on my Own Domain master accounts - it's much quicker to delete large quantities of junk from a client, as the browser view only lets you delete one "page" at a time. When I had 17,000 junk emails to delete, it would have been impossible to delete them using a browser.

So, on my phone, my Archos, and my second laptop, I only read emails using clients. If at all possible, I don't reply to them from those devices, because the "Sent" items won't be stored on my main laptop. When I really do have to respond to an email from a device, I send a copy to yet another email account of mine, which I never use, but also monitor within Outlook. That way I can trap the sent items in Outlook in my main laptop too, and file it accordingly.

Occasionally I visit the webmail versions of my various email accounts for housekeeping purposes.

So there. Like most good things, it took me ages to work out this email management plan, and obviously, ages to describe it here (sorry), but it takes minutes to use on a daily basis, which was the purpose of the exercise. My email filing system is safely stored away.

Now I realise that there is a current possibility of storing everything online, instead of locally. But this really requires the commitment to one "Email Host" only, or an even more complicated means of moving stuff around to that central server store. Not for me. All eggs in one basket.

I only mention it in case it gives someone food for thought in managing their own emails, if they happen to be as complicated as mine.
Last edited by sweetypie on Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:39 am, edited 3 times in total.
NixEre
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by NixEre »

map002 wrote:Of course there's a simple fix. Use only Genuine MicrosoftTM Products! ;)

Michael
Thanks! I'll do that - now what's the name of their multi media 500 GB internet tablet ? :-)
Nic
map002
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by map002 »

Here you are... http://www.amazon.com/HEWLETT-PACKARD-A ... B0038SLZSW

You might need bigger pockets though.

Michael
NixEre
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by NixEre »

map002 wrote:Here you are... http://www.amazon.com/HEWLETT-PACKARD-A ... B0038SLZSW

You might need bigger pockets though.

Michael
... and deeper ...

would solve my media player problems too ! next time perhaps
Nic
sweetypie
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by sweetypie »

QVC UK did this recently as a TSV. They've been showing a few swivel touchscreen models recently. They did the Asus model(s?) too. Sold out in under a day.
map002
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by map002 »

In all seriousness, they're nice machines. It's just too bad there's not a good x86 OS with a designed-from-the-ground-up-touchscreen UI. Even the the Android and iOS interfaces don't scale well to that size.

I'm really looking forward to a proper successor to the current mouse-centric UIs we keep trying to adapt to touchscreens and fingers. It's time to start over from scratch and build the right tools for the new job.

Michael
baxjohnson
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by baxjohnson »

sweetypie wrote:
wpeace wrote: I've got plenty of clients I use, but found using the browser on the A5T was ideal as I could clean my Inbox and respond to mail pretty quickly.
!!!Ramble Alert!!

My attitude to clients / browsers and my PC / Archos / mobile phone is this.......
As I read through this I had to smile because this is pretty much my set-up too. Now, I go back to the days of the internet before there were pictures and I was dialing in on a 1200 baud modem. Heck, I go back to the days pre internet where all information was disseminated via "inter-office memos", "facsimiles" and "letters" (you kids can google those words).

I have carried emails on my hard drive(s) over the years through Eudora, Netscape Navigator/Communicator and now Thunderbird. My oldest active account is an @netscape.net account. I also have multiple accounts (POP3 and IMAP) that I manage all through Thunderbird even though I read email on about 4 different devices.

Recently I have been thinking about going all online but my concern is getting everything into one bucket (say Gmail or MSN) then having that company stop providing email (for whatever reason) and I log in one day to find all my stuff gone. Also, it is not clear what I would do with the 1,000(s) of emails I have stored on my harddrive.

For now I guess there is nothing wrong with having options.

BTW, I love the K-9 email app. Very easy to set-up and manage emails on both POP3 and IMAP.

Bax
A5A 160GB | 101 16gb
sweetypie
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by sweetypie »

Netscape - sigh...

I had email accounts at netscape, aol, and compuserve, all with the same nick.

Eventually they all merged (remember AOL Time Warner? Sony? Pah!) and netscape wrote to me telling me I had to create a new nick, because my nick was already in use by another user. No amount of me telling them that the other users with my nick were also me. Over a couple of weeks I lost all three.

1200 baud? Full duplex? Luxury! Remember 1200/50 acoustic couplers? The first one I used was in my (big) boss's office - he was the only one with an outside line. We formed a little BBC Micro club at work - 1982?

And we lived in a shoe box, my family, in a wet gutter. Those were the days...

Return to “Archos 5 Internet Tablet with Android”