It is kind of a shame.....

Archos Android Tablet available now 8GB ($189), 16GB ($229), 32GB ($258), 160GB ($310), 500GB ($349)
davep1
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Re: It is kind of a shame.....

Post by davep1 »

There are certainly phones now that can outdo the A5IT in many categories, GPS being one of them. For GPS, especially, it helps to have a cell radio because it can assist the GPS system in fixing your location.

Remember, though, that the A5IT is essentially the A5IMT with Android installed. That is to say that much of the hardware is two years old and even the current A5IT is coming up on a year old. Technology has advanced a lot in the meantime. By this time next year, based on announced products, we should see multi-core CPUs running at over 2.0GHz using Android 3.x.
OldGdgtGuy 8gA5
sweetypie
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by sweetypie »

mrnoname wrote:Are you telling me, you do not have a GPS enabled phone? Every phone ive had in the last 4 years has had feature rich GPS software. By your snide remark and tone, im assuming you traveled from a past where GPS technology is expensive or doesnt exist, or you still use a Zack Morris phone?
I don't know anybody with a GPS in their phone.

I think the clue to our communication problem is in your statement "Every phone ive had in the last 4 years...". Every phone ... in 4 years? So you change your phone like some people change their socks. Why?

Believe it or not, some people buy a phone to make phone calls. Some people don't play games Ever - they stopped that when they grew up. Some people don't spend their whole lives exchanging endless meaningless junk texts. Some people don't drive anywhere, and they know where they're going - ever heard of maps? Some people have simple mp3 players for their music, and would never think of watching a film on a tiny little screen.

And some people play tennis, go sailing, play football etc, go to the theatre, cinema, concerts etc. They don't spend every hour of their lives playing with gadgets (or trying to get them to work).

They have a life. When they do buy gadgets they expect them to work. So when they buy a new car, and the radio doesn't work, they don't say "Hey, that's ok Mr BMW, I already have a radio at home, so don't worry about it".

Jeez.
Farsquidge
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Farsquidge »

I know a guy who changes his socks less than he changes his phone and he's had his phone for the last four years!! 8<(
605Wi, A5IMT, A5IT, A7o 8GB:2.4.82
sweetypie
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by sweetypie »

I knew it was a mistake to talk about changing socks. People who live in grass houses...
map002
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by map002 »

...shouldn't wear socks. I completely agree!

Michael
djm.rocksoft
Archos User
Archos User

Post by djm.rocksoft »

... When they do buy gadgets they expect them to work...
... People who live in grass houses...
Probably have an extremely understandable interest in how long the battery in their 'just works' gadget will last.

Dave
map002
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by map002 »

I dunno, give the Professor some time and he'll cobble a generator together out of bamboo and coconut shells.

Michael
Farsquidge
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Farsquidge »

No need for that, PLENTY of sun out here means solar power....

Not much grass either, mainly sand, sandals and very few socks. :-)
ZeroTiger
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by ZeroTiger »

I would have to agree, despite its flaws, the A5 has the best video compatibility, codecs, and quality of any android device out there.
creepingmee
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by creepingmee »

It took me a while to stop laughing from the previous posts....

I now have a favorite quote from this forum and it will read

You know what they say on the archosfans forum....

"People in grass houses shouldn't wear socks!"

I'm laughing while I'm typing it....

Classic......
sweetypie
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by sweetypie »

creepingmee wrote:It took me a while to stop laughing from the previous posts....

I now have a favorite quote from this forum and it will read

You know what they say on the archosfans forum....

"People in grass houses shouldn't wear socks!"

I'm laughing while I'm typing it....

Classic......
Me too - the socks punchline is much funnier than the original punchline. I'd like to hear the story behind it.

Here's the original story for those too young to remember:

Once upon a time, there was a king, who lived in a village quite near to a jungle. I can't quite remembe which jungle, maybe Borneo, maybe the Amazon, maybe Glasgow Celtic FC ground. Because of the profusion of jungle type materials, the villagers homes were made of grass

Anyhoo, he was quite a friendly chap really, this king, except for one thing - he just couldn't resist, every now and again, raiding the homes of the kings of neighbouring villages. But all he would steal were their thrones. He would bring these thrones to his own grass house, and hide them there.

Being a king, he had a posh grass house, with an attic. So, to avoid discovery, he would hide the thrones in the attic.

One day, while this king was sharing old raiding stories with his all-male raiding parties, in his living room, the grass ceiling fell in and they were all killed stone dead, buried under an avalanche of thrones. Yes, there was a grass ceiling in the village raiding party business - no women allowed.

So, wait for it, the moral of the story is, of course, "People who live in grass houses shouldn't stow thrones".
map002
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by map002 »

I can't help but notice that the lady pointedly excludes the fairer sex from the metaphor... ;)

Michael
Farsquidge
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Farsquidge »

That's because us blokes are the ones that mostly wear the socks! ;-p
mrnoname
Archos User
Archos User

Post by mrnoname »

sweetypie wrote:
mrnoname wrote:Are you telling me, you do not have a GPS enabled phone? Every phone ive had in the last 4 years has had feature rich GPS software. By your snide remark and tone, im assuming you traveled from a past where GPS technology is expensive or doesnt exist, or you still use a Zack Morris phone?
I don't know anybody with a GPS in their phone.

I think the clue to our communication problem is in your statement "Every phone ive had in the last 4 years...". Every phone ... in 4 years? So you change your phone like some people change their socks. Why?

Believe it or not, some people buy a phone to make phone calls. Some people don't play games Ever - they stopped that when they grew up. Some people don't spend their whole lives exchanging endless meaningless junk texts. Some people don't drive anywhere, and they know where they're going - ever heard of maps? Some people have simple mp3 players for their music, and would never think of watching a film on a tiny little screen.

And some people play tennis, go sailing, play football etc, go to the theatre, cinema, concerts etc. They don't spend every hour of their lives playing with gadgets (or trying to get them to work).

They have a life. When they do buy gadgets they expect them to work. So when they buy a new car, and the radio doesn't work, they don't say "Hey, that's ok Mr BMW, I already have a radio at home, so don't worry about it".

Jeez.

You also forgot the category of people who get paid to be accessible (thats me). No games, no movies, no music. Just simple a fast internet phone with an awesome GPS, (and thankfully Evo supports Exchange, VPN, and with 3rd party apps remote desktop.) But even said, getting a new phone every year isnt that weird for a lot of people and even my sh**y little samsung slider phone I got in '05 had a turn by turn gps option. hell i got that phone for free after contract. Although GPS was not a free feature then. Dont get pissy just because you are too cool to own a good phone and stick with your 1980's Zack Morris phone.

Mod Edit: No Swearing Please
sweetypie
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by sweetypie »

I've had a Nokia N95 for 3 years, and a N97 for 1 year, for what it's worth. Please keep your pathetic assumptions to yourself.
mrnoname
Archos User
Archos User

Post by mrnoname »

Oh so then you did have a phone with all these great features that you claim were only for the irresponsible people, such as texting, gps, music etc. Whats the problem then?
sweetypie
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by sweetypie »

mrnoname wrote:Oh so then you did have a phone with all these great features that you claim were only for the irresponsible people, such as texting, gps, music etc. Whats the problem then?
Since you've obviously let your tongue run away with your brain, I'll remind you of my first post in this thread:
sweetypie wrote:
mrnoname wrote: I dont see the big complaint with the Archos GPS. I understand that since it has it and people paid for it, that they want it. But, seeings as my Evo is far better at utilizing the GPS I see no reason to use the Archos as a GPS.
Err...

The big complaint with the Archos GPS is that people who have bought it don't have an Evo.

Or did Archos give you a free Evo when you bought your Archos?
You commented that "I dont see the big complaint with the Archos GPS".

I responded to that comment, pointing out what "the big complaint" is: "...that people who have bought it don't have an Evo" to compensate for the fact that the GPS in the Archos doesn't work properly.

Now that we're past the personal rubbish (we are, aren't we?), feel free to rant on...

p.s. I still don't see what my particular phone has to do with it.
mrnoname
Archos User
Archos User

Post by mrnoname »

AH so you are not a part of the crowd of people complaining about the gps. understood. Just the way you got all offended that I dare mention my Evo as a more practical substitute made me think that.
map002
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by map002 »

I blame all of my own personal problems on Sweetypie's phone.

Thank you.

Michael
Farsquidge
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Farsquidge »

Its that sock she carries it everywhere in that you sold her Michael.

Should have been a size smaller! ;-)

Return to “Archos 5 Internet Tablet with Android”