It is kind of a shame.....

Archos Android Tablet available now 8GB ($189), 16GB ($229), 32GB ($258), 160GB ($310), 500GB ($349)
mikekoz
Archos User
Archos User

It is kind of a shame.....

Post by mikekoz »

I have had my 16GB A5A now for a while, and although I like it, it is far from perfect. It does several things really well (photos, light internet use, music, video) and some things not so well (GPS). Every firmware update seems to fix some problems, and cause new ones. The reason for this thread is that I just upgraded my mobile phone, and thought I would get an Android phone. I chose the HTC EVO with Sprint. I have only had it a few weeks, but this thing has knocked my socks off! I just want to give a quick comparison of the two devices, where it is fair to compare them. Here we go:

1. Screen: The HTC has a 4.3 inch screen, but it is the same resolution as the Archos. The Archos is bigger, but that is the only feature of the LCD where the Archos would win. The HTC is the first device that I can truly say has a touch screen that is just as good as an Apple device. It is very smooth and responsive, and it is a multitouch screen!
2. Internal speaker: The HTC blows the A5 away. The Archos speaker is too weak.
3. GPS: The HTC came with Google Navigation and Sprint Navigation, and they both work very well. The Sprint app is a little slow. This I can not really compare with the A5 since the phone has 3G and 4G service. I put Copilot and Sygic on it just for laughs and guess what...the GPS connects in both apps within 15 seconds!!

Some things I am still playing with. But why couldnt Archos make a device of this quality minus the phone?? I wish HTC would make an internet tablet device. It would rock! I am not bashing my Archos, but this phone may make my A5 obsolete!!
macr0t0r
Archos User
Archos User

Re: It is kind of a shame.....

Post by macr0t0r »

Well, I suppose you could also ask why HTC costs over $500 yet doesn't have the Archos video decoding capability. Everything is a compromise.
- Jim (A5 8GB)
gschier
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by gschier »

cellphones can also find a relative position by using the cellular towers (somehow), and also a few other tricks. But since the Archos 5 doesn't have cellular capabilities we are out of luck.

Search A-GPS and you'll know what I mean.

Edit: here's a good link to better inform you. http://www.wmexperts.com/articles/gps_v ... orial.html
32GB A5A Owner
mikekoz
Archos User
Archos User

Post by mikekoz »

macr0t0r wrote:Well, I suppose you could also ask why HTC costs over $500 yet doesn't have the Archos video decoding capability. Everything is a compromise.

The HTC was $200.00. Like any phone, you have to sign a contract, but if you need a phone anyway, this is a bargain.
mikekoz
Archos User
Archos User

Post by mikekoz »

gschier wrote:cellphones can also find a relative position by using the cellular towers (somehow), and also a few other tricks. But since the Archos 5 doesn't have cellular capabilities we are out of luck.

Edit: here's a good link to better inform you. http://www.wmexperts.com/articles/gps_v ... orial.html

The HTC has a GPS chip, just like the A5A. You get an almost instant connection even with all the wireless features turned off. Thanks for the link. I will give it a read!
mikekoz
Archos User
Archos User

Post by mikekoz »

macr0t0r wrote:Well, I suppose you could also ask why HTC costs over $500 yet doesn't have the Archos video decoding capability. Everything is a compromise.

I am not sure what the HTC will play as far as video. I am sure the Archos has it beat in that regard, but that is not overly important to me. These devices do not have a lot of storage space on them for a lot of movies anyway. One thing I also forgot to mention is that the HTC does Youtube quite a bit better also!
mikekoz
Archos User
Archos User

Post by mikekoz »

gschier wrote:cellphones can also find a relative position by using the cellular towers (somehow), and also a few other tricks. But since the Archos 5 doesn't have cellular capabilities we are out of luck.

That was interesting! Never heard of that up until now. I am going to have to investigate my HTC a bit. I am still going to assume it has a dedicated GPS chip since there is an option in the device to turn it on or off. Thank you!!
Farsquidge
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Farsquidge »

The EVO does not have a separate GPS chip.

Most modern cellphones have a single multi-function core processor that has all the necessary hardware onboard. The EVO utilises the Qualcomm QSD 8650 'Snapdragon' processor and this is one of those.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snapdragon_(processor)

This enables the interaction between GPS<>GPS handler software<>GPRS for A-GPS quick location.

The only extra piece required for the GPS is the antenna which is usually a PIFA (planar inverted-F antenna).

If ya really want a mind [email protected] http://www.qsl.net/va3iul/Antenna/PIFA/ ... ntenna.pdf

Soz, I'm an OLD Radio amateur and XDA Dev....
605Wi, A5IMT, A5IT, A7o 8GB:2.4.82
map002
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by map002 »

mikekoz wrote:The HTC was $200.00. Like any phone, you have to sign a contract, but if you need a phone anyway, this is a bargain.
The cost of the phone is built into your contract and is a lot more than $600. If you bought the phone straight out, you'd get it for $600. You're paying a lot more than that by only paying $200 up front.

And the A5A is a much better media player. The phone in question has nothing like the A5A's DSP chip, has nothing like the AMC to handle a broad range of codecs and can only handle simple profile HD. The first Android devices that will (potentially) have multimedia performance rivalling or surpassing the A5A are the upcoming Tegra2 devices.

That said, the HTC is a much better general Android device.

I look forward to being able to buy a no-compromise Android tablet with great multi-codec multimedia performance, but there ain't any such animal right now.

Michael
hauk
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by hauk »

Don't forget, the A5A was released in September 2009, and the Evo in June 2010. Tech moves fast.
map002
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by map002 »

...And in spite of that, the A5A is *still* a better multi-codec multimedia device. Sad, ain't it?

Michael
jeremiah_mn
Archos User
Archos User

Post by jeremiah_mn »

$600? The evo is $449 to buy outright? And granted I didn't try out every video format out there. It played all the different video formats I tried. (Same videos I play on the archos, divx movies off of the interweb)

Thing is just blazing fast too. I hate sprint, and am a tmobile user. I think I'm about to pull the trigger on a winmobile htc hd2 tomorow so I can stop carrying 2 devices. The screen is pretty close to the same size. And within days there will be a stable android rom for the htc hd2 as well. (Beta rom is working pretty good, but not quite ready for daily use from what I seen on my friends phones)
Farsquidge
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Farsquidge »

jeremiah_mn wrote:Thing is just blazing fast too. I hate sprint, and am a tmobile user. I think I'm about to pull the trigger on a winmobile htc hd2 tomorow so I can stop carrying 2 devices. The screen is pretty close to the same size. And within days there will be a stable android rom for the htc hd2 as well. (Beta rom is working pretty good, but not quite ready for daily use from what I seen on my friends phones)
I advise you not to think of a HD2 flashed with an Android cooked ROM. The reason the HD2 was never officially sanctioned for an Android update from HTC was for certain hardware incompatabilities that leave power consumption so high that the unit will completely discharge in a few hours! People are still trying to solve this in XDA and other forums.

For business, I find the stock WWE Winmo ROM on the HD2 a good compliment to my A5A Android as Bluetooth Dial-up-networking (BT DUN) is seamless between them.
jeremiah_mn
Archos User
Archos User

Post by jeremiah_mn »

Farsquidge wrote:
jeremiah_mn wrote:Thing is just blazing fast too. I hate sprint, and am a tmobile user. I think I'm about to pull the trigger on a winmobile htc hd2 tomorow so I can stop carrying 2 devices. The screen is pretty close to the same size. And within days there will be a stable android rom for the htc hd2 as well. (Beta rom is working pretty good, but not quite ready for daily use from what I seen on my friends phones)
I advise you not to think of a HD2 flashed with an Android cooked ROM. The reason the HD2 was never officially sanctioned for an Android update from HTC was for certain hardware incompatabilities that leave power consumption so high that the unit will completely discharge in a few hours! People are still trying to solve this in XDA and other forums.

For business, I find the stock WWE Winmo ROM on the HD2 a good compliment to my A5A Android as Bluetooth Dial-up-networking (BT DUN) is seamless between them.
I'm not suggesting that I'd buy it with the intention of only using android on it.. I'd be fine with winmo, does everything I need. Third party media player will play any media I've thrown at it so far, but if/when they have a stable android release I'd certainly run that on it as I like the android os... I think the power consumption issues will be resolved. I would think that if they were not something that could be resolved with software, the developers working on it would already know this and wouldn't be putting so much effort into it.
map002
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by map002 »

Throw a medium bitrate complex profile 720p h264 video at it and you can see what I mean. The A5A will play it like a champ. The Evo will cough up blood, like just about any other Android device at present.

Again, the Evo's great at being an Android phone/mini-tablet and if it's multimedia chops meet your needs, that's great. But the A5A is still a better multi-codec HD multimedia device and nothing will touch it until Q3/Q4 of this year.

Michael
Farsquidge
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Farsquidge »

+1 to Micheal

Without a doubt.
mikekoz
Archos User
Archos User

Post by mikekoz »

map002 wrote:Throw a medium bitrate complex profile 720p h264 video at it and you can see what I mean. The A5A will play it like a champ. The Evo will cough up blood, like just about any other Android device at present.

Again, the Evo's great at being an Android phone/mini-tablet and if it's multimedia chops meet your needs, that's great. But the A5A is still a better multi-codec HD multimedia device and nothing will touch it until Q3/Q4 of this year.

Michael

What you say is true. However for me, the EVO is working out better than my Archos. I do not use the device for video that much, other than some short clips I downloaded from Youtube. The only audio format I really care about is mp3. I actually bought a 250Gb Archos A5 for video, but have not used it much. The hardware in the EVO is better than the Archos and it works better than the A5A with what I do with it. It is a much more stable device out of the box, and I have yet to apply a firmware upgrade to it. A lot of folks are having issues with Archos devices. Just look at Amazon's reviews and you will see what I mean. I still like the A5A, but it can be a better device than what it is, and until Archos fixes the buggy hardware, they will never compete with other companies like Apple for market share.
mrnoname
Archos User
Archos User

Post by mrnoname »

With RockPlayer the Evo can play just about anything, although Ive never tried anything 720P since I dont have the HDMI cable. I dont see the big complaint with the Archos GPS. I understand that since it has it and people paid for it, that they want it. But, seeings as my Evo is far better at utilizing the GPS I see no reason to use the Archos as a GPS. The fact the Evo has 3/4G alone makes it more worthwhile as a gps. The Archos is a Media Player that just happens to be capable of doing other things, whats the big deal?
sweetypie
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by sweetypie »

mrnoname wrote: I dont see the big complaint with the Archos GPS. I understand that since it has it and people paid for it, that they want it. But, seeings as my Evo is far better at utilizing the GPS I see no reason to use the Archos as a GPS.
Err...

The big complaint with the Archos GPS is that people who have bought it don't have an Evo.

Or did Archos give you a free Evo when you bought your Archos?
mrnoname
Archos User
Archos User

Post by mrnoname »

Are you telling me, you do not have a GPS enabled phone? Every phone ive had in the last 4 years has had feature rich GPS software. By your snide remark and tone, im assuming you traveled from a past where GPS technology is expensive or doesnt exist, or you still use a Zack Morris phone?

Return to “Archos 5 Internet Tablet with Android”