Firmware Version 2.0.28/1.9.21 Released - report bugs here

Archos Android Tablet available now 8GB ($189), 16GB ($229), 32GB ($258), 160GB ($310), 500GB ($349)
triplethreat
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Re: Firmware Version 2.0.28/1.9.21 Released - report bugs he

Post by triplethreat »

Screen blanking lost?

When I allow the screen to be blanked, either by short-pressing the power button or allowing the timer to blank the screen, the screen will go blank for only a few seconds (2 to 5 or so). Then the screen pops back on. This happens when I'm running on battery or plugged in with the mini dock or to a PC with a USB cable. I reverted back to FW ver 1.9.14 and the problem went away.

I've tried updating to both new versions- 1.9.21 and 2.0.28. I'm running a 32Gb A5IT.

triple threat
map002
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by map002 »

Major Cynic wrote:To me that confirms what we all know - Archos is wholly reliant its "love in community" to test its updates (unlike every other manufacturer in the world)
You've obviously not bought many M$ products in the last 20 years... ;)

Michael
Farsquidge
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Farsquidge »

map002 wrote: You've obviously not bought many M$ products in the last 20 years... ;)

Michael
Or checked out all the forums for all devices out there! You should really look at the Apple forum, makes all my woes dissappear in a flash! (sorry about the pun) ;-)
605Wi, A5IMT, A5IT, A7o 8GB:2.4.82
microbe
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by microbe »

every now and then (once every couple of days in average) my A5 completely shuts down after entering sleep or deep sleep state. when i try to wake it up, i'm actually powering it on...
not sure though if this bug was introduced in the latest (or even 2.x) firmware.
Major Cynic
Archos User
Archos User

Post by Major Cynic »

This is my last word on the subject of auto downloads except to tell you when 2.0.28 is finally made available by Archos to all its customers.

My complaint is simply that Archos puts out firmware updates that it doesn't tell its customers about. I know of no other computer/phone/gadget maker who does not have simultaneous availability and/or email info about updates being available to all - not the "luvvies" and their BB's alone (and I have bought many gizmos and also financed software companies and have always insisted on "involve your customers" as part of the business plan).

It is outrageous that whilst they say "The firmware is the operating system. As any computer system, it is periodically updated. We strongly suggest you update yours as soon as the latest one is released" they don't trust what they put out and don't tell the majority of their customers. Then they can't even be bothered to OTA it within 24/48/72 hours - proving they have no confidence in the product or what!

You and I might read these boards out of interest and therefore pick up on what they are doing; but Archos have the most dreadful customer follow up of any gadget I have ever bought - i.e. not a single email since I bought it - and equals lousy customer relations in the long run. Just look at their website and the falsity of the stockists - anyone else physically looked in the UK or US stores listed and found the same non-stocking as I have?

As for the Apple forum, it speaks for itself - it is the ultimate dream of Archos! Get your customers to be fanatics who buy each and every machine you make whether they need it or not (or whether it works or not viz: antenna and AT&T problem) because they are pure PR believers - a marketing man's dream!

Having blown the A5A first mover advantage, Archos are now too small to play in the non niche market and all their products are now "me-too" given the meteoric rise of smart phones.

They will survive only if they give post purchase customer service - and it costs almost nothing - and stop living on their past successes in the MP3 player market (just look at their June 2010 statement to the French stock exchange - pathetic and all about what history and not a real word about the future).

I fear their investors will not stump up the money for the "next generation" products and my A5A will be like my precursor Psion 5 - loved and every day praying it doesn't break down.

In the meantime their failure to provide an OTA update for 2.0.28 is a bug that needs fixing!
sweetypie
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by sweetypie »

Major Cynic wrote:
My complaint is simply that Archos puts out firmware updates that it doesn't tell its customers about. I know of no other computer/phone/gadget maker who does not have simultaneous availability and/or email info about updates being available to all...
Nokia do exactly the same as Archos. In exactly the same way as happens here, all my nokia N97 Firmware updates have been notified to users on a Nokia forum by an alert user. This "heads up" by a non Nokia person lets us know that the update is available on the support website, ready for download. Some time later it is made available OTA.

In fact, sometimes the FW update is available on the website, then withdrawn, and never does appear OTA (or ever again in some cases).
macr0t0r
Archos User
Archos User

Post by macr0t0r »

How about a compromise on OTA? We have this thing called a "beta." Archos should use it! Works great for Firefox. Firmware marked as "beta" would require a download, but any "released" firmware would see OTA in a timely manner. (I understand that they have to spread it out a LITTLE bit for the servers).
Beta and Released firmware would be shown on the website.

It would be kind of comforting to know just how "polished" a firmware release is anyways. Besides, wouldn't it be advantageous for Archos to release beta firmware for us techies that are eager to try out new features and report back? Sure, we'll still complain a bit, but at least we can't claim we didn't know what we were getting into.
- Jim (A5 8GB)
Farsquidge
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Farsquidge »

Hmmm, not a bad idea!

Take it one step futher and BETA is released here for us dummies to evaluate and polished firmware goes on Archos site and OTA.

Err, one drawback, WHEN is the firmware declared NOT BETA.... 8-p
silvio000
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by silvio000 »

keeping moderators with suicidal tendencies...... nice
macr0t0r
Archos User
Archos User

Post by macr0t0r »

silvio000 wrote:keeping moderators with suicidal tendencies...... nice
Wha? Posted in the wrong thread, perhaps?
- Jim (A5 8GB)
AllenPapapetrou
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by AllenPapapetrou »

Per this being "bugs" topic: I don't regard delayed OTA as a bug. Forced update would be be a bug IMO.

Allen
-An old geek 8)
5IT|A70S|A101
map002
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by map002 »

macr0t0r wrote:
Moderator indicating that they may have purchased M$ software in the last 20 years = Suicidal.

Come to think of it, that might be the most sensible thing written in this thread to date. :D

Michael
map002
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by map002 »

macr0t0r wrote:We have this thing called a "beta." Archos should use it!
Archos does have a Beta testing program. What they do not have are public Betas.

Michael
the_esmeister
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by the_esmeister »

Hey everyone, I just got a new 32gb A5A last Thursday and,I put the latest firmware on it and the market hack, and I'm loving it so far.
There's just one thing that bugs me (besides low volume) is that recently it just started to simply suspend itself every 60 sec or so while playing media.

This is a major issue for me as I want to listen to music and watch videos without having to press the power button to wake it every 60 sec.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
map002
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by map002 »

Use the Archos Media Center app to play your media and don't kill the Wizard process with any task killer.

Michael
hauk
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by hauk »

triplethreat wrote:Screen blanking lost?

When I allow the screen to be blanked, either by short-pressing the power button or allowing the timer to blank the screen, the screen will go blank for only a few seconds (2 to 5 or so). Then the screen pops back on. This happens when I'm running on battery or plugged in with the mini dock or to a PC with a USB cable. I reverted back to FW ver 1.9.14 and the problem went away.

I've tried updating to both new versions- 1.9.21 and 2.0.28. I'm running a 32Gb A5IT.

triple threat
Do you use Advanced Task Manager? I find that on this (and possibly other 2.x.x) firmware, when I hit my Kill All widget and then immediately power, it will do what you are describing. If I give it time for the notification at the bottom to clear or don't hit Kill All at all, then it stays off. On previous firmwares it stayed off even when I didn't wait for the "Killed X applications" notification to clear. Minor annoyance.

microbe wrote:every now and then (once every couple of days in average) my A5 completely shuts down after entering sleep or deep sleep state. when i try to wake it up, i'm actually powering it on...
not sure though if this bug was introduced in the latest (or even 2.x) firmware.
This is happening to me as well. It's hard to pin down a time since it's an intermittent problem, but it seems to me it started with 2.0.28. I was previously on 2.0.15 - skipped 2.0.21. This is a problem that used to happen occasionally with earlier firmwares, then got ironed out somewhere along the line - now it's back.
Farsquidge
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Farsquidge »

As Michael previously stated...
Using 'Kill all apps' will cause many unusual things to occur as you are killing the Archos 'Wizard' app that handles many Android<>Archos interactive control functions.

Make sure the Wizard is not cancelled and put it on an exception list within your app manager if you can.
silvio000
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by silvio000 »

macr0t0r wrote:
Nah, just a reminder of how annoying things can get when people start to become drama queens.... good thing i'm not a moderator so i don't have to read everything.... ;-)
triplethreat
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by triplethreat »

re: screen blanking
Do you use Advanced Task Manager? I find that on this (and possibly other 2.x.x) firmware, when I hit my Kill All widget and then immediately power, it will do what you are describing. If I give it time for the notification at the bottom to clear or don't hit Kill All at all, then it stays off. On previous firmwares it stayed off even when I didn't wait for the "Killed X applications" notification to clear. Minor annoyance.
Many thanks, hauk. I don't use the "Kill all" widget but I do use Advanced Task Manager and I had it set to Auto Kill. I turned off the Auto Kill and now all is good. Woo hoo!

triple threat
Major Cynic
Archos User
Archos User

Post by Major Cynic »

Bug cured!

Today Archos have finally made available this update as OTA.

Let us hope the next one will be quicker -even simultaneous.

Michael: If as you say they have beta testers before any release, then there is no excuse for not having it OTA at the same time as posted on their website - server bandwidth problems are just so much hogwash in the context of "keep your customer informed and happy" - all they have to do is put it on www.box.net for less than $500 bucks per annum (in total not per user!).

Return to “Archos 5 Internet Tablet with Android”