Firmware 2.0.15 GPS lock improvement?

Archos Android Tablet available now 8GB ($189), 16GB ($229), 32GB ($258), 160GB ($310), 500GB ($349)
shitepoke
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Firmware 2.0.15 GPS lock improvement?

Post by shitepoke »

Hi guys,

Too early to tell, but last night I couldn't get a lock in my hotel room, while trying a wardrive app...

Today, after the firmware update, I get a lock in 30 seconds. and this is inside the room!

Hope this is not a fluke!

Cheers
Archos 5IT
shitepoke
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Re: Firmware 2.0.15 GPS lock improvement?

Post by shitepoke »

WOW,

I did a cold reboot, and my GPSDiag locked in 21 seconds!

WOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOO

(inside my room!)

I think the performance is real...
Archos 5IT
gschier
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by gschier »

I hope it's true. I'll try it out once I get out of this concrete building.
32GB A5A Owner
propking
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by propking »

GPS lock is a tad better for me. Takes about 2 minutes to lock inside. Usually took anywhere from 3 to 5 minutes before. I'd say a 50% improvement.
SvenC
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by SvenC »

No lock here...
I don't know. But the locking did not work on my device since beginning. Never, not inside, not on street.
It seems Germany has problems with the GPS system.... or my city...or I don't know.
AllenPapapetrou
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by AllenPapapetrou »

Using GPS Diag it found my 5IT in 2 minutes. First time that's happened in months. Of course, I always remember Buster's animated satellite post showing that time of year and time of day and ground location have a lot to do with it.

I used my 5IT indoors where I usually do my initial testing.

Allen
-An old geek 8)
5IT|A70S|A101
shitepoke
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by shitepoke »

AllenPapapetrou wrote:Using GPS Diag it found my 5IT in 2 minutes. First time that's happened in months. Of course, I always remember Buster's animated satellite post showing that time of year and time of day and ground location have a lot to do with it.

Allen
Aloha Allen,

I took my 5IT into the car tonight in southern RI and it locked in about 10 seconds, no kidding! Solid lock on the dash (I do not have a windshield mount)

I must be in a dream world... something just clicked with this firmware, and my locks are super fast and accurate...

GPSDiag consistently shows 8-10 satellites locked. nDrive only shows about 4-5, and I don't know why (other than nDrive is crap) but even nDrive 9 locked in under a minute!

Pinch me...
Archos 5IT
julian2875
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by julian2875 »

yea but watz the point when copilot is dead w 2.1.5
shitepoke
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by shitepoke »

julian2875 wrote:yea but watz the point when copilot is dead w 2.1.5
Geocache Apps, Wardrive Apps... and um, nDrive (lol)

I am sorry to hear copilot does not support the new FW. Perhaps it has to do with the new fullscreen mode (openGL). Please try FW 1.9.10 and see if copilot works. If so, then ALK needs to do something to support fullscreen mode perhaps.

Cheers
Archos 5IT
AllenPapapetrou
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

shitepoke wrote:
AllenPapapetrou wrote:Using GPS Diag it found my 5IT in 2 minutes. First time that's happened in months. Of course, I always remember Buster's animated satellite post showing that time of year and time of day and ground location have a lot to do with it.

Allen
Aloha Allen,

I took my 5IT into the car tonight in southern RI and it locked in about 10 seconds, no kidding! Solid lock on the dash (I do not have a windshield mount)

I must be in a dream world... something just clicked with this firmware, and my locks are super fast and accurate...

GPSDiag consistently shows 8-10 satellites locked. nDrive only shows about 4-5, and I don't know why (other than nDrive is crap) but even nDrive 9 locked in under a minute!

Pinch me...
Ain't it cool, shitepoke! Ain't it cool!

We might be able to use GPS after all.

THANK YOU ARCHOS DEVS!

Allen
-An old geek 8)
5IT|A70S|A101
Gabriel1964
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Gabriel1964 »

julian2875 wrote:yea but watz the point when copilot is dead w 2.1.5

Please see http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=34037. CoPilot works with firmware 1.9.10 (all bug fixes no Open GL) and Archos did state on their download page that not all programs would work with the new Open GL firmware (Download Page/Open GL Learn More link)
Ingott77
Archos User
Archos User

Post by Ingott77 »

_
Ain't it cool, shitepoke! Ain't it cool!

We might be able to use GPS after all.

THANK YOU ARCHOS DEVS!

Allen
Thank You ? For something that should have worked when you brought it.............

Ingott
_
trainman24
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by trainman24 »

i got my first time ever, a 5 bar lock. And guess what color the bars are at 5: yellow.............Jim
shitepoke
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by shitepoke »

Wow, position of sats plays a role in the lock time on this device. Perhaps Archos can focus on a better lock algorithim)

Another poster mentioned time of day/geographic location plays a role, and I agree. Late last night, it took 202 seconds to get a lock, but this morning, it was 89 seconds. (both inside)

Outside, it takes 30 seconds or less sometimes now. A big improvement over the prior revs.

Anyone else seeing improvement?

Cheers
Archos 5IT
Aranur
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Aranur »

Why Archos doesn't noticed this incredible improvement in the Changelog?
AllenPapapetrou
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Aranur wrote:Why Archos doesn't noticed this incredible improvement in the Changelog?
Why?

Over the months GPS has been a sore point for some here. Archos has announced GPS improvements in the past and folks here had mixed results leading to a lot of criticism leveled at Archos. I figure they'd rather get praise for something they didn't announce than blame for something they announced.

Allen
-An old geek 8)
5IT|A70S|A101
SvenC
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by SvenC »

NO GPS locking here.;)

Tried for 3 hours.
map002
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by map002 »

I suspect that it's not noted in the changelog because the GPS improvements are most likely incidental.

Shifting a lot of the Android video rendering chores onto the DSP frees up the CPU. That should make time-critical CPU-intensive stuff like satellite locks work better.

It's still not going to be great because the antenna's still not best-of-class, but it should help.

Of course GPS has always worked well enough for me, but that's also because I'm seldom in a hurry... :D

Michael
davep1
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by davep1 »

map002 wrote:I suspect that it's not noted in the changelog because the GPS improvements are most likely incidental.
And probably, to a large extent, circumstantial and anecdotal, especially since I have been reading posts about both GPS improvement and GPS degradation with each and every firmware release.

People need to remember that GPS is, in part, affected by where you are (a clear view of the Southern sky helps in the Northern hemisphere), but it is also greatly affected by where the satellites are at the time you are trying to get a fix. The GPS satellites are in low Earth orbit, not in geosynchronous orbit, so they are all in motion relative to the Earth and each time you turn on your GPS the satellites which are in range will be at different distances from you and at different angles above the horizon.
OldGdgtGuy 8gA5
Archastic
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Archastic »

Imo wouldn't it be better if people stated beside the amount of time it took to get a lock, also put their location.
Because I think that there is a huge difference between Europe and Northern America.

Return to “Archos 5 Internet Tablet with Android”