Using the A5A as a car media center

Archos Android Tablet available now 8GB ($189), 16GB ($229), 32GB ($258), 160GB ($310), 500GB ($349)
ixtroisy
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Using the A5A as a car media center

Post by ixtroisy »

Hi,

I've bought a couple of LCD headrest screens for my kid, hook them up together and to the car power, with a control box in a compartment of my central console. That's an incredible ammount of cabling, but the good thing is that I could hide most of it under the console and still have my connection easily accessible just in case... and I can output the Archos video to the screen, though with some quality downgrade because I only have RCA video input for the LCDs... Anyway, a BIG success!

A couple of thing are though not too optimal.
- Screens are facing rear, so it's not really practical to set up a movie if you have to go in all the menus with the control pad (Archos in output mode). I was hoping for a way to start and pause the movie before connecting it to my battery dock (for A/V connection as well as battery boost), but when it's pluged I see on the LCDs, that it's back to the home screen, and I have to navigate with several clicks before I get my movie back. Anybody has a clue how to play a movie with a minimal of interactions (ideally just a tap on the Archos for play/pause), once you switch the video output? (note that I had a similar issue once I hooked it to a TV and my cable was too short to properly see the TV screen: controlling the TV from the Archos screen is very annoying then)
- What's the best way to charge the battery dock in a car? The car adapter works for the Archos, but not for the dock. Could it be charged via usb?
map002
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Re: Using the A5A as a car media center

Post by map002 »

As far as charging goes, there are plenty of auto A/C adapters which will supply the power and tip type for the battery dock. A look through an auto accessory site should turn up some good candidates for that.

Michael
ixtroisy
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by ixtroisy »

Yes I guess, but I have already so many chargers (netbook, gps, Archos, USB...) that I was hoping to reuse the USB adapter to recharge the battery dock (it says DC input: 5V). I should work, but has anyone tried it?
AllenPapapetrou
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by AllenPapapetrou »

Or you can get an DC/AC inverter from Radio Shack and plug in the Battery Dock's PS to it.

Allen
-An old geek 8)
5IT|A70S|A101
ixtroisy
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by ixtroisy »

I have one and that would work too; however, I wish to actually sell it because it wastes even more of that precious car space.
I'll give a try with a USB cable.
gschier
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by gschier »

You could hook up yet a 3rd screen and put it in your steering wheel :P
Umm... If you click into your list of movies and hover over the one you want it should still be in that position when you plug it into the dock am I right? So all you would have to do is push enter. This is assuming your "control pad" is referring to the one that comes with the dvr dock?
32GB A5A Owner
ixtroisy
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by ixtroisy »

No I'm using a battery dock, and I'm refering the Archos itself as a control pad/mouse/pointer... (sensitive black screen), once the output is redirect to the LCD.
So far, even if I start a movie, switching the output also send me back to the home page; I was wondering if there was one way to actually stay in the Archos media center movie play back.
gschier
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by gschier »

How old is your kid? You can connect a wiimote to the archos for easy navigation so maybe you could teach your kid how to use it if he/she's old enough.
32GB A5A Owner
ixtroisy
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by ixtroisy »

That's actually an interesting idea I'd like to try: no need for an additional Bluetooth device;) Is there a Wiimote app (or PS3 controller app) that could handle that?
gschier
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by gschier »

Yea, there's a wiimote app available on the Google MarketPlace. It allows you to map each Wiimote button to a button in Android so you could rig it up to be able to control the menus and stuff.

You can take a look at the following topics http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.p ... te#p225640
http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.p ... te#p221488

Let us know if you run into any problems

~Gregory
32GB A5A Owner
ixtroisy
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by ixtroisy »

Hi,

I had an exam and I passed!

So coming back to recharging the battery dock in the car, it won't work with USB. I tried. As for modifying a USB cable with a plug tip, it's probably a bad idea since I believe the battery dock can suck up 1.5 to 2A (might blow my car charger to USB adapter).

Back to square one. Have any of you found a suitable car charger for the battery dock?

map002
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by map002 »

I guess that means all the other suggestions above are still out for you?

Michael

Return to “Archos 5 Internet Tablet with Android”