About Power Supply

Archos Android Tablet available now 8GB ($189), 16GB ($229), 32GB ($258), 160GB ($310), 500GB ($349)
Pergi
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

About Power Supply

Post by Pergi »

Hello,

I am thinking of buying the Archos 5 Internet Tablet with Android, and for this reason i would like to ask a question about the power supply issue.

As we all know, having a battery in a constant charge state will reduce its life and its autonomy. So is there a way to supply power to A5A, without using the battery?

For example, in Laptops (Notebooks, Netbooks etc) we can remove the battery and connect it to a power source via a wall socket in order to have a working device without destroying its battery.

I am asking this because i want to connect the A5A with a TV when i am home, and maybe on it a keyboard and a mouse, in order to convert it to a sort of Desktop Computer.

Thanks in advance,
Pergi
map002
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Re: About Power Supply

Post by map002 »

No, sorry.

Michael
boep
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by boep »

Well you could open up the Archos and - there is a simple Battery in it - you could place a microswitch into the plus or minus-line between the battery and the motherboard. Thats the way i would try it as an electro Technichian.

But i give you no warranty that the archos will work with this modification, because i dont know how it gets his power. Its possible that the power input runs over that battery to the motherboard. Or the Archos wont start without battery voltage. There are several possibilties why it wont work.

I think the Archos 9 would be a better Option for you? As far as I know it has a replaceable Batterypack.

(Sorry for my terrible english, im from Germany)
Greetings.
Pergi
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Pergi »

@boep
Thanks for your answer! Well, i don't think that i will try to implement the idea that you came with, because i am such a newbie in electronics. Anyway, like you mentioned, the Archos maybe work like the mobile phones. Without battery, even if they are connected to a power source, they are not able to turn on.

About the Archos 9 that you proposed, i don't like it very much because it has Hard Disk Drive and not Flash Drive, it has 9" touch screen that is huge for real portability, and last it runs Windows 7. For me, Windows is not the proper OS for this kind of devices.

@map002
Michael, i read about the accessories of Archos.
"The battery dock has a battery that can be charged to extend run time of your Archos".
This means that you use the battery that relies on the battery dock and the battery of the A5A.

"The battery dock allows you to charge the device with an AC power supply"
So if you have connected the battery dock with a AC power supply, and remove the internal battery of A5A, again it won't work, right?

Something last, the packet of A5A, includes only a USB Cable in order to charge it from a USB port of a computer? There is not another option? Like a charger of mobile phones?

map002
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by map002 »

The battery of the device is not meant to be user-removable. If you've got mad HW hacking skills, all bets are off. I'm only answering from the perspective of the average user.

Michael
sweetypie
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by sweetypie »

The Archos doesn't run off the battery dock. The battery dock charges the Archos Internal battery. When you plug the battery dock into the mains, the mains charges the battery dock, the battery dock charges the Archos battery, and the Archos runs off its own battery.

EDIT: If you have a mains charger that came with, say, an iPhone or a Nokia N97, which have a micro USB plug, then you can use it to charge your A5IT.
Pergi
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Pergi »

@map002
Thanks Michael. You were very clear.

@sweetypie
Thanks sweetypie for your reply. I haven't any charger that has micro USB, so the only way to charge the A5A will be using the USB Cable connected to a PC.
map002
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by map002 »

As an aside, I will point out that the A5A does manage its charging to keep the heat down and that as long you discharge the battery to around 40% or so once a week (but to 15% the first few weeks), the battery seems to be holding up pretty well even when plugged in for extended periods. I've been using it that way since last November and still have good battery life.

Michael
Pergi
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Pergi »

@map002
You mean that if generally i leave the battery to be discharged completely before i charge it again, and from time to time, i leave it for an extended period plugged in, it will still remain in good levels of autonomy?
map002
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by map002 »

No, I never said anything about discharging the battery completely. Please read my post again, it was pretty specific.

Michael
jschall
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by jschall »

@sweetypie wrote:
"If you have a mains charger that came with, say, an iPhone or a Nokia N97, which have a micro USB plug, then you can use it to charge your A5IT."

@Pergi wrote:
"I haven't any charger that has micro USB, so the only way to charge the A5A will be using the USB Cable connected to a PC."

Gentlemen, let's be clear. The A5A comes with a USB-to-MICRO-USB cable. It is normally used as Pergi understood - to plug into a USB port on your PC, where it serves to both charge your A5A and transfer files from PC to A5A.

But as Sweetypie suggested, you can use that SAME cable to charge the A5A from a mains charger that has a standard USB port. In my case I was fortunate to have such a charger on hand - the one that came with my old (2006) iPAQ. Similar USB chargers are available at electronics stores - they are sold as chargers for Blackberry phones, but they should be fine for the A5A. Just check the output is 5V DC 1A.

Here is one at Future Shop, for example:
http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/ ... 2b7892en02

Hope that helps Pergi decide to go for it!

- Jeff
- Jeff
gschier
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by gschier »

As we all know, having a battery in a constant charge state will reduce its life and its autonomy. So is there a way to supply power to A5A, without using the battery?
I'm no expert on this topic but I thought I'd put my two cents in. To my knowledge, when something like a laptop is done charging the battery it stops and switches to a state where the battery is not being used, nor charged and the laptop is running only off of the power supply itself. I am pretty sure the A5A would do the same so there shouldn't be a need to worry about the battery being in constant charge state and being overcharged.

However, If you are charging it via USB while using the device to watch a movie, listen to music, etc, the power it receives from USB may not be enough so it will be draining the battery while at the same time charging it. If you watch a 720p movie with sound and wifi on while plugged into USB you will see the battery level decrease slowly. I would avoid doing this if at all possible.

The docks supply much more power so they don't have this problem, so I recommend using a dock to charge your device if you're going to be using it at the same time.

~Gregory
32GB A5A Owner
map002
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by map002 »

Actually, the device gets a lot hotter when charging via the Docks and fast charging and heat are detrimental to batteries in the long run.

For the longest battery life, you're better off with regular charging via USB and charging via Dock only when it's needed.

Michael
Pergi
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Pergi »

@jschall
Thank you sir. To be honest, i have never seen a charger like the one that you gave in the link. It can be very useful in some situations.

@gschier
I agree with you about how the laptop's battery works. I am not an expert too, but it seems logical to me.
On the other hand, as map002 mentioned, when charging the A5A with a Dock, leads to a faster charging, so to a increased heat. This is not good for the battery's life.

Maybe the solution for me is somewhere in the middle. Charging the A5A with a USB Cable until it is fully charged. For example. if we need to connect it on a TV, then it is better to have connected the USB Cable and simultaneously perform our job. With this way, we won't consume all the power that the battery has and as long as the battery is Li-poly, we can charge it if it is not fully discharged without really harming it (this is the advantage of lithium-ion batteries). No use of Dock in this situation in order to avoid the over heat.

If you have any other suggestions, please be free to reply :)

PS: First time on this Forum, because i haven't any Archos product, and i am very excited about the community that exists.
sweetypie
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by sweetypie »

I've never charged using the USB cable and a laptop. I've had my A605 for over 3 years, and always charged it on the DVR station, and occasionally the battery dock. Still as good as new.

Ditto my A5IT, but it's only been 6 months so far. I recommend you just enjoy it any way you want. Life's too short.
Alzbeta
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Alzbeta »

jschall wrote: Similar USB chargers are available at electronics stores - they are sold as chargers for Blackberry phones, but they should be fine for the A5A. Just check the output is 5V DC 1A.

- Jeff
I have a wall charger that came with my Verizon LG Touch that I have been using. Just checked it and it's 5.1V 0.7A. Can I use that or should I stop?
A5A 160GB
davep1
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by davep1 »

Alzbeta wrote:
jschall wrote: Similar USB chargers are available at electronics stores - they are sold as chargers for Blackberry phones, but they should be fine for the A5A. Just check the output is 5V DC 1A.

- Jeff
I have a wall charger that came with my Verizon LG Touch that I have been using. Just checked it and it's 5.1V 0.7A. Can I use that or should I stop?
0.7A should be fine. The USB standard output from a computer is 0.5A but I also use a 1A charger and have encountered no problems over the better part of a year.

One note for those who are plugging into a computer for charging purposes. If you are using a USB hub, unless it has its own power supply it may not be supplying a full 0.5A to every USB port. Also some peripherals which offer USB ports (like a keyboard) may not output the full 0.5A. It's best to plug your A5 directly into the computer chassis.
OldGdgtGuy 8gA5
Phreddo
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Phreddo »

I left my device in the DVR dock as a dedicated media player for streaming content, and after a few months, the battery started to swell and cause the device to bulge and expand.
I RMA'd it, but I've seen this phenomenon before, and I'm afraid it will happen again.
I'm not hot on the idea of having to babysit the device, as I want to set it and forget it. I don't have to unplug my DVD player when I'm not using it.
I would prefer a way to run the device straight off of AC, without any battery at all.
Unfortunately, since this device has a permanent battery, it would appear that it also has an expiration date :(

Return to “Archos 5 Internet Tablet with Android”