Apps Market place has stopped downloading

Archos Android Tablet available now 8GB ($189), 16GB ($229), 32GB ($258), 160GB ($310), 500GB ($349)
martync
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Apps Market place has stopped downloading

Post by martync »

I installed the Apps Market place using Market4Archos.apk and since then have updated to 1.7.99 This all worked fine and I have a couple of paid for applications but on Wednesday I started getting a problem where updates are being flagged by marketplace and I can select to download and it shows the rolling animation on the progress bar and says starting downloading but never progresses from there. It does not hang I can cancel the download, but it never downloads, e-mail and web access are working fine and I have tried from my office Wi-Fi at work as well as my home Wi-Fi and get the same result. I tried downloading a completely new application with the same result. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Martyn
paulus3476
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Re: Apps Market place has stopped downloading

Post by paulus3476 »

Mines doing the same at the moment ,so it may be a server problem rather than a device problem
AllenPapapetrou
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by AllenPapapetrou »

Has happened before and I'm sure it will happen again. Google is probably fiddling around with something.

Allen
-An old geek 8)
5IT|A70S|A101
OldGerry
Archos User
Archos User

Post by OldGerry »

Mine has been doing the same thing also for at least two weeks. Guessing but could be since installing 7.99
OldGerry
roylovelock

Post by roylovelock »

yep i think this is a google issue, my payed programs from my milestone have stopped linking to my 5, hopefully they will fix it soon.
roy
COYI
Chaz_uk
Archos User
Archos User

Post by Chaz_uk »

I don't know why it works but fire up Google talk, let it log in and your app will start downloading!

Just tested it on my A5IT and it works. This used to happen to my HTC Hero when I had it and signing intoGoogle Talk always starts the download..... :o
nasimdejai
Archos User
Archos User

Post by nasimdejai »

Hi mine has the same problem but I usually wait for about a minute before it actually starts downloading the apps. I think it needs a little time for it to update before downloading.I suggest u wait for a minute or more before u cancel
gschier
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by gschier »

Just leave them downloading in the background and they will finish eventually. Sometimes adding downloads to the queue helps kickstart it. And don't be surprised if you have to wait days for some downloads to finish.
32GB A5A Owner
martync
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by martync »

Those of you that were having this problem has it gone away? If so did you find a way to fix it or did you just keep trying? Mine is still the same but I'm uptown 12 updates waiting! I tried the suggestion to login to Google talk but it couldn't connect to the server I'd never used it before so it was probably just not setup probably.
Thanks
Martyn
map002
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by map002 »

Just in case, make sure your app partition has space. The Market apps suspends downloads when your app partition is nearly full, but you usually get a warning message about space. Try removing one of your bigger apps and see if that starts the others downloading...

Michael
martync
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by martync »

Hello Michael,

Thank you for the idea I don't think it is the problem in my case as I am using a 160GB A5A and I only have 33GB of video and a couple of GB of music so I should have quite a bit of space even though I have a few applications including Ndrive and Copilot I think I have over 80GB left and from what I can see all the hard disc is one partition rather than having a special applications one. It was certainly worth checking.

All the best,
Martyn
gschier
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by gschier »

martync wrote:Hello Michael,

Thank you for the idea I don't think it is the problem in my case as I am using a 160GB A5A and I only have 33GB of video and a couple of GB of music so I should have quite a bit of space even though I have a few applications including Ndrive and Copilot I think I have over 80GB left and from what I can see all the hard disc is one partition rather than having a special applications one. It was certainly worth checking.

All the best,
Martyn
Hello Martyn,
It appears you are not aware that Android apps are not installed on the same partition as the rest of your stuff. In fact, All our A5A's have a set amount of memory for apps and it's only about 140 MB's (someone can confirm the exact amount). So it is quite possible that your app partition may be full or almost full.
32GB A5A Owner
martync
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by martync »

Thank you I was not aware of the specific memory for the applications. I take it that you cannot increase this at the expense of the general storage. I will remove some of the applications I don't use. In some ways getting rid of NDrive would seem to make sense as it must be quite big and I prefer Copilot but as it does not seem like a standard application intall, I am not sure about doing that so there are a number of other applications I can get rid of first.

Thanks again,
All the best,
Martyn
martync
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by martync »

Hi,

I tried removing all the applications I don't use which should have given me quite a lot of space, certainly more than when I made my last installation. I then rebooted my A5A and then tried to run the update on the smallest program but unfortunately I got the same result. I see there is an option to clear temporary files & flush cache in in the repairing and formating tools section of the settings do I need to use this to make the memory available? The settings section shows 39MB of free system memory.

Thanks for your help,
Martyn
gschier
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by gschier »

Don't worry Martyn, my updates aren't going either. I'm not quite sure what could be causing it but I hope it fixes itself soon.
32GB A5A Owner
martync
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by martync »

Thanks Gschier,
It's reassuring to know it is not a one off issue so hopefully it's something people are working on. It's not something that I could really report to Archos support as they would probably quite understandably say that it was an unsupported modificaation which was not their problem to fix. I don't know if the issue is in the Archos or on the Google side of things but fingers crossed it will get sorted in the not too distant future. The clear out of my unwanted applications will be a good job done to prevent future issues.
Thanks again,
Martyn
martync
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Re: Apps Market place has stopped downloading - Solved for m

Post by martync »

I feel a bit daft. I had a Google of the problem and noticed in one message board that someone had recently taken part in Google's update of googlemail to gmail, in the UK there was an isssue with the use of gmail initially which was recently resolved. When I changed my gmail account back to googlemail the problem went away, I can download updates again straight away. I feel silly for not thinking of this before.

Thank you to all those that sent replies on the message board to help.

All the best,
Martyn
gschier
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by gschier »

Well I got my downloads to work. Not sure if it was just luck though.
All I did was uninstall one app which didn't seem to help, then I added one more app to my download list which seemed to kick start the process. Then all the other downloads finished and everything was done seemingly within 1 or 2 seconds. Now this seems surprisingly fast for downloading and installing 5 apps which makes me wonder: Maybe the market does download the apps and it's just hanging on the install portion or maybe even something at the very end of the install portion.
32GB A5A Owner
parkit
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by parkit »

Had the same problem downloading from the Market in last few days.

Changing back from gmail to googlemail fixed the problem instantly.

I changed back from googlemail to gmail and couldn't install again.

Not sure what the get-around for this will be
500/205/5/5A
gschier
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by gschier »

what is the difference between gmail and googlemail?
32GB A5A Owner

Return to “Archos 5 Internet Tablet with Android”