Battery problems

Archos Android Tablet available now 8GB ($189), 16GB ($229), 32GB ($258), 160GB ($310), 500GB ($349)
BloodyIron
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Battery problems

Post by BloodyIron »

Yes, I tried using the search, but it's useless because it wont let me search based on those two words... "Battery Problems" in this thread.

Get with the times guys.

Back on topic:

So I went to a LAN party this weekend and used my A5A the whole weekend as my source of music. It was plugged into my Gomadic power adapter the whole time and outputting through audio cable.

I plug it in to charge last night and leave it over night. This morning I discover it can't hold a charge at all.

So far I've tried:
-Pushing the reset pin
-Turning off
-Soft resetting it
-Going into "deep sleep"

All while charging from my Gomadic.

I am now charging from my USB to micro USB adapter and it isn't seeming to have results either. I suspect it's either a software issue, or the battery can't hold a charge any more. I havn't even had this for a year, and i've always used my Gomadic power adapter to charge it unless I had no choice and used the micro USB cable. I read a long time ago it's better to charge it while the system is on as it can better manage when to stop charging.

This is the first time I've had these problems with this particular model. What should I do?

No swearing please. Kodiak
BloodyIron
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Re: Battery problems

Post by BloodyIron »

Oh and I made sure wifi/gps was off, and killed as many apps as I was feeling safe to kill.
BloodyIron
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by BloodyIron »

Really? Nobody can recommend anything? My archos will not hold a charge at all now :(
buster8079
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by buster8079 »

What preceded this? Extreme tempreture(s)? Dropped on ground? Bad music? Pr0n? Anything out of the ordinary?

If it isn't holding a charge, I imagine soon you will be unable to use it, right? Since, even when on the mains, it still has to send the juice to the battery which in turn sends it to the device.

Have you called Archos to see what they say?

Are you set to do a RMA?

You said that you always used the Gomadic charger... did you charge the Archos with it turned off (since that has been debated here in these forums, even recently, as something that can be "bad")
map002
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by map002 »

Really? Nobody can recommend anything? My archos will not hold a charge at all now :(
Please have some patience. We know it's a big deal for you, but we're only a community support forum. Folks here will usually try to help you if they can because they're generous that way.

This is a pretty strange problem and it's unlikely there's a simple fix for it. If it happened to me, I'd reinitialize the device a time or six and if that didn't fix things, I'd just call Archos and see if they will give you an RMA.

Michael
BloodyIron
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by BloodyIron »

Sorry for the impatience. I've had to send past devices into Archos for RMA before and I was really wanting to avoid doing that.

First, to answer your questions buster. The only real new variable to my behavior with the archos was that for 3 days straight it was plugged in playing music constantly. It hasn't been dropped or anything note-worthy within the last week.

However, there is some more interesting things that have happened. On my way home yesterday my Archos eventually just ran out of juice after me trying to turn it on to charge and failing so many times. It got to the point where it would not turn on. So I just gave up and plugged it into my Gomadic while it was turned off and didn't touch it till this morning.

I found it this morning, still turned off. I turned it on... with success, which was great for me. I then discovered it is now 100% charged. I am uncertain if this has caused problems for the battery as it probably didn't have any circuitry controlling the charging.

As it stands now I am monitoring it's condition, probing it, running it through some Cardio tests, and hopefully it will be a complete recovery. While it was plugged in and turned on, I didn't see any light on it at all, not even the normal green light reported any activity. This is rather peculiar.

So far it played just normally on my way to work without dropping it's charge at all. It appears to drain at the expected rate.

Thanks for the help so far tho!
Shifter2600
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Shifter2600 »

Hey BloodyIron, Fellow Calgarian.
I have noticed that my Archos when I use the Docking Stations has no issues with charging while the Archos is in use but for some reason the DC and USB charging solutions have issues keeping up with the battery usage.

I recommend downloading the app System Panel It has a small Background process that will keep a history of your device's usage and battery ETC. Really great tool. Also Startup Auditor.
See if you can find a correlation between the apps and battery power. Also there is a great Battery App from Curve Fish that will show on a widget Temp. Since Temp will always eat your battery life.
Archos5 IT

Return to “Archos 5 Internet Tablet with Android”