A5A 32GB seems dead

Archos Android Tablet available now 8GB ($189), 16GB ($229), 32GB ($258), 160GB ($310), 500GB ($349)
ssimps
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

A5A 32GB seems dead

Post by ssimps »

If this is not karma I don't know what is. I had just posted on this forum about the A5A being unstable and was they watching a video on it. I paused the video, went to use the can, and when I came back my A5A screen was black and the power button does nothing.

I have tried pressing the power button for short periods and for long periods, nothing, no screen and no light at the top near the volume buttons. I have also tried holding down the power button and volume buttons at the same time to try to get it into that maintanance mode, still nothing, no screen light, nothing.

When I plug the USB cable into the PC (it was when I was watching the vid too), I get a green light by the usb plug on the A5A.

So it seems my A5A is 'dead'.

Anyone who can help me bring it back to life, please let me know the trick!

Thank you, help!

S
buster8079
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Re: A5A 32GB seems dead

Post by buster8079 »

Have you tried the pinhole reset on the back?

Also, any chance the battery is dead? Let it charge for a few hours then check...

And next time bring it to the can with you!
ssimps
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by ssimps »

I have had the unit connected to my PC all weekend, using it as a mini screen to watch videos on as I code, so unless the unit drains > power than what the USB cable charging can do, I can't see how the battery can be dead.

I've just tried the pinhole and it does not seem to have helped.

What does the steady green light beside the A5A usb connector mean?

Thank you for your really fast input.
babyd
Archos User
Archos User

Post by babyd »

the green light means its charging, sounds like flat battery to me. I have heard it drains faster that is recharges when doing something like file transfers, so watching video may be the same.....give it a few hours on charge and it will most likely be okay.......
buster8079
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by buster8079 »

Babyd is right: It drains faster than it charges (especially via USB) depending on what you are doing... videos are pretty intense. I'm pretty sure that is what is happening to you. You might be able to pull of this kind of use with a battery dock plugged into an outlet, I think the battery dock (or mini dock for that matter) puts out more juice.
TheRain
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by TheRain »

-- If you think it's a hardware issue and you want to try to repair it yourself (disclaimer: I'm not responsible for anything you do around this
If you don't have any experience soldering electronics, or if you are worried about breaking your archos beyond repair, you probably want to have archos repair it under warranty instead. If you follow these steps you will have voided your warranty, so be sure it's what you want to do. ) you can:

1. remove the plastic feet on the back side that cover the screws
2. unscrew, and use the small holes around the top and bottom edges to push down the inside case tabs, while using a small flat screwdriver to pry open.
3. A couple of places I'd check on the inside first 1.) The top buttons on this thing seem to be attached in a not so secure fashion.. You might want to check that 1.) The power button has not come off of it's solder contacts and 2.) that the plastic piece on the case that pushes the button has not slid off to a place where it's no longer hitting the power button.
The other thing you might check is that the battery is still soldered to the main board.
If it's not either of those things, unfortunately you have just voided your warranty.

I have taken mine apart several times, but I bought it for modding and playing around so the warranty is not a concern for me. And really, if mine stops working, I know it's my own damn fault ;)

Cheers,

Collin
AllenPapapetrou
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by AllenPapapetrou »

buster8079 wrote:Have you tried the pinhole reset on the back?

Also, any chance the battery is dead? Let it charge for a few hours then check...

And next time bring it to the can with you!
Yep, finally a computer we can take to the can. The 5IT has changed my life.

Allen
-An old geek 8)
5IT|A70S|A101
Major Cynic
Archos User
Archos User

Post by Major Cynic »

You and I both, Allen.

Although the more aptly named item at http://wepad.mobi/en might be a better bet for the can!
AllenPapapetrou
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Major Cynic wrote:You and I both, Allen.

Although the more aptly named item at http://wepad.mobi/en might be a better bet for the can!
Hi Major C,

One more "e" in the name and neofonie's device is there. Interesting device, and yet another indication of the interesting tablets this summer will bring.

Allen
-An old geek 8)
5IT|A70S|A101
ssimps
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by ssimps »

You guys were right, even though I was connected via USB the battery was drained to 0. I have had it connected with the device off until now since my initial post and the initial battery suggestion and the battery is at 25% now; seems like very slow charging over USB.

Given this, Archos should really be including the charger base (or a small plug port that the USB cable end connects to like some of the Harmony Remotes give) as part of the base package when someone buys one of these; so it can be charged from an outlet. They (the A5A) are not cheap and I'd expect that what I get should at least be able to keep the thing charged when it is on and connected to the charging cable provided. Another A5A hidden fee.

Note that it seems doing nothing on the A5A but running Android OS when connected via USB causes more battery to be used than is being charged. At least on mine this is the case. I can go to the battery profile and watch the % charge drop with no other apps running with the USB is supposedly charging it. Kind of sucks if you ask me.

So basically I need to turn the whole unit off and let it charge each night in an off state so that I can use it for a day, even if connected to a PC via USB while using it.
Major Cynic
Archos User
Archos User

Post by Major Cynic »

I think I read somewhere else that the "side" USB is only 300ma whereas the bottom "docking port" USB is 1000ma charge.

I'm not a techie.
ssimps
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by ssimps »

So do I need to get a "DVR Snap On - IMT & Internet Tablet" for charging while the A5A is on, or is there another less expensive option?

Also, the the "DVR Snap On..." says:

"Charge your device (with optional power supply) "

So, besides the DVR what 'optional power supply' do I need to buy and where can I get one; couldn't fine one on the Archos site with my quick (and honestly frustrated) search. ;)

Thanks again for all the input.
AllenPapapetrou
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

If you have HDMI in, for your PC or TV, you can get the DVR Station (DVRS). In addition to charging your 5IT much faster you can watch your 5IT on your PC. At ~$120USD the DVRS isn't expensive at all.

If you don't like watching the 5A on your PC then you can pick up one of the many USB wall chargers, which for what you get are very expensive, at about $10USD.

I have both and use my computer monitor with the DVRS, and the USB wall charger away from the monitor. Additionally the DVRS will charge your 5A even if your PC or TV is turned off.

Another option is to buy the really inexpensive (~$40) Archos or Gomadic Car Charger/FM Transmitter.

I've found most Archos accessories for the 5IT to be very, very inexpensive. Except the USB wall charger which Achos doesn't sell. I got mine at Walmart for a prior mp3 player. $10 what a rip off for a little bit of plastic and metal which didn't even come with a USB cable.

Allen
-An old geek 8)
5IT|A70S|A101
nopantts
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by nopantts »

_

For me the battery dock is essential. I received one packaged with my A605, and it was the first accessory I bought for my A5A.

It comes with a mains adaptor. When the dock is fitted to the A5A, it charges the dock, which, in turn, charges the A5A.

At one end it has DC in and S_Video out. At the other it has a Mini (not Micro) USB socket, a full size USB socket, and AV out.

So, basically it is a Media Output device (and files in/out) with added battery power and quick charging function. Great for taking to someone else's house, to plug into their TV or PC for sharing

It's a full length device, so it sits nicely when resting on the stand.

_
ssimps
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by ssimps »

nopantts wrote:_
For me the battery dock is essential.
_
Just got one, about $50 so not 'too' bad in terms of price.

Thanks for the suggestion.
nopantts
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by nopantts »

_

Welcome.

I think it will become indispensiblr to you, over time.

_
clockwork
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by clockwork »

In terms of charging, I had my battery on my 32GB A5A near dead, it via USB it took almost 6 hrs to fully charge from my laptop.

Looks like I'll be bringing my charger from work home everyday as I have discovered that my work BB Curve 8900 and A5A share the same usb connection.

Even on Archos FAQ's it says it could take a few hours to get enough juice to a dead battery to turn on the unit via USB, so it goes to show you how slooooow it charges via USB.
A5A BT w/X10 FW 2.1
mikekoz
Archos User
Archos User

Post by mikekoz »

ssimps wrote:You guys were right, even though I was connected via USB the battery was drained to 0. I have had it connected with the device off until now since my initial post and the initial battery suggestion and the battery is at 25% now; seems like very slow charging over USB.

Given this, Archos should really be including the charger base (or a small plug port that the USB cable end connects to like some of the Harmony Remotes give) as part of the base package when someone buys one of these; so it can be charged from an outlet. They (the A5A) are not cheap and I'd expect that what I get should at least be able to keep the thing charged when it is on and connected to the charging cable provided. Another A5A hidden fee.

Note that it seems doing nothing on the A5A but running Android OS when connected via USB causes more battery to be used than is being charged. At least on mine this is the case. I can go to the battery profile and watch the % charge drop with no other apps running with the USB is supposedly charging it. Kind of sucks if you ask me.

So basically I need to turn the whole unit off and let it charge each night in an off state so that I can use it for a day, even if connected to a PC via USB while using it.

Mine charges (A5A 16GB) while turned on with no problems. I have read that you are actually supposed to charge it while it is on. If your A5A is draining faster than it is charging on a USB connection, you may have a bad unit, or for some reason your PC's USB ports are not putting out 5v.
map002
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by map002 »

If your unit is not successfully charging via USB while in standby, make sure you have the latest FW. .95 had a bug where USB charging was problematic.

Also, for faster USB charging, kill all open apps, turn off data sync and location awareness and put the device into airplane mode to turn off the radios.

But if you need faster than overnight charging, buy a Dock.

Michael
seraphimprime
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by seraphimprime »

And do the single short power button press to turn the screen off.

Return to “Archos 5 Internet Tablet with Android”