Have you tried running SDE / Angstrom linux?

Archos Android Tablet available now 8GB ($189), 16GB ($229), 32GB ($258), 160GB ($310), 500GB ($349)
Lech
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Have you tried running SDE / Angstrom linux?

Post by Lech »

I just tried running the SDE Angstrom linux firmware, but as expected the Android firmware is far more usable.

I was supprised that all my files, apps and settings were unchanged after reverting to Android.
map002
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Re: Have you tried running SDE / Angstrom linux?

Post by map002 »

Yup. It runs Angstrom from a disk image file, so it won't touch your other files unless you use it to do so.

And it's not terribly functional, no. It's mostly there as a proof of concept, to show developers how to use the SDE to roll their own OS. There are some interesting projects you should see appearing in the weeks and months ahead that are a *lot* more functional than Angstrom and in some ways, even more functional than the stock Archos Android build.

Exciting times if you love this kind of stuff!

Michael
mitch04
Archos User
Archos User

Post by mitch04 »

but first isnt people trying to but multiboot so 2 os's to run same time?
map002
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by map002 »

There is no boot manager yet for the A5A as there is for the old A5. Right now you have to flash back and forth to switch between various OSes.

Michael
rushter
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by rushter »

map002 wrote:There is no boot manager yet for the A5A as there is for the old A5. Right now you have to flash back and forth to switch between various OSes.

Michael
I just got the Archos 7 320gb from my mother as a gift to my son. He is graduating boot camp next week and I thought I would try and get this thing supercharged for him and give it to him as a gift.
Well, I had no problem getting it into the SDE and having it boot up into that Angstrom Linux. The problem I have is doing anything else with it. I, at this time, have basically come to realize that unless you are a programmer or sorts, and I am not, then I have no need to put this thing in the 'LINUX desktop' mode.
I just can't get it back into the original ARCHOS mode. I have searched and searched to no avail - am I missing something?
The only options I see are installing Linux on my PC and downgrading and blah blah blah.
Any ideas?
Just get me back to an ARCHOS boot up with the big ARCHOS buttons to do the normal ARCHOS things.

Thanks.......
enthalpy
Archos User
Archos User

Post by enthalpy »

[quote="rushter"
I just can't get it back into the original ARCHOS mode. I have searched and searched to no avail - am I missing something?
The only options I see are installing Linux on my PC and downgrading and blah blah blah.
Any ideas?
Just get me back to an ARCHOS boot up with the big ARCHOS buttons to do the normal ARCHOS things.
Thanks.......[/quote]

Yes, I ran into the same issue. The instructions said I could dual boot. Nope, no way. So I made (brief) notes for myself, here you go.

To recover back to Android, I had to do the "hold volume-down while power on" routine, then go to Repair, connect to linux computer, put the Android AOS file in root on the A5A, and then restart the A5A. The A5A sees the AOS file and uses it.
A5A 16GB,BT kbd,DVRdock..A101 RMA'd

Return to “Archos 5 Internet Tablet with Android”