Battery Dock (Search no help)

Archos Android Tablet available now 8GB ($189), 16GB ($229), 32GB ($258), 160GB ($310), 500GB ($349)
DaveB
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Battery Dock (Search no help)

Post by DaveB »

I tried to use the search and it says battery dock is to common to use in search.

What are the advantages to the battery dock over something else and why do you use it. I cannot find much about it on the internet or Archos site. Is it worth the $50 us?? Can you conect a Hard drive to it and read the hard drive on the Archos 5??

Dave
Just_Gerald
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Re: Battery Dock (Search no help)

Post by Just_Gerald »

Battery dock is good for the following reasons

Allows USB hosting (add keyboard, mouse, external HD to archos)
Extended playtime (about 2-3 hours)
Allows S-video and RCA connection to a TV
shorten charge time (about 2-3 hours if fully depleted archos and dock) allows direct to mains charging

Those are the reasons I use it!
skylr616
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by skylr616 »

I hate that these poor folks feel the need to preemptively protect themselves from the search grouches... yuk.

It nearly doubles your battery life while also adding video out capabilities. It does also adds a full sized usb port that I believe can be used to attach external storage and other devices (haven't actually tried it yet).

I wish it attached a little more firmly to the A5A (so I could just leave it attached most of the time), but otherwise I am very happy with it.
DaveB
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by DaveB »

I not afraid of any flames, MY biggest complaint is that if its such a good product, you should be able to search for it. I think if I got five hundred hits on a search it would of help me find what I wanted.

Dave
schoolsofthought
Archos User
Archos User

Post by schoolsofthought »

It's great and I think it's worth the buy. To be honest, I only got it to charge my Archos quickly and for the hookups to the TV because I wasn't planning on getting a DVR dock anytime soon. Although having a DVR dock doesn't necessarily mean you won't want a Battery dock since it's like an extra battery and it's easier to carry around. I just wish I didn't have to take my A5A out of my leather case every time I needed to hook up to the battery dock.
jeffharris
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by jeffharris »

Yeah, I just got the battery dock, and, it's really nice - especially if you want to play films through hotel TV's, that have video input on the front (and many do now).

I just wish it was a micro USB charger input, so I wouldn't have to carry yet another power adaptor around.
Varta
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Varta »

DaveB wrote:I tried to use the search and it says battery dock is to common to use in search.
You can trick the search by searching with wildcards, e.g. battery* dock*
Kodiak

Post by Kodiak »

Here is another good use for the BD, although the Mini probably works the same way. By connecting the dock to the A5A and running a 5V power supply (4AA batteries for example) into the DC In port of the BD, the A5A should draw the power from the external power supply and do so at greater than the 500mA USB protocol. This can give you unlimited video playtime should you ever need it. You will only be limited by the amount of external power you can carry. Otherwise the BD will only assit the A5A's internal battery and both will drain during video play.

This is how the Archos device and BD has worked in the past. I do not have a A5A so I cannot confirm that this is still the case but I would be shocked if it does not behave the same.
buster8079
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by buster8079 »

Varta wrote:
DaveB wrote:I tried to use the search and it says battery dock is to common to use in search.
You can trick the search by searching with wildcards, e.g. battery* dock*
Nice tip!
map002
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by map002 »

Even better, try

Code: Select all

Battery Dock site:forum.archosfans.com
...from any Google Search box and skip the abysmal forum search engine altogether.

Michael
buster8079
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by buster8079 »

yep... I know bout that, but I like to support the mom and pop search engines too.
darkframe
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by darkframe »

Hi,

additionally to what has been said already I'm using the dock to copy files from my video camera's harddisk to microSD for backup purposes each day while I'm on a journey. Well, I'm leaving home in an hour for a three weeks jungle trip and you never know whether cameras can stand the climate. Well, the harddisk might fail as well due to whatever reason hence I would at least have backups of all my footage up to the day before such an event (which hopefully will not happen ;) ).

Read you in 3 weeks

Cheers

darkframe
darkframe

Return to “Archos 5 Internet Tablet with Android”