HOWTO: Easy root for 1.7.XX or greater

Archos Android Tablet available now 8GB ($189), 16GB ($229), 32GB ($258), 160GB ($310), 500GB ($349)
buster8079
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Re: HOWTO: Easy root for 1.7.XX

Post by buster8079 »

danrulz98 wrote:There's probably an obvious answer to this, but does this remove the ability to play DMR protected files, as it says on the Archos page for the SDE firmware?
Yes, since you have to (in the process) install the Special Developer Edition (SDE) firmware to do this.

as you have already read...
http://www.archos.com/support/support_tech/updates.html wrote:
Important notices to be acknowledged before downloading and installing the SDE firmware:

* Be aware that after installation, your device will loose the capability of playing DRM (digital rights management) protected content (e.g. videos that are present on the Archos Media Club).
* It is possible to restore the ARCHOS back to a traditional firmware, but it will not be able to play DRM protected content anymore. This functionality will be lost forever when applying the SDE firmware.
* Once the SDE firmware is installed on a device, this device will be watermarked and ARCHOS will be able to detect that this firmware has been installed once.
* Installing the SDE firmware is considered by ARCHOS as a voiding of the warranty and ARCHOS declines all liability and responsibility for any issues resulting from the installation of this SDE firmware.
* ARCHOS strongly advises that only experts in embedded software development should install this firmware.
* This firmware is provided "as is" and is not supported by ARCHOS.
TheRain
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by TheRain »

Hey Devo-

I'm trying to get copied in native executables to run since we have root. Does this seem possible to you?

It seemed like it would be possible because I looked at what your install.sh is doing and it looks like it's just mounting a ubi fs, then adding in busybox as su. I tried copying a native executable to /data/bin/ where su resides, but am not having luck executing it.

I tried chmod +x to my executable (and my executable is compiled for this architecture). I tried chowning root:root to it. Do you have any thoughts or suggestions for how I could do this? I tried doing it with fbset.real since fbset is already in this Android distribution and is running fine.

Any thoughts or advice would be much welcome!

Thanks,

Collin
bergqvistjl
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by bergqvistjl »

devo wrote:This is a faster way to root than using ssh - based entirely upon rootnow's method (so don't thank me, thank him; I just put the installer together.)

This has been tested to work on both 1.7.33 and 1.7.71 with Windows and Linux

Standard disclaimer: I am not responsible for anything you choose to do to your device - that said, this is about as safe as it gets.

What you need:
SDE aos file (here)
1.7.XX aos file (here)
rootfs.img with installer script (here)

When you download the rootstock.tar.gz - just extract it *once*. Do not rezip it or anything else after that step. The rootfs.img is the file that has to go onto the device.

If you're using Windows you'll need ext2ifs with read only off

What to do:
1) Reboot your device and hold volume down to go into recovery mode
2) Update Firmware
3) Install SDE aos
4) Let it install
5) When it says the update finished, hold volume down and press power to have it restart and go back into recovery again.
6) Repair Disk
7) When it mounts on your PC, delete any and all of the existing rootfs.img, rootfs.img.gz, rootfs_oe.img - depending on how far into SDE you went, it can be named any of those so that there are none. Then proceed to copy the new rootfs.img (that you previously extracted) onto the device.
8) Unmount safely (let changes write to disk)
9) Restart - first boot the touchscreen usually won't work, so I just reboot again
10) Fill out some bogus details (test/test/test/test) to get into SDE
11) From the home screen: Other -> Root Shell
12) At the bottom left corner of the screen you'll see an icon with 'ABC' and a pencil - click the little arrow on the right of it to switch to the keyboard. Tap the keyboard to pull it up.
13) Typing time!
14)

Code: Select all

cd /devo
./install.sh
Wait for install.sh to finish - it will take at least 15 seconds to do its thing, so just let it go. When you see that it's done...

15) Tap the red arrow at the bottom left. Select log out, then turn off. Select yes when it prompts you.
16) Sit back and relax while it turns off.
17) Hold down volume down and boot it into recovery mode, install 1.7.XX again and you're done. Enjoy.

Thanks to rootnow for the hard work, and map002 for testing.

Now that everyone has access to root... what else does everybody want?

I've got scripts for cpufreq control and tweaking, swap, apps2sd, full backups, screenshots, paid apps? Sounds like a plan to me. 8) I'll see you in the scripts thread.
Where did you get that terminal program from the screenshot from?
WantToGloom
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by WantToGloom »

better terminal. 'sfree on the market.
buster8079
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by buster8079 »

WantToGloom wrote:better terminal. 'sfree on the market.
not seeing it...
nopantts
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by nopantts »

_

The free one's on appslib.

_
WantToGloom
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by WantToGloom »

is what I get when I search for "terminal".
nopantts
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by nopantts »

_

That's interesting. I get 25 results, with Better Terminal Emulator Pro at the top. And no free version.

_
buster8079
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by buster8079 »

nopantts wrote:The free one's on appslib.
I see that one (for free)...
nopantts
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by nopantts »

_

@WTG

Are you using devo's original install.sh file, with T-Mobile and 310260 code?

I'm wondering if we have the regional variations we all discussed before somewhere.

_
WantToGloom
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by WantToGloom »

market.apk hack is what I originally did, then devo's install.sh file, yes. thassit!
map002
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by map002 »

Keep in mind that Google also sometimes adjusts results according to the location of your ISP. I know this very well because various Google bits keep popping up for me in Dutch, despite my preferences, because I have an ISP located in a Dutch-speaking region of the country where I live (even though I'm in a predominantly French-speaking bit).

Not certain how all of these things work together but that may well be a factor.

Michael
mitch04
Archos User
Archos User

Post by mitch04 »

Can someone help me figure this out please.
Im trying to update the firmware in the recovery mode.
Ok so I hold the volume down when it starts up thats all sweet. I click update firmware and it comes up creating table. Then I plug it to my pc I copy it over to the archos 256mb table I copy the firmware over for the root one thats 64mb. now its copied over how do I install the update?
I click the power button then says loading thats it. Where do I click install update?

Another question

I have windows 7 64 bits.
it says here
When you download the rootstock.tar.gz - just extract it *once*. Do not rezip it or anything else after that step. The rootfs.img is the file that has to go onto the device.

If you're using Windows you'll need ext2ifs with read only off
now Im not sure where to download rootstock.tar.gz and when I try and run ext2ifs it says the version of the software does not run. there any other programs do I have to do that?

Thanks very much
map002
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by map002 »

Search the forum for more about running the ext2 driver in Win 7. Alternatively, use a Win XP machine with ext2 or, better yet, a Linux LiveCd which will read the A5A file system natively.

Michael
pispot
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by pispot »

You may try vista compatibily mode on the installer. It should install fine.
If it doesn't work you can install Xp mode on windows 7 which should work in any case. (I did it this way..)
mitch04
Archos User
Archos User

Post by mitch04 »

Ok but I don't no how to install the firmware in recovery mode does not work. I :p click update firmware makes a new partition I put the aos in then what? it does not ask if I want to install the firmware or anything. Please help

Thank you
map002
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by map002 »

Download and read the relevant section of the A5A manual from the Archos support site.

Michael
mitch04
Archos User
Archos User

Post by mitch04 »

Thanks map002 could You please tell me where. I Checked the manual online all it said was repair disk nothing about updating firmware?
Is it possible just to tell me what to do?

Thanks
map002
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by map002 »

From the Archos website, via Google:
The process for restoring the original ARCHOS firmware is done by accessing the recovery menu. Enter the recovery mode by powering on the device while pressing the 'volume down' button. Select the "repair disk" option by navigating up and down the items with the 'volume up' and 'volume down' buttons and then executing the item with a short press on the power button. Once in this mode, the device can be connected to a PC and will act as a mass storage device where the most recent .aos firmware file can be copied to the device. Once the .aos file is transferred, press on the power button again to launch the installation process.
Michael
mitch04
Archos User
Archos User

Post by mitch04 »

Ok Im in the directory I cant delete the old rootfs.img so I cant put the one I downloaded on. any suggestions the ext2ifs is installed.
it just wont let me delete anything

Return to “Archos 5 Internet Tablet with Android”