DUALOS for Archos 5 IT

Archos Android Tablet available now 8GB ($189), 16GB ($229), 32GB ($258), 160GB ($310), 500GB ($349)
mitch04
Archos User
Archos User

Re: DUALOS for Archos 5 IT

Post by mitch04 »

hey this is great news. Could We be able to work on first the boot loader so we can boot multi os ???
devo
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by devo »

Bootloader and recovery - no. As far as I know they're still locked, but yes, you definitely can dual boot.
seraphimprime
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by seraphimprime »

map002 wrote: As for the rest of us lunatics, Allons y! :D

Michael
Revoking your Dr. Who privileges sir!
map002
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by map002 »

seraphimprime wrote:
map002 wrote: As for the rest of us lunatics, Allons y! :D

Michael
Revoking your Dr. Who privileges sir!
You'll have to catch me first! Romana, engage the randomizer, it's the Black Guardian again!! We must protect the key! WooHooHaaHaa! :lol:

Michael
[email protected]
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by [email protected] »

can u switch from os to os
AllenPapapetrou
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by AllenPapapetrou »

No
-An old geek 8)
5IT|A70S|A101
atomicmecha
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by atomicmecha »

so this is more like "Alternative OS" rather then Dual OS. great. In a way that's nice, but i'd prefer to switch back and forth.

Tho, when it finally gets to having dual boot, wonder if we'll only be limited to that build of Linux? or can we use something else?

haha, wonder if it'll run windows? :lol:
G9 101 250gb 1.5ghz/1gb
A5IT500gb
map002
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by map002 »

You write up a ARM version of Windows for the A5A and I'll help you get it on a firmware, how about that? :lol:

Michael
HW_90
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by HW_90 »

map002 wrote:You write up a ARM version of Windows for the A5A and I'll help you get it on a firmware, how about that? :lol:

Michael
or you could just port DOSBOX to android and run it through there, or port maemo 5 to the archos which already has dosbox.
map002
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by map002 »

DOSBOX? Cool, SloMo Win 3.1 here we come! :D

Nah. I'll pass. ;)

Michael
Cocoa
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Cocoa »

Running a different flavour of linux should be possible, the main benefit of the SDE is that it unlocks the device so that it can boot other OSes.
map002
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by map002 »

Yup, throw a bootable disk image into it from any OS that'll run on the A5A's hardware and it'll run it, or at least try to! :D

Michael
AllenPapapetrou
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by AllenPapapetrou »

The two biggies are ARM native code, which Angstrom delivers, and device drivers. Just having a "Live CD"-type version of Linux running on the 5IT doesn't really mean much to me. Maybe when I get my 7A, I'll willingly sacrifice my 5As warranty, but not just to see YALD running on the 5IT.

Allen
-An old geek 8)
5IT|A70S|A101
soupdog
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by soupdog »

I know this may not be the direction many of you want to go in, but I just managed to boot a rooted Android on my 5IT using the latest "official" kernel and android.cramfs (modified of course to include su, telnetd, and some other stuff) from 1.7.33. Unfortunately, the device seems to think the disk is being checked and locks you out of the media center and usb functions. I'm sure one of you other smart guys could tell me what I'm doing wrong. But before I go into details, I'm wondering if I'm not the first one to accomplish this (and I won't embarrass myself explaining a procedure that others have already discovered). Or maybe no one is interested in approaching it this way anyhow (and more focused on getting Android 2.1).
devo
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by devo »

Send me a pm, AIM or on IRC (freenode/#opena5it) if you would - I've been trying different things for a few days and I'd love to hear specifically what you did.
mitch04
Archos User
Archos User

Post by mitch04 »

Hey just wondering if I can help or anything? Is there a IRC live chat or something you getting closer of getting dual os yet? So to run muilti apps?
Thanks
greenie
Archos User
Archos User

Post by greenie »

I have time this weekend to get this going, IRC it is!
TheRain
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by TheRain »

Hi guys, first post for me. I'm also working on custom firmwares for 5IT. My main hopes are to 1.) get some decent speed video playback in linux with divx etc. 2.) get decent 2d/3d acceleration and SGX drivers working.

I wonder if anyone is watching the OpenPandora project? Similar SOC TI OMAP3 3530 vs the 3440 in the 5IT.

From a TI rep:
"According to Gerard Andrews, TI's OMAP marketing manager, the OMAP35x chips with on-chip graphics and DSPs will be "architecturally the same" as the Cortex-A8-based OMAP3440, which was announced earlier this month. Whereas the 34xx will be marketed only to large cell-phone manufacturers, said Andrews, TI is actively promoting the 35xx for a diverse range of applications including portable navigation devices, Internet appliances, portable media players (PMPs), and personal medical and fitness equipment."

Here's are the GIT repos for OpenPandora's Angstrom distro project.
http://git.openpandora.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi

They have successfully implemented SGX 3d acceleration and 2d acceleration and have been tweaking SDL for this.
I do not know if they have any SGX pieces committed to their GIT or if they keep them elsewhere for legal reasons. However, I obtained some SGX driver pieces using this tutorial, but have been unable to build so far:

http://code.google.com/p/beagleboard/wi ... erAngstrom

Some other cool info to give an idea of what is possible- The OpenPandora community has Quake 3 engine running very nicely, also DOSbox, N64 and a whole slew of other emulators running at really good speeds.
arnoo
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by arnoo »

Hey!

really interested in finding some tutorials to modify/create android aos. and, if someone want to correct my gramatical, i'll be grateful :)
Soupdog, do you use the 'busybox method'? (like this: http://www.archoslounge.net/forum/showt ... post139315 )
I thought that we can't repack aos? cause: " though they will not work on the Archos 5 IT Android since we do not have the private key for it" ( http://strazzere.com/blog/?p=311 )
Can i use this method: http://archos.g3nius.org/index.php?titl ... are_update ??
I can't find some information about the internal architecture: a5a is like a psp, with nand, flash0.,flash1 and so on??? for example, where is stock the recovery mode?
Why the title of this news http://archosfans.com/2010/02/05/dual-b ... fficially/ ?? definitively not a dual-boot (= multi-boot for 2 os = bootloader), it's just for the moment a dual-os...about this, someone know if a team works on this?
Technically, why can't we use the a5 method http://www.openaos.org/archives/82 ?

ooupss, again, a lot of question...I like to understand...thank you all!
arno

soupdog wrote:I know this may not be the direction many of you want to go in, but I just managed to boot a rooted Android on my 5IT using the latest "official" kernel and android.cramfs (modified of course to include su, telnetd, and some other stuff) from 1.7.33. Unfortunately, the device seems to think the disk is being checked and locks you out of the media center and usb functions. I'm sure one of you other smart guys could tell me what I'm doing wrong. But before I go into details, I'm wondering if I'm not the first one to accomplish this (and I won't embarrass myself explaining a procedure that others have already discovered). Or maybe no one is interested in approaching it this way anyhow (and more focused on getting Android 2.1).
googatrix
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by googatrix »

By the way, the Register has a story on the ├àngstr├Âm Linux distro announcement.

Return to “Archos 5 Internet Tablet with Android”