Archos 5 Android appreciation thread

Archos Android Tablet available now 8GB ($189), 16GB ($229), 32GB ($258), 160GB ($310), 500GB ($349)
jeffharris
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Archos 5 Android appreciation thread

Post by jeffharris »

Many people look at this forum, as a decision maker to buy the A5A or not.

Yes, it has its faults, but, I for one, have been waiting 30 years for a device like this. It's truly the first device of its kind,that has its kind of capaciiy.

And its faults will diminish with time.

When I was a teenager, I had a record collection of 5,000 albums.

30 years later, I have an (almost) pocket size device (500GB), that currently is holding more than 5,000 albums on one device, plus many films.

How great is that!!??!!

Tnank you Archos!!!
Jameth
Archos User
Archos User

Re: Archos 5 Android appreciation thread

Post by Jameth »

I have a couple issues here and there, but all in all, I absolutly.love.my 32gb A5A.
Gabriel1964
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Gabriel1964 »

It has had and has a few teething issues but I am also truely happy with my A5A IT (32gb one :D)
kevpuk
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by kevpuk »

Well, I am an 'appreciator' :D
Pretty much problem-free for me on my 160GB unit, and a truly convergent device
A5A 160GB
map002
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by map002 »

There ain't nothing else on the market that does what it does, even at twice the price. Plus it's a great geek platform. Love it.

Michael
geemacd
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by geemacd »

kevpuk wrote:Well, I am an 'appreciator' :D
Pretty much problem-free for me on my 160GB unit, and a truly convergent device
Same here with my 160GB, next to no issues to date with mine, nothing a very quick reboot didnt fix on the twice it threw a wobbly but that was more down to me switching off the wizard.

and as of 10 mins again, I used Blaklov's guide to do the hack and I now have full google access, even better
[quote="Flipflop"]I like em big[/quote]
buster8079
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by buster8079 »

Fortunately I just read all of the sky-is-falling-comments throughout this forum in (some sort of) anticipation, as if I am training myself for the let down and/or impending headaches (doomsday?). So far, nothing dramatic has happened... but to be fair, I do have my preferences on little things that could be tweaked. But I HAVE NOT had any serious problems with the device, nothing even close to making me regret this purchase. And I don't think reasonable people should be scared away from the device... unreasonable people, however, carry on.

I am quite happy (and proud?) of this bugger (32GB). In fact, I did not anticipate "getting into" watching video on this player (bought it for the audio/web parts). But I will tell you, the video, esp. HD copies are worth the time to watch on this (think bedtime w/ earphones).
map002
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by map002 »

Hi Buster,

I think more people would appreciate the Archos if they'd done what you've done and read forums like this one and were prepared for the device being unstable in various ways (but less so week to week as the firmware evolves). When one sets one's expectations realistically, it makes all the difference in one's experience.

And to be fair, many of them were early adapters bought this little gizmo in October before anyone knew Archos was really rushing the device out a bit too soon to hit the crucial Christmas market. And many of them who wanted to use the this little gizmo in the ways it was designed to be used got a pretty legitimately unpleasant surprise in the buggy initial firmware and the device-bricking (albeit temporarily) initial updates! There were no warnings on forums for them to read yet because they were the ones who had to trudge out and write them, rather than watch a mvie or listen to music on their new gizmo!

So, even if the A5A would have been perfect for them otherwise, there's no second chance for a first impression. And that's too bad, but that's the way the story goes sometimes. Some people can get past some things, but we all have our showstoppers. This was that for a few people.

So let's move past those people for the moment, to the ones that could soldier on, and to the lucky ones who bought a few firmwares in past the worst of the bugs..

In this group, there are some people with expectations for this little gizmo to do things they want to do, but it can't do. So you get 'This device is broken not because it's broken broken but because it doesn't work the way my old device did!', or '...because it doesn't work the way I'd like it to!'), I'd still say that a lot of people that don't like the A5A are perfectly reasonable, they just wound up with the wrong device for them.

In the same way, imagine three neighbours who had 3 expensive vehicles as their daily drivers, One has a luxury cruiser, one has a street-legal racer and the third has an off-road monster. And if they all had to switch vehicles for the week, the cruiser guy and the Off-roader would find the racer cramped, uncomfortable, overcomplicated and overpowered and impractical. The racer and the off-roader would find the cruiser too soft, unresponsive and impractical for anything other than daily driving. And the racer and the cruiser would find the off-roader sits way too high, has too high a centre of gravity making for harrowing turns at speed and too big to park anywhere!

And the truth is, they're all fine vehicles, best of breed at what they do. The trick is to make sure the right driver winds up with the right vehicle.

The A5A isn't the right device for everybody. Once you get past the genuine bugs, you can read that all over the forums. Some want it as a iPod Touch, a PSP, a touchscreen netbook, a TomTom, a Droid, A TiVo and all sorts of other things that it's not. And all of those other things are good in their own way, they're just not this.

And when the right person winds up playing around with this thing, they think to themselves 'Finally! This is just right!'. Those are the people who will be most likely to post in this thread. Not because they're the best or the A5A is the best. it's just that they stumbled across a little gizmo that does more of what they want a little gizmo to do than any of the other little gizmos like it.

And that ain't bad for we lucky few who got what we wanted for Hanukkah of Christmas or national shooping day or whatever you enjoy chez vous! :D

So, my sincere wish for all we gizmophiles this season is, May we all find the right little gizmos for all of us, whatever those might be!

Michael
gmich
Archos User
Archos User

Post by gmich »

I've had a few issues with mine freezing up at inopportune times, and I did have to do one complete reinitialization, but by and large I love the Archos 5. It's my favorite device and my go-to for casual web-browsing, RSS and ebook reading, and video watching. Also, with the kick stand it's great on the train. I'm hoping it will continue to get better with upcoming firmware updates, but I'm really getting tons of use out of mine as is.
Steve999
Archos User
Archos User

Post by Steve999 »

All-in-all I'm pretty happy...the only ball-breaker is the A5A is marketed as the total Internet Media tablet, yet bluetooth tethering is lacking with minimal phone support and compatibility...When/if this is resolved, it will be a true competitor !!!
zdrifter
Archos User
Archos User

Meets or Exceeds expectations

Post by zdrifter »

As a very happy owner, I can say the A5A meets & exceeds my expectations .. did my homework and know what I want a gadget like this to do (and not do) .. i.e. .. didn't want a phone, didn't want a camera, thought if it did GPS well (and it does) that would be great, wanted to read books (it's perfect for me, using Aldiko and conversions when needed with Calibre) , want access to apps and the Google hack works flawlessly for me.

I think people with experience with PDA's (esp. older ones) know they need to keep track of open apps, memory and battery and mostly know how .. others who haven't learned how suffer lots of problems, but for the person described above the device with current firmware should be just wonderful. If you want telephony, don't buy an A5A. If you want a camera, buy a camera, not the A5A. But if you want a really versatile device that will definitely grow better as android 1.6 and 2.0/1 are rolled out on the A5A. The A5A really is the best out there in this space with nothing else even close on price. It's a geek's geeky device mostly. Works just great for me and new apps hit every day.

Cheers

Return to “Archos 5 Internet Tablet with Android”