Realistic expectations ...

Archos Android Tablet available now 8GB ($189), 16GB ($229), 32GB ($258), 160GB ($310), 500GB ($349)
jeffharris
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Realistic expectations ...

Post by jeffharris »

OK, so, I've had my A5A 500gb for almost a month now.

I am a guy who likes to push all of his toys to the technological limit. And we all hope for the holy grail of electronic toys - the device that does it ALL - But, sometimes, the work involved doesn't pay.

I know many people here on the forums are trying to push as well - hack Android apps not made for the device, playing with it, crashing it, finding faults, GPS problems, firmware bugs, etc...

Long and short? I've loaded 60,000 songs, and about 50 films on the device - and still have 160GB free. No, it can't catalog all 60,000 songs (32,768 is the limit). And, android is nice, but, really is too immature for shining on this device. I'm now accepting what the A5A can do. I have a separate, TomTom GPS device that works very well - I have Blackberries, and Samsung Omnias with 8mp cameras, and GPS as well. I really want this device for its core featues, and I like it.

I've accepted what it's good at - (My 500Gb model) is the largest personal media player out there ... by far - the touch screen is nice, display is great, it plays all my music, it plays films nicely, surfs the web under WiFi, and hopefully will do TV recording soon. As long as 'm OK with that, the device works just fine.

And that's it.
Charbax
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Realistic expectations ...

Post by Charbax »

32,768 songs is just the ArcLibrary limit for now isn't it (to browse by title/artist/album/genre based on ID3 tags)? You can still browse through all your songs by folders can't you.. Until they hopefully increase the number of songs supported in the ArcLibrary.. And for music, wouldn't the Android Music Player and Android music Library work fine as well. I would think there even are some pretty good Audio player apps available out there which may apply more meta data kind of things to your music collection. Such as TuneWiki for example. Though I guess Android apps don't get access to all the same codecs, for example probably no flac, ogg in Android apps for now.
jeffharris
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by jeffharris »

Charbax wrote:32,768 songs is just the ArcLibrary limit for now isn't it (to browse by title/artist/album/genre based on ID3 tags)? You can still browse through all your songs by folders can't you..
Yep, that's what I do - I have my artists and albums all properly sorted anyway, so, it's fine for now.

As my thread title implies, because I travel the world quite often, I am quite happy that I finally can have my 6,000 CDs and films on one nice device.
findapollo
Archos User
Archos User

Post by findapollo »

ya, ~32k sounds like a poor choice of using a 16-bit int for the index. a signed int, no less. had they used an unsigned 16-bit int, you could've sorted through more than 65k items.

this could be considered by some as a bug, you should send them an email and tell them they need to use a 32-bit integer (that is if you think a limit of over 2 billion will be enough for ya ;) )

Return to “Archos 5 Internet Tablet with Android”