how to import Ebooks into Aldiko reader?

Archos Android Tablet available now 8GB ($189), 16GB ($229), 32GB ($258), 160GB ($310), 500GB ($349)
archosandroid
Archos User
Archos User

how to import Ebooks into Aldiko reader?

Post by archosandroid »

i previously downloaded some ebooks from Aldiko reader and have save those ebook files into my SD card as back ups incase i need to update the a5a firmware. After installing the new firmware, i wanted to transfer those ebooks that are in my sd card back into Aldiko reader again. According to Aldiko, there is an IMPORT feature which will scan/read from the SD card. I have tried that but it does not seems to wrok. Any advice?
rlauzon
Archos User
Archos User

Re: how to import Ebooks into Aldiko reader?

Post by rlauzon »

archosandroid wrote:i previously downloaded some ebooks from Aldiko reader and have save those ebook files into my SD card as back ups incase i need to update the a5a firmware. After installing the new firmware, i wanted to transfer those ebooks that are in my sd card back into Aldiko reader again. According to Aldiko, there is an IMPORT feature which will scan/read from the SD card. I have tried that but it does not seems to wrok. Any advice?
I've found that the easiest way is this:
1. Go into Aldiko and try to import some eBooks. It will fail (because there are no ebooks yet).
2. In your Archos storage area there is a eBooks\Import directory that Aldiko created. Put your epub eBooks in that directory.
3. Fire Aldiko back up and do the import. It will import the eBooks now.
Faeries
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Faeries »

2. In your Archos storage area there is a eBooks\Import directory that Aldiko created. Put your epub eBooks in that directory.

Hello ! I have aldiko and from my archos i can see the folders but when i plug my archos on my pc (vista) i can't see the folder eBooks and then can't put in it my epub ebooks.

How have you do that ?

Thanks a lot for futur answers
knorris908
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by knorris908 »

Faeries wrote:

Hello ! I have aldiko and from my archos i can see the folders but when i plug my archos on my pc (vista) i can't see the folder eBooks and then can't put in it my epub ebooks.

How have you do that ?

Thanks a lot for futur answers
I would just move the ebooks to some folder on my Archos that I CAN see while plugged up to the PC then after unplugging from the PC I would use the Archos file browser to copy those ebooks to the ebook folder.

Ken
704,5,5A,7,&A70
databasesolution
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by databasesolution »

I had the same problem and, after some tinkering, I found a solution.

1. From the AppsLib, download and install "OI File Manager".
2. Transfer the epub files to any folder on your Archos that you can see on your PC, such as "Downloads".
3. Open OI File Manager on your Archos and open the folder that contains the epub files.
4. Press and hold the epub file that you want to transfer and then select "Move" from the menu that pops up.
5. There will now be a grey button that says "Move here". Click the icon that shows the little blue SD card and scroll down to "eBooks"
6. Scroll down to the folder named "import" NOT ".import" (that was one of the things that tripped me up for a while) and open it. Then click the "Move here" button.
7. Now you should be able to import them using Aldiko.

(Another good thing about this file manager is that you can move around files even when the Archos is connected via usb)

I really hope this helps. I bought my Archos mainly to read ebooks and I love Aldiko, so I was disappointed when I couldn't import my own epubs into it. When I finally figured out his way, I 100% fell in love with my Archos. :)
caseyatbt
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by caseyatbt »

I have 2 problems.
1 I cannot find OI File Manager in AppsLib
2 For some reason Aldiko only looks for books in internal memory and not on the SD Card like it does on my Android phone.

Oh, I noticed that Aldiko 1.2 is what was in the AppsLib currently.
Ingott77
Archos User
Archos User

Post by Ingott77 »

_

You might like to try this method...

1. Download and install Ext2 IFs for Windows from here http://www.fs-driver.org/ this will allow you to mount device with drive letter. This is a service running on widows so no icons to click once installed.
2.From Archos select MSC mode for file transfer
3.Plug in device and windows should now assign your device a drive letter
4.Open folder to view files
5.On Archos you should see folder eBooks
6.Open folder. If you have tried to import previously Aldiko will have created a folder called import. If not create one.
7. Drop you epub files in here then disconnect your device
9.From Aldiko import eBooks again

Hope this works for you as this is the method I use and have had no problems....
This also has the added benefit of seeing your device folders from windows.

Cheers
_
AllenPapapetrou
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by AllenPapapetrou »

caseyatbt wrote:I have 2 problems.
1 I cannot find OI File Manager in AppsLib
2 For some reason Aldiko only looks for books in internal memory and not on the SD Card like it does on my Android phone.

Oh, I noticed that Aldiko 1.2 is what was in the AppsLib currently.
Hi Caseyatbt,

Reading your post I notice several areas which I consider confusing.

AppStore vs AppsLib Confusion
You may want to read the name more closely. The icon "App Store" from AndAppStore has had 1.2.2 for Archos. AppsLib from Archos has 1.1.6 for Archos.

Some folks have confused App Store and AppsLib.

As I write this 1.1.6 is the only version of Aldiko which works on the 5A running Android 1.6.

Internal Storage vs SD Card Confusion
Android was initial conceived for cell phones and the primary device purposed for user storage was a microSD card. Many developers used the phrase "SD Card" in their Apps.

Then Archos releases the Archos 5 Internet Tablet with Android. All models of the Archos 5IT have "Internal Storage". Internal Storage on the 5A is the same as the older "SD Card" on cell phones.

Owners of the HDD (Hard Disk Drive) 5ITs know their 5ITs have no SD Card hardware. So, they resolve the confusion quickly.

Owners of the SSD (Solid State Drive) 5ITs know their 5ITs have a microSDHC card slot in addition to Internal Storage. They resolve the confusion only when they realize the SD Card in their 5ITs is not the SD Card referenced by older Apps. The SSD Internal Storage is the "SD Card" of older Apps.

Internal Memory vs Internal Storage Confusion
A number of folks confuse Memory and Storage. Computers usually have both internally. Users usually only have direct control over Internal Storage - Installing Apps and User Data. Operating Systems control Memory.

Aldiko only looks for books in Internal Storage not Internal Memory.

And while I'm into confusion:

Mac vs PC Confusion
All MACs are PCs. Not all PCs are MACs.

I hope this helps.

Allen
-An old geek 8)
5IT|A70S|A101
Tommo
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Tommo »

I have followed the steps set out, but I am still having trouble. Here in the UK, I can download ebooks from the library for 3 weeks, free of charge. These I can read OK on PC, but they will not open after transferring to the 70. I have OI file manager installed, but I can't seem to get to the import, not .import section. The ebooks from the library are epub format. :( Thanks.
Tommo
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Tommo »

Thought this item, from Aldiko might be of some help, if you want to get UK library ebooks into your Archos 70 IT. It has worked fine for me.
Archos 70 home tablet still has the older version of Aldiko app, which supports DRM-free EPUB books only. Ebooks from local libraries are DRM protected.

In order to read ebooks from local libraries, you need to use the latest version of Aldiko app. Here is instruction to download the latest Aldiko app:

(1) Open your device setting, and click "Applications".
(2) If the "Unknown Sources" is unchecked, please check it.
(3) Click on this link on your device: http://www.aldiko.com/downloads/aldiko- ... signed.apk
, then the app should be automatically downloaded.
(4) Open the notification bar, click the apk file and then click "Install".

After that, follow the instruction here to import ebooks from local libraries into Aldiko app:

http://aldiko.zendesk.com/entries/37282 ... -libraries

Return to “Archos 5 Internet Tablet with Android”