Lamest Customer Service ever ....

Archos Android Tablet available now 8GB ($189), 16GB ($229), 32GB ($258), 160GB ($310), 500GB ($349)
jeffharris
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Lamest Customer Service ever ....

Post by jeffharris »

Have an A5A 500GB. Called CS today...

"Hello, may I help you?"

"Yes, I have about 61,000 songs in my library. The Archos currently cannot handle a library scan any larger than 32,768 songs. I also know this is a problem from reading in the forums. Does Archos plan to fix/update this feature, to accomodate their 500GB players, in particular, which is made to have high capacity of media?"

"Please hold" .... 6 minutes go by....

"Yes, we know this as a customer complaint, and, we have no knowledge of when it may be updated" ...

"OK, I guess that is basically telling me nothing. As well, I have bought the DVR dock, and, when I go to activate the TV Program Guide and Scheduler, it tells me to go to http://www.archos/com/register I do that, and there is nothing there to set up the Program guide. Where can I find that"

"Oh, that feature is currently down"

"Down? Do you mean, it was up, it is down, and it will be up again?"

"I'm not sure, sir"

"So, is it like, down for the day, or down indefinitely"

"I guess indefinitely, sir"

"Thanks for all this helpful info"

I guess I just need to be happy I can store on one device finally, 61,000 songs (albeit that I must find and browse them through "hard drive" perusing, rather than metadata), and a bunch of films.

It essentially can't do very much else right, except surf the web. But, if there's WiFi, I have a Macbook Air, and a Blackberry with Wifi - I don't really need this as an Archos feature ...

The cutting edge of technology - I think the only edge it cuts, is my finger, which is bleeding now ....
mikecism
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Re: Lamest Customer Service ever ....

Post by mikecism »

Not saying you are justified feeling miffed, but a couple thoughts:

Archos users tend to push their devices to the max - because Archos gives them a platform to do so. Where's the 500GB iPod? It's not there, because Apple believes you don't need that. (I use Apple as an example and not to deride iPods.).

Quality assurance is essentially based on use cases. They didn't test this use case. You did. They need to fix it, but it gets prioritized with other fixes. How many people are complaining drive this.

61,000 songs = about 6000 albums/CD. Somehow, I feel you have a subscription service and ripped the DRM off to have a collection that large. Consider it karma for not paying for those tunes. ;-)
ALooneyGuy
Archos User
Archos User

Post by ALooneyGuy »

Man, I'm 45, and there aren't even 600 songs I ever want to hear again!
jeffharris
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by jeffharris »

mikecism wrote: 61,000 songs = about 6000 albums/CD. Somehow, I feel you have a subscription service and ripped the DRM off to have a collection that large. Consider it karma for not paying for those tunes. ;-)
Or maybe I have 10,000 CD's, and an assistant that's been helping me rip them over a couple of years, and continuing.
Last edited by jeffharris on Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
mikecism
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by mikecism »

ALooneyGuy wrote:Man, I'm 45, and there aren't even 600 songs I ever want to hear again!
ROFL!
jeffharris
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by jeffharris »

ALooneyGuy wrote:Man, I'm 45, and there aren't even 600 songs I ever want to hear again!
Then the original 1GB shuffle is for you!!
Charbax
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Charbax »

The DVR Station Gen7 is not released yet, but soon. So wait for official DVR Station Gen7 support when that comes. And that includes all the DVR Station features with DVR Station Gen6 version which is already available.

Also, if you buy Gen6 DVR Station you might not have the Program Guide, HD plugin and other licences of the newer one.

You can't expect the outsourced customer support line to know everything about all these things. So do your research here on the forum first.
ALooneyGuy
Archos User
Archos User

Post by ALooneyGuy »

I wouldn't count on ever having a program guide, seeing as how it's been broken for 3 months and even Archos seems to have little hope of getting it fixed.
Charbax wrote:The DVR Station Gen7 is not released yet, but soon. So wait for official DVR Station Gen7 support when that comes. And that includes all the DVR Station features with DVR Station Gen6 version which is already available.

Also, if you buy Gen6 DVR Station you might not have the Program Guide, HD plugin and other licences of the newer one.

You can't expect the outsourced customer support line to know everything about all these things. So do your research here on the forum first.
archosandroid
Archos User
Archos User

Post by archosandroid »

Gen 7 DVR? Sure?
whow my dealer told me A5A will adpot the gen6 DVR and based on the line-up info, archos has no intension to launch a special DVR for the A5A. How accurate if your information?
Gajah Oling
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Gajah Oling »

mikecism wrote:Archos users tend to push their devices to the max - because Archos gives them a platform to do so. Where's the 500GB iPod? It's not there, because Apple believes you don't need that. (I use Apple as an example and not to deride iPods.).
I'm personally not a fan of Apple myself, but if they ever do release a 500GB iPod, you can be sure it will work. What's the use of having 500GB of space, but you can only use half of it? When I power up my A5, the splash screen says "Entertainment Your Way". Telling me I can't listen to all my albums (and yes, I purchased all of them, and I would go insane if I only had 600 songs to listen to) is not "entertainment my way". They need to come up with a new slogan. Maybe something like "Thanks for the money sucker!"

About two weeks ago someone at Archos sent me an email about setting up an RMA. Never heard back from the dude. So I went back to Amazon instead the other day. Printed out my UPS shipping label. Will drop it off this weekend and get a full refund.

I went to NewEgg and purchased a WD 640GB hard drive for my laptop instead. For now it'll be my music backup and playback device since I keep it at work most of the time anyway.
desigunda
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by desigunda »

Charbax wrote:The DVR Station Gen7 is not released yet, but soon. So wait for official DVR Station Gen7 support when that comes. And that includes all the DVR Station features with DVR Station Gen6 version which is already available.

It is available at Best Buy ... i saw it on display ( the one with HD pluggin included)

About the 32,768 tracks ... it is a small thing to fix (if the code was written properly)

anyone who have programmed in c will understand this

They seem to be using a Short Data type to store the number of tracks all they have to do is change that to long

short has a limit (positive integers) of 32,768, unsigned short of 65536, long of 2,147,483,648 , unsigned long of 4,294,967,296 and long long of 9,223,372,036,854,775,808

But the programmer who used short .. is definitely a retard
robtek70
Archos User
Archos User

Post by robtek70 »

jeffharris wrote:
mikecism wrote: 61,000 songs = about 6000 albums/CD. Somehow, I feel you have a subscription service and ripped the DRM off to have a collection that large. Consider it karma for not paying for those tunes. ;-)
Or maybe I have 10,000 CD's, and an assistant that's been helping me rip them over a couple of years, and continuing.

61,000 tunes does seem a lot but not impossible. I now have over 1000 cd's and 1200 records (been buying almost every week for over 55 years plus given a large collection recently) and I'm sure if I ripped all my music I would have an very large collection of MP3 in the region of 25000 tracks. Also the is at least one site in the web where you can legally download music and that contains many thousand tracks and I have several hundred from there. (Jamendo).
Icayrus
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Icayrus »

I actually have over 35,000 songs on my Archos 5 500GB and they seem to be all recognized and playable no problem. When I browse to the Music->Internal Storage and then single click on Songs, it lists the number that matches the amount of songs that are in my library on my computer, so I'm not sure if the limitation is the amount of songs or the total file size of the songs or if this is reporting the correct number of songs but not all of the songs are there. I do find it odd that I have more songs available than what you read on the forums as being available.

Whatever the issue is, I certainly hope Archos releases a fix for this soon so I won't suddenly hit some weird size limit.

Return to “Archos 5 Internet Tablet with Android”