"Unable to Stop Wifi" - Am I the only one?

Archos Android Tablet available now 8GB ($189), 16GB ($229), 32GB ($258), 160GB ($310), 500GB ($349)
jeffharris
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

"Unable to Stop Wifi" - Am I the only one?

Post by jeffharris »

Just got my 500gb device, and, on first boot, it connected to WiFi, and, upgraded the OS to 1.2.03

Now, with the new OS, I cannot get it to see, or properly scan ANY WiFi points.

And, when I try to shut off WiFi (maybe to try to turn it back on after, to freshly scan), i t starts by saying "shutting off WiFi" and then it shows "Unable to stop WiFi - and the WiFi check mark goes into something between checked and unchecked - Which doesn't change even after turning the device off and back on again ...

Has no one experienced this problem? I've reset to "default configuration" 3 times, it reformats, and still no go.

Ugh!!!!
moot
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Re: "Unable to Stop Wifi" - Am I the only one?

Post by moot »

I had that issue, and it seems that having bluetooth enabled at boot time strangely made it disappear.
perrin21
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by perrin21 »

jeffharris wrote:Just got my 500gb device, and, on first boot, it connected to WiFi, and, upgraded the OS to 1.2.03

Now, with the new OS, I cannot get it to see, or properly scan ANY WiFi points.

And, when I try to shut off WiFi (maybe to try to turn it back on after, to freshly scan), i t starts by saying "shutting off WiFi" and then it shows "Unable to stop WiFi - and the WiFi check mark goes into something between checked and unchecked - Which doesn't change even after turning the device off and back on again ...

Has no one experienced this problem? I've reset to "default configuration" 3 times, it reformats, and still no go.

Ugh!!!!
Just tried mine and it worked fine. Never had any problems with wifi
tiny.cc/68BQe
pfine
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by pfine »

I had this happen to my 160 GB. I rebooted and it was working again.
Gajah Oling
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Gajah Oling »

I have no problems stopping wifi. I usually keep it off by default anyways to conserve battery. I wonder if something went wrong with your firmware upgrade. Is there any way of regressing the A5's firmware, and then trying again to upgrade?
jeffharris
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by jeffharris »

Thanks for the feedback - I will try the BT thing, and, I've already downloaded the older OS, so, I will try to downgrade, and, see what happens.

If the OS upgrade went wrong, I'd be surprised - there were no glitches, it went smooth.

I know that in rality, we have the units early, and, the proper stable firmware version is still probably coming in after a couple of months of OS tweaking by Archos. It's been that way for a while ....
susu
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by susu »

No you are not the only one. I have a 32Gb model and I do have the same problem (and with both 1.1 & 1.2)

From time to time, it fails to see my router which is just meters away, flag it as out of range, and if I try to switch off WiFi I then I get the "unable ..." + gray box.

A quick reboot might not solve the problem but an "Airplane Mode ON" followed by a reboot and then Airplane mode off has always been succesful.

I have not found the pattern behind the behavior, and learned to live with it.
archosandroid
Archos User
Archos User

Post by archosandroid »

they should make the "REBOOT" button bigger!! i have being rebooting my unit to get wifi back, it's really annoying.
Danman0303
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Danman0303 »

Try downloading and using the "WiFi on/ off" widget from here. http://curvefish.com/

It is a free widget and makes a lot of sense to put this on your android home screen. Press it to turn your Wifi on or off!

No more going deep into the settings of the archos.
susu
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by susu »

Yes but the widget is of no help when you are in the middle of "Unable to stop WiFi..." crisis.

Yesterday night I had to reboot at least 15 times before being able to connect again.

I notice by the way, that when I get the dreaded "Unable .." the MAC address is reported as 00:00:00:00:00 !

Return to “Archos 5 Internet Tablet with Android”