XP Pro??

Archos Intel based Laptops
twisted-pixel
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

XP Pro??

Post by twisted-pixel »

Hi,

just picked up my Archos 10 (ok so it's not the greatest but at £199 duty free I thought I couldn't go wrong).

I would like to install XP Pro instead of home and have 2 questions

1) Can the machine run XP Pro ok?
2) I have the CD (a genuine copy from an old PC long since dead) but no CD drive that I can connect to my machine. so, can I just copy the CD to a USB disk and install from there?

thanks
Budwzr
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Re: XP Pro??

Post by Budwzr »

I have an A10 too. And yes, it's a great deal for the new lower prices. I have no issues with the unit, and highly recommend it to anyone because of the price.

Millions of "Netbooks" with the same specs are in place in the market, the basic "recipe" will not change, only the case it's in will change, and perhaps minor battery life improvements via newer EnergyStar rated type chips.

To answer your question, there is an Archos partition (logical drive) on the physical drive that will allow you to restore to original condition, so long as you don't reformat (low level) the drive.

I use a USB stick to run "Moblin" on my A10 from an image on the stick, and it works great.

I have not installed any other Windows version, but the A10 is no different than any other WinTel machine, and uses standard drivers.

The Vtuner program is worth keeping though, don't know if it will re-install on other than the original configuration.
CBers
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by CBers »

Stick 2Gb RAM in it and install Windows 7 RC1 - it should run fine.

You could make an SD card bootable (GOOGLE how) and install fom there.
twisted-pixel
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by twisted-pixel »

I haven't investigated upgrading the RAM yet, and I'm not unhappy with XP home, I would just prefer Pro because of the IIS available (and yes I know you can add PWS to XP home but it's not the same)
Budwzr
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Budwzr »

Do you need a full blown web server?

"ASPWebServerHere.msi", it loads a .net 2 dev server from the right click menu.

twisted-pixel wrote:I haven't investigated upgrading the RAM yet, and I'm not unhappy with XP home, I would just prefer Pro because of the IIS available (and yes I know you can add PWS to XP home but it's not the same)
twisted-pixel
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by twisted-pixel »

not really, I have a few websites written in ASP that I do updates to occasionally and it's noce to test locally before uploading to the internet and discovering it falls over.

I've never heard of ASPWebServerHere.msi though...where can I get it?
Budwzr
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Budwzr »

Just Google it, or I can PM you my copy.

twisted-pixel wrote:not really, I have a few websites written in ASP that I do updates to occasionally and it's noce to test locally before uploading to the internet and discovering it falls over.

I've never heard of ASPWebServerHere.msi though...where can I get it?
twisted-pixel
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by twisted-pixel »

hmm...google doesn't return anything of interest for that...a PM would be great thanks
Budwzr
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Budwzr »

What it does is activate an asp 2 dev server when you right click on a folder. Then it will enable whatever ASP content is there. It's pretty handy.

Return to “Archos 10, Archos 10S and Archos 13”