Interesting FAQ with the 10 at the Archos site...

Archos Intel based Laptops
Archos5Fan
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Interesting FAQ with the 10 at the Archos site...

Post by Archos5Fan »

Intersting, but grrrrrrrrrr........

Why does my hard drive show less than 160GB when I look at its properties?
Part of the space on the hard drive is used for the hidden restoration partition. That is, in the case that you need to restore your ARCHOS completely to its original factory state, the ARCHOS will use this hidden partition (which cannot be used otherwise) to restore your device.

Can I change the internal Hard Drive of my ARCHOS 10?
No, this will void the warranty.

Can I upgrade the RAM memory of my ARCHOS?

Come on what so undesirable about updating or upgrading? I put a 250GB HDD and 2GB RAM in my Motion Computing M1400 (originally had 40GB and 768MB RAM) and now it runs Vista, Foobar 2000, You Tube, .mp4 videos, and I'm about to get over-the-air ATSC (USA) HDTV going.

10 FAQ here:
http://www.archos.com/support/customer_ ... us&lang=en
strikeback03
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Re: Interesting FAQ with the 10 at the Archos site...

Post by strikeback03 »

Yeah, that will probably be challenged legally soon.

What do you plan on using for OTA ATSC? I tried my USB ATSC tuner in my laptop (1.86GHZ Pentium M, 2GB RAM, ATi X300 graphics) and it only worked if the TV window was really small, processor usage maxed out and it dropped tons of frames at larger view sizes. So without chipset acceleration it would seem anything short of a C2D will probably have issues with USB TV tuners.
Archos5Fan
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Archos5Fan »

Pinnacle HD USB Mini-Stick. It work great on my desktop. I have it sort of running on the Motion Computing M1400 1.1Ghz single core. I did get a picture but it looked choppy. I didn't pursue it a whole lot at the time as I had an upcomming appointment. Might need different antenna placement. I'll investigate further later.
strikeback03
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by strikeback03 »

Could be antenna, but based on my experience I'm gonna guess not enough CPU horsepower to smoothly decode the stream. My antenna is fine, same location I had it for using the tuner with my desktop, which also runs it fine but has a lot more CPU (2.4GHz C2D).

At the smaller picture size my laptop was still at 67% CPU usage to run the tuner smoothly.
Archos5Fan
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Archos5Fan »

I certainly don't need full screen. If it's reasonable window and the playback is smooth, that's all I'm hoping for. Full HD resolution -- no way! :)
strikeback03
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by strikeback03 »

the only playable window I could get working was maybe 3 inch by 2, too small to make out text on a newscast, for example.
Jaffar
Archos Staff
Archos Staff

Post by Jaffar »

Archos5Fan wrote:Intersting, but grrrrrrrrrr........

Why does my hard drive show less than 160GB when I look at its properties?
Part of the space on the hard drive is used for the hidden restoration partition. That is, in the case that you need to restore your ARCHOS completely to its original factory state, the ARCHOS will use this hidden partition (which cannot be used otherwise) to restore your device.

Can I change the internal Hard Drive of my ARCHOS 10?

Can I upgrade the RAM memory of my ARCHOS?

Come on what so undesirable about updating or upgrading? I put a 250GB HDD and 2GB RAM in my Motion Computing M1400 (originally had 40GB and 768MB RAM) and now it runs Vista, Foobar 2000, You Tube, .mp4 videos, and I'm about to get over-the-air ATSC (USA) HDTV going.

10 FAQ here:
http://www.archos.com/support/customer_ ... us&lang=en

Just because all customers are not as skilled as you are. The 10 has to be disassembled completely to access the hard drive, all manufacturers void the warranty if you remove the screws. Then for the RAM, you may know the difference between a DDR and DDR2 but the half of a half millimeter difference between both can break the slot if you think that pushing harder inside will make it. If you're so bothered about loosing the warranty if you change the RAM, just put back the original one in case you have to send it to RMA. That's it. The ram is removable like on any other PC.

Return to “Archos 10, Archos 10S and Archos 13”