Official MSRP pricing: 349Ôé¼ (3-cell) 379Ôé¼ (6-cell)

Archos Intel based Laptops
Charbax
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Official MSRP pricing: 349Ôé¼ (3-cell) 379Ôé¼ (6-cell)

Post by Charbax »

It's for sure that Archos ARM Cortex laptops could hook into the Large Hadron Collider cloud grid on Internet 2 to compute real-time Quad-HD video editing and encoding.
kb
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by kb »

Charbax wrote:MSRP in EU outside of the UK is £315. Substract 20% of the cheapest resellers margin and you've got the Archos 10 3-cell that can be sold at £252.
But you told me that the GPS add was definitely, certainly going to sell in the UK for £50. In the end it turned out to be _twice that much_.

It may just be that UK pricing is screwy of course, in which case we can blame Archos sales folks for not doing their research, I guess :/ But if Archos is suggesting a selling price of £349 in the UK, I really can't imagine they are selling then to UK outlets at such a low price that they might appear on the shelves for £252 (or even close to that).

Units with the same paper spcification as the Archos sell in the UK for £270-£300. It's not like there are only one or two of these on sale -- there are dozens, and they're all in that price area. I just don't see how Archos can beat the price and still make any profit -- with the number of vendors there are, I'm sure that if the prices could be squeezed any lower, they would be by now.

Since one netbook is the same as any other, it seems to me that the _only_ thing that would tempt people to buy an Archos one is a lower price than the competition.
Charbax
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Charbax »

The archos GPS add-on is £60 in europe. Although places where it's available are low waiting for the Archos 5 to support it.
kb wrote:there are netbooks (e.g., from Advent) on retail sale in the UK with what appears to be identical specification to the Archos, for £279.
Which store do you know to have the Advent 10.2" 160GB Windows XP for sale at that price?

I'm sure some resellers in the UK aren't as big price gougers as the median. I imagine that you should be able to get good prices in the UK just as you can in any other EU country. So I imagine that the EU pricing should happen in the same way in the UK. UK consumers are being generally cheated on pricing, but I haven't heard that the UK has any specific extra taxes or anything that would make for higher prices in the UK compared to Germany and France for example.

So I am guessing that MSRP are slightly inflated in the UK just to satisfy the middle-range UK store which wants higher margins than stores usually want in other EU countries. Though I don't think that UK stores are getting the products any bit more expensive from Archos then any other EU country. So I guess you should be able to get the same prices in the UK as in any other EU country, as long as shipments are in quantities sufficient to enable those lower reseller margins thus those cheaper prices.

If a buyer from Dabbs or Comet calls the Archos sales representative tomorrow and orders 10 thousand Archos 10 units, I am sure that you could then see a retail pricing below £279 for it perhaps even £259, that is, even on day one.

How Archos can do it, well Archos went to find the best deal in China, and that manufacturer surely would like to see large quantities of their laptop design being sold in Europe and USA, while they are seeing how brands like Acer and Asus are selling so huge numbers of them.
kb
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by kb »

Charbax wrote:The archos GPS add-on is £60 in europe. Although places where it's available are low waiting for the Archos 5 to support it.
kb wrote:there are netbooks (e.g., from Advent) on retail sale in the UK with what appears to be identical specification to the Archos, for £279.
Which store do you know to have the Advent 10.2" 160GB Windows XP for sale at that price?
Well, my local Currys has the Advent 4213 for £279.99, and that's the regular price, not a deal (check their web site).

It actually looks like exactly the same machine as the Archos, but with `Advent' written on it :)
Charbax
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Charbax »

kb wrote:
Charbax wrote:The archos GPS add-on is £60 in europe. Although places where it's available are low waiting for the Archos 5 to support it.
Well, my local Currys has the Advent 4213 for £279.99, and that's the regular price, not a deal (check their web site).

It actually looks like exactly the same machine as the Archos, but with `Advent' written on it :)
That is a rebranded MSI Wind. That one is one of the most successful 10.2" netbooks. From the MSRP being 50Ôé¼ lower than the MSI Wind design, it looks like Archos has plenty enough margin to navigate to provide a similar or lower price.

If it's Archos or Advent, nobody will care, you are right. It's all mostly just about pricing. So a £259 Archos 10 3-cell should be popular with options +£20 for a 6-cell battery instead of 3-cell and +£20 for a built-in HSDPA modem.
CBers
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by CBers »

Charbax wrote:
PC WORLD are selling the Advent 4213 "with embedded SIM card slot for mobile broadband" for £279.99.

It was down to £249.99 over Christmas.
cghori
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by cghori »

Won't the A10 eat into the A5/A7 sales? For almost the same price, you get a bigger screen, much more functions and faster processor. Maybe the A5/A7 prices will be dropped.
kb
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by kb »

cghori wrote:Won't the A10 eat into the A5/A7 sales? For almost the same price, you get a bigger screen, much more functions and faster processor. Maybe the A5/A7 prices will be dropped.
I would have thought it's unlikely. Netbooks and PMPs are really different things and serve different needs. I have both, and I don't find there's much overlap between what I use each for.
strikeback03
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by strikeback03 »

Did they even announce a US MSRP? As mentioned MSRP doesn't mean a lot (Sigma generally announces MSRPs about double actual retail price for their lenses), but MSRP for EU release means even less, as things generally sell for less here than there.

As mentioned, it is just another rebadge of about the same components, so it is logical that Archos cost per unit is about the same as everyone else, so the price should be able to fall to about the same as everyone else.
kawiultraman
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by kawiultraman »

kb wrote:
cghori wrote:Won't the A10 eat into the A5/A7 sales? For almost the same price, you get a bigger screen, much more functions and faster processor. Maybe the A5/A7 prices will be dropped.
I would have thought it's unlikely. Netbooks and PMPs are really different things and serve different needs. I have both, and I don't find there's much overlap between what I use each for.
Actually, I sold my Asus EEE PC netbook after buying the A7. I was only using the A7 to check email and surf the web while on the couch or in bed. Much easier to do on the 7, for me.
roy8846
Archos User
Archos User

Post by roy8846 »

crispibits wrote:Hmm, seems Archos support are already too stretched to answer support emails on their existing product range - I'm hazarding a guess that introducing another product isn't going to help

Charbax, as for "That would be before Archos even start releasing ARM Cortex based Ubuntu Linux $199 laptops later this year, with 15 hour battery life and built-in HDMI output, video recording and plenty of other exclusive features." You forgot to mention the Hadron Collider plug-in (available soon, honest), and Unicorn Horn Buffing Attachment (may not buff Unicorn's horns with the first 7 firmware releases) ;-)
made me laugh!!! But how true ;)
Charbax
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Charbax »

strikeback03 wrote:Did they even announce a US MSRP? As mentioned MSRP doesn't mean a lot (Sigma generally announces MSRPs about double actual retail price for their lenses), but MSRP for EU release means even less, as things generally sell for less here than there.

As mentioned, it is just another rebadge of about the same components, so it is logical that Archos cost per unit is about the same as everyone else, so the price should be able to fall to about the same as everyone else.
Or at a lower price. You will notice that you cannot buy that exact design anywhere else if you go down to your local stores.

So it could be Archos did find a cheaper ODM provider of the netbook designs.

In fact it totally looks like it.

Big brands like Acer, Asus, HP, Samsung and the others have plenty of control on the pricing all the way from production to sales, eliminating most of the intermediaries. So even though it kind of is illegal, you do see Acer and the other big brands kind of control reseller margins and retail pricing. That is to control as big a profit margin that they can considering that netbooks are that much cheaper than their usual laptop models.

So I do think that Archos may have found an opportunity here to provide this design at a competitive price, thus a lower price. That would also be the best selling argument.
cghori
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by cghori »

I agree with Charbax. The A10 could be the hottest selling product of the year. I can't wait for the reviews!

I want one!
Chengbin
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Chengbin »

Just taking a glance at the Netbook section of BestBuy US today, and I see NO (that's right) netbook over $400. The highest was Dell's Mini 9 for $380. I don't see how Archos can sell their 10 for $400 with its horrific brand recognition and reputation (and 3 cell battery). If Archos sold the 10 for $300, then it'll have some market, but $400 is just too expensive.
Gr.9 tech lover
cghori
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by cghori »

I will wait until Archos' A10 pricing comes in line with its competitors before I buy. Meanwhile, it's still cheaper than the A5 or A7!
Charbax
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Charbax »

Chengbin wrote:Just taking a glance at the Netbook section of BestBuy US today, and I see NO (that's right) netbook over $400. The highest was Dell's Mini 9 for $380. I don't see how Archos can sell their 10 for $400 with its horrific brand recognition and reputation (and 3 cell battery). If Archos sold the 10 for $300, then it'll have some market, but $400 is just too expensive.
You have to remove up to 20% on MSRP to figure out the cheapest resellers pricing on it. So the Archos 10 3-cell could be sold below $319 (from MSRP $399) and the Archos 10 6-cell could be sold at below $359 (from MSRP $449).
Chengbin
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Chengbin »

Charbax wrote:
Chengbin wrote:Just taking a glance at the Netbook section of BestBuy US today, and I see NO (that's right) netbook over $400. The highest was Dell's Mini 9 for $380. I don't see how Archos can sell their 10 for $400 with its horrific brand recognition and reputation (and 3 cell battery). If Archos sold the 10 for $300, then it'll have some market, but $400 is just too expensive.
You have to remove up to 20% on MSRP to figure out the cheapest resellers pricing on it. So the Archos 10 3-cell could be sold below $319 (from MSRP $399) and the Archos 10 6-cell could be sold at below $359 (from MSRP $449).
Bestbuy is known to sell stuff at MSRP if the item is not on sale. I believe there was only 3 netbook on sale. Bestbuy is usually an excellent source to find MSRP because their original price is 99% MSRP.
Gr.9 tech lover
Charbax
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Charbax »

Chengbin wrote:
Charbax wrote:
Bestbuy is known to sell stuff at MSRP if the item is not on sale. I believe there was only 3 netbook on sale. Bestbuy is usually an excellent source to find MSRP because their original price is 99% MSRP.
The other netbooks on the market have a higher MSRP then the one Archos 10 is launched with. Netbooks by Asus and Samsung for example have an MSRP that is $50 higher for the same hardware configurations.
Chengbin
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Chengbin »

People don't care what the MSRP is, people care about the price on the shelf. The other netbooks might have had a higher price before, but now their price is lower. If Archos can't compete with other netbooks' price, then Archos is not competitive, especially with its brand name.
Gr.9 tech lover
Archos5Fan
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Archos5Fan »

Information is now on the Archos site with specs:

http://www.archos.com/products/nb/archo ... us&lang=en

Return to “Archos 10, Archos 10S and Archos 13”