Official MSRP pricing: 349Ôé¼ (3-cell) 379Ôé¼ (6-cell)

Archos Intel based Laptops
Charbax
Site Admin
Site Admin

Official MSRP pricing: 349Ôé¼ (3-cell) 379Ôé¼ (6-cell)

Post by Charbax »

That basically makes it the cheapest on the market in terms of MSRP pricing. At least as far as I know.
sharp910sh
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Re: Official MSRP pricing: 349Ôé¼ (3-cell) 379Ôé¼ (6-cell)

Post by sharp910sh »

Expensive in the UK at the current conversion rate. the archos 10 is stupid its just like every other netbook, same cpu, same hdd and same ram.
Charbax
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Charbax »

Well 349Ôé¼ should amount to about ┬ú315 in the UK. I guess though they are just a bit too lazy to price it at that for the UK as their MSRP.

Anyways, MSRP is just a suggested retail price. The cheapest resellers might have it soon for sale below 300Ôé¼ thus below ┬ú270 for the 3-cell version and about 30Ôé¼ or ┬ú27 more for the 6-cell version. I don't know how much more for the one with built-in HSDPA if that one is planned as well.
Charbax
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Charbax »

The recommended retail price in the USA is $399 for a 3 cell model and $449 for the 6 cell model.

Anyone know of significantly cheaper recommended retail pricing for competing netbooks with the same configurations?
Archos5Fan
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Archos5Fan »

In the USA, the Acer Aspire One, MSI, HP, Lenovo are retailing for around $349 USD -- the Acer has a smaller screen, but that also makes it more portable so it's a tradeoff. There are some Acers less than $300 USD. Samsungs are a big more expensive at around $449 USD.

The issue isn't that the Archos price is out of line, it isn't really, but what does Archos offer that all of the other brands (much more recognizable in the USA) do not? If I see a row of netbooks before me with six different Acers in different colors, three or four HP, an MSI or two, toss in a couple of Samsungs, Sonys new (although expensive) offering which does make an impression, and maybe a few Apples just because Apple is so big, and one Archos. As a typical consumer in the USA I recognize all of the other brands but I have no idea who Archos is -- why should I pick the Archos?
Charbax
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Charbax »

I am not talking about resellers prices. I am talking about MSRP.

What are the MSRP prices for MSI, Acer, HP, Lenovo and the others?

I believe Archos is the cheapest. $50 cheaper at MSRP than Asus and Samsung.

People look at the price, that is the main thing they look at.
Archos5Fan
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Archos5Fan »

MSRP?!? Who cares about that? I am indicating the prices people are seeing in the stores. Those are the prices people care about. Everyone in the USA thinks that MSRP is a joke. Nobody buys things at MSRP -- unless it's something that people can't get any other way. To compete in the USA market Archos will have to change the price fixing policy.
Charbax
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Charbax »

MSRP is what you start with. The prices in stores can be down to about -20% compared to MSRP.

That all depends what discounts Archos can do for bulk orders and what type of profit margins resellers want to keep for themselves. Some online resellers minimize their own profit margins to be the cheapest and to get most sales.

Archos can only announce MSRP. Just like any other netbook brands out there. Officially they only announce MSRP prices.

So what is the MSRP prices of Asus, Samsung, MSI, HP, Lenovo and the others, that is what matters.

I believe Archos MSRP is $50 cheaper than Asus and Samsung. Thus Archos prices in stores can be at least $50 cheaper for the same hardware specifications.

-20% on MSRP means Archos 10 might be sold at $319 for the 3-cell and $359 for the 6-cell at the cheapest resellers pretty quickly. That's a whole bunch cheaper then most other netbook prices that I have seen having the same hardware configurations.

Asus 1000h 3-cell is $379 on Amazon.com which means Archos would be $60 cheaper than Asus at the same hardware configuration. Samsung Nc10 6-cell is $459 on Amazon.com which means Archos would be $100 cheaper than Samsung at the same hardware configuration.
Archos5Fan
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Archos5Fan »

Yes there is a MSRP of sorts, but the average consumer in the USA does not pay attention to it and competitive, profitable retailers do not sell at the MSRP. People in the USA think that buying at MRSP is a ripoff. They know that merchandise can be purchased for less money. Archos is facing a struggle because of name recognition. People recognize and know HP, ASUS, Sony, MSI, Dell, Lenovo, Samsung, Apple. The price differentiation (if there is any) is not enough -- and there are netbooks (regardless of hardware configuration) that sell for less than $300 USD.

Maybe Archos will come up with something to create good sales figures, but in the the USA, I think it will be difficult -- there is just too much to choose from at similar and lower prices.
kb
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by kb »

Given how competitive this market is at the moment, and given that most (all?) the hardware comes out of the same bunch of factories in China, and given how all they all (with a few notable exceptions) are supplied with the same OS and software, then... if the Archos netbook is available for sale substantially cheaper than the competition, surely you have to wonder why?

In fact, there are netbooks (e.g., from Advent) on retail sale in the UK with what appears to be identical specification to the Archos, for £279. The Archos is going to have to be a lot cheaper than its recommended selling price to compete.
Charbax
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Charbax »

MSRP in EU outside of the UK is £315. Substract 20% of the cheapest resellers margin and you've got the Archos 10 3-cell that can be sold at £252.

People decide on pricing above all other considerations when it comes to the netbook market.

Archos found an opportunity to position itself potentially cheaper then all of Asus, Samsung, MSI, HP, Lenovo and the others. That could potentially sell the Archos 10 by the bucket-loads.

It all comes down to the distribution channels, bulk order pricing and delivery effeciency and Archos could sell anywhere from 50 thousand to a million of these laptops per year.

That would be before Archos even start releasing ARM Cortex based Ubuntu Linux $199 laptops later this year, with 15 hour battery life and built-in HDMI output, video recording and plenty of other exclusive features.
Archos5Fan
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Archos5Fan »

It's all potential. But if the average USA customer is looking at a shelf full of netbooks why would the person pick Archos instead of the other brands the customer recognizes? How does Archos distinguish itself? The price isn't low enough to set itself apart.
Charbax
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Charbax »

Archos 10 is cheaper, it has a screen, a keyboard, it's black. People will buy it.
Archos5Fan
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Archos5Fan »

Some people will -- but will enough buy it? The price the customer will pay is about what others sell for (forget MSRP) -- more than some less than others. We'll see if the Archos 10 starts to appear on USA retail shelves. Maybe Best Buy USA will stock it in their stores rather than have it "online only". Circuit City, the only retail chain in the USA that I know of that stock Archos on the retail shelf, is in bankruptcy and on the auction block. Let's hope Archos USA is not owed much money from Circuit City.
Charbax
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Charbax »

Archos5Fan wrote:Some people will -- but will enough buy it?
What is enough for you?

I'm not saying Archos will sell more than Acer, I'm saying there is plenty of opportunity to sell tons and tons of it. A ton is a thousand laptops. So I',m saying Archos will sell at least 50 tons, perhaps up to 1000 tons of it per year.
Archos5Fan
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Archos5Fan »

Enough for me is enough for Archos to make a profit, solidify itself in current and new markets, enhance customer support and provide funding for research and development.
Charbax
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Charbax »

They probably make profit as soon as the sell the first one.

The only salaries they need to pay to sell this product are for the sales people that are going to be calling up the supermarkets and resellers to do the distribution deals.

It all comes down to what deals Archos sales people can make for how many units shipped how fast to the supermarket buyers.
Archos5Fan
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Archos5Fan »

Then let's hope Archos can make those deals and get solid distribution.
Loserfish
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Loserfish »

It's not even sure yet, what it'll cost in stores.. so why you have to speculate and argue about it?

I'd guess we already know that it's hard for Charbax to see the bad in Archos...
crispibits
Archos User
Archos User

Post by crispibits »

Hmm, seems Archos support are already too stretched to answer support emails on their existing product range - I'm hazarding a guess that introducing another product isn't going to help

Charbax, as for "That would be before Archos even start releasing ARM Cortex based Ubuntu Linux $199 laptops later this year, with 15 hour battery life and built-in HDMI output, video recording and plenty of other exclusive features." You forgot to mention the Hadron Collider plug-in (available soon, honest), and Unicorn Horn Buffing Attachment (may not buff Unicorn's horns with the first 7 firmware releases) ;-)

Return to “Archos 10, Archos 10S and Archos 13”